As far as overall value you won’t find a better generator than this WGen7500 from Westinghouse. For starters, Westinghouse has been in business since 1886 so they know how to make generators. This truly is the best 7500 watt generator in 2021. And incidentally, it provides 7500W of running power and 9500 watts of starting power. That’s important to note. It’s ready to be connected to your home via its 30A outlet. It’s CARB compliant, has a remote start fob, GFCI outlets, and more. It also comes in a duel-fuel version (WGEN7500DF) which can run on either gas or propane, providing you more options during a natural disaster or emergency. It’s easier to find propane during an emergency and it can be stored indefinitely, unlike gasoline.
⭐️ Top 5 Best 7500W generators for 2021
Fact : A 7500W generator can run the following simultaneously : Water heater, fan heater, microwave, fridge (or freezer), washing machