The WEN 56180 1800W generator is very popular among homeowners for a few good reasons. First, it’s reliable and well-constructed. And second, it’s cheap — and by “cheap,” I mean “affordable.” Let me tease you with a couple facts: It weighs only 50 lbs., making it relatively lightweight and can run for 7.5 hours while operating at 50% load.
Not all homeowners need a 13,000W generator, like the WEN 5613K, to power their entire home. No, if you want to run your microwave, TV, sump pump, miter saw, refrigerator, or juicer, then the WEN 56180 is a great choice. But, you won’t be able to run them all a the same time. That’s one of the main differences between a 1800W generator and a 13,000W generator — the amount of electrical devices you can power at the same time.
Luckily, WEN has a wide range of generators available and we give you some options to consider.
WEN 56180 | Which Generator is Right for You?
A portable generator can be a very resourceful piece of equipment to have in case of emergencies as well as for recreational use. The number of uses that a quality genset can serve range from convenience to a necessity and there are plenty of models to choose from. The WEN 56180, for instance, is a great option to meet most of the typical demands put on a portable generator.
Having the best portable generator comes down to what its intended use will be for. How do you know what generator model will work for you? It’s about how much power you really need. Take a look at the appliances around you and what you would absolutely need to have power to if you didn’t have access to electricity.
For the average Joe (or Mary), the WEN 56180 is not only a great option to meet your needs, it is also very easy on the wallet. If cost is a major deciding factor on the generator you seek out to buy, then this model is a considerable option for those on a tight budget.
Components of the WEN 56180 Generator
About WEN | The Company
A little info about the manufacturer WEN: They may not be as popular as some of the other big names that you are likely more familiar with, but it doesn’t mean they are any less reliable. The company is committed to manufacturing power tools and equipment with quality and value to professionals as well as average homeowners. They have even gained some recognition with their WEN 56180 (1800-watt) portable generator as a contender for one of the most reliable generators for 2015-2016.
WEN provides a line of highly rated generators to accommodate different needs. Their gas-powered gensets are designed with quality features to ensure long-lasting value such as low-oil shutdown to protect the engines from becoming damaged if oil levels drop below a certain level. Their generators all come equipped with a spark arrestor (or spark arrester) so they are safe and approved for use in National parks. Likewise, WEN provides a number of CARB-compliant models that emit minimal exhaust for better eco-friendly quality.
WEN 56200i | Ultra-quiet Inverter Generator | Clean Energy
Another factor that is commendable with WEN, in addition to quality, is their customer service. They can provide self-help instructions to users on proper assembly and usage of their products as well as advise on maintenance and answer any questions regarding particular models. They also stand behind their commitment to quality by offering reasonable warranties on their generators in case of defects or malfunctions.
WEN also has service centers all across the USA. You can check your area for service centers before you decide to make your purchase. Let’s be honest, products break down all the time, even the best brands. Thankfully, WEN has an excellent history of reliability. Mechanical products, like generators, take a lot of abuse so it’s inevitable that at some point you will need a repair or servicing done.
Overview | Full WEN Generator Series:
- WEN 56180 | 1800 Watt | 98cc
- WEN 56352 | 3500 Watt | 212cc
- WEN 56400 | 4050 Watt | 212cc
- WEN 56475 | 4750 Watt | 223cc
- WEN 56551 | 5500 Watt | 389cc
- WEN 56682 | 7000 Watt | 390cc
- WEN 56877 | 9000 Watt | 420cc
- WEN 5613K | 13000 Watt | 670cc
The Lightweight : WEN 56180 — 1800W Generator
- EPA III and CARB compliant. Can be used in all 50 states.
- 1800 surge watts and 1500 running watts. Power whenever you need it.
- Runs at half load for 7.5 hours off of 1.45 gallons of gasoline
- Includes: two AC120V 12.5A three-prong wall outlets and one cigarette-lighter (12V DC).
- Low-oil shutdown protects the 4-stroke OHV engine.
- Spark arrestor prevents sparks from escaping the generator, allowing you to use it while camping in national parks and forests.
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the WEN 56180 gas generator.
The WEN 56180 1800-watt portable generator is small in size and price, but not in performance! At just 50 pounds it’s very easy to transport if you want to go tailgating or camping and has enough power to run essential appliances in the event of a blackout. This model provides 1800 surge watts and 1500 running watts with two 120V 12.5A AC 3-prong outlets and a 12V DC outlet.
WEN Cover | Waterproof and UV Resistant
Like many of WEN’s generators, the portable 1800-watt generator is equipped with a 4-stroke overhead valve engine that is well known for providing fuel efficiency. The 1.45-gallon gas tank will fuel your unit to run for up to 7.5 hours at half load. You’ll not only save money on the upfront cost of this value-sized generator, your fuel usage will go further as well.
A Step Up : WEN 56352 — 3500-Watt Generator
- Digital readout helps manage oil changes and maintenance schedule.
- Low-oil shutdown and overload protection.
- 11-hour run-time at half load.
- Includes wheel kit and foldable handles for easy transport.
- 212cc engine provides 3500 surge watts and 3000 rated watts.
If you’re seeking an all-purpose generator model that is just a step up from the basic performance that the WEN 56180 portable generator provides, this one may be more up to your standards. The 212cc engine puts out up to 3500 surge watts and rated at 3300 watts. It will give you an average run-time of 11 hours when operating at half load. An added feature this model has that is a nice touch for just a little over $100 more than the 56180 is a digital control panel with maintenance schedule reminders and a wheel kit for easier mobility.
View or download the following documents for the WEN 56352:
- ✓ MANUAL
- ✓ PARTS
- ✓ BRUSH ASSEMBLY
- ✓ CARB ASSEMBLY
- ✓ AIR CLEANER REMOVAL
- ✓ AIR CLEANER & CARB REMOVAL
- ✓ WIRING DIAGRAM
Advice from the Manual (page 20):
The generator can run at its surge wattage capacity for only a short time. Connect electrical devices requiring a rated (running) wattage equal to or less than the rated wattage of the generator. Never connect devices requiring a rated wattage equal to the surge wattage of the generator. This can trip the circuit protectors (circuit breakers).
The Savvy Generator: WEN 56551 | 5500-Watt
Non-CARB compliant — Not For Sale in California.
- 389cc (13 HP) OHV engine. 5500 surge watts / 5000 running watts.
- 6.5-gallon fuel tank runs for 11 hours at half load.
- Automatic voltage regulator helps produce cleaner power to protect your electronics.
- Includes: (4x) 120V 20A three-prong outlets / (1x) twist-lock 120/240V 30A outlet (L14-30) / (1x) cigarette-lighter-style 12V DC outlet.
- Includes wheel and handle kit, NEMA L14-30 plug.
- 120 and 240 Volt AC Outputs.
- Low Oil Automatic Shutoff.
- Circuit Breaker for Overload Protection.
- 2-year warranty.
Documents for the WEN 56551 :
One factor to keep in mind when it comes to conventional gas-powered generators is that they aren’t usually advised for use with sensitive electronics. The 56551 model features an automatic voltage regulator, which enables it to provide cleaner power that protects these electronics.
If your laptop is a crucial device you need to have power to in case of a blackout, this model is a safer bet. It has four 120V 20A outlets, a twist-lock 120/240V 30A receptacle and even a car-charger style 12V DC outlet to give you more options with up to 5500 surge wattage.
— Advice from the WEN 56551 Manual (Page 4):
ALWAYS ground the generator before using it (see the “Ground the Generator” portion of the “GENERATOR PREPARATION” section).
- Generator should only be plugged into electrical devices, either directly or with an extension cord. NEVER connect to a building electrical system without a qualified electrician. Such connections must comply with local electrical laws and codes. Failure to comply can create a back-feed, which may result in serious injury or death to utility workers.
Use for highly conductive areas | TRC 26020008-6 (12/3 Gauge) — Shockshield GFCI
- Use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) in highly conductive areas such as metal decking or steel work. GFCIs are available in-line with some extension cords.
- Do not use in rainy conditions.
- Do not touch bare wires or receptacles (outlets).
- Do not allow children or non-qualified persons to operate.
The MacDaddy of Generators:
WEN 5613K 13,000-Watt | Gas Generator
*Not CARB-compliant. Can’t be sold in California. EPA III compliant.
- EPA III compliant.
- 4-stroke OHV twin-cylinder engine.
- 13000 surge watts / 11000 rated watts
- Four — 120V 20A outlets,
- One — 120V 30A RV outlet,
- One — 120/240V 30A twist lock,
- One — 240V outlet, and one 12V DC car-charger-style outlet
- Perfect for construction sites, natural disasters, and power outages.
- 8-gallon fuel tank— 7.5 hour run time at half load.
- Wheel kit and handle kit allows for easy transportation and storage.
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the WEN 5613K generator.
If you are seeking enough power to supply backup electricity to your home without the expense of traditional whole-home generators, WEN has the unit for you. The 5613K model is still portable, equipped on a rugged wheel-kit and handle kit to make handling and moving around easier, but has some impressive horsepower.
This generator produces up to 13,000 surge watts and rated at 11,000 watts making it ideal for use with industrial sites or in the event of a natural disaster. It’s not the best in fuel efficiency with an 8-gallon fuel tank that offers the same run time of 7.5 hours as the WEN 56180 portable generator, but it will certainly run just about everything you need.
Before using any generator for the first time, it is highly advised that you read the user manual to understand how to operate your genset and necessary care to ensure long-lasting use.
These gensets arrive without oil in them so you will need to purchase the proper oil required for the model you are using. For instance, 30W 4-stroke engine oil is the recommended choice for use with the WEN 56180 portable generator. You can usually find the oil capacity that the unit takes labeled somewhere on the frame or refer to the manual.
WEN recommends that you ground your generator prior to use. Grounding power equipment such as generators that provide electricity will protect against electrocution. Various locations may have different grounding codes so you should consult with an electrician on these codes first. Your WEN generator features a grounding nut on the front panel of the unit to attach a grounding wire to it. Connect the grounding wire to a rod such as copper, brass, or steel-grounding to drive into the ground and you’re all set.
You will need to protect your genset from the elements, especially during periods of non-use. Be sure to drain oil and gas or use a stabilizer to prevent it from gumming up the engine when storing your generator. WEN offers a universal weatherproof cover that can be purchased separately to protect your unit; however it will be significantly large on the smaller WEN 56180 model. Some users have reported that this model is just the right size to be kept in a 22-gallon plastic storage tote.
CARB-Compliant and EPA generators mean they are approved and safe for use in most states due to reduced emissions and providing cleaner running power. This doesn’t mean it’s ok to use in an enclosed space close to your home such as a garage, however. Always use gas-powered equipment such as generators in open, well-ventilated areas away from doors and entryways.
Learn more about WEN by visiting their site.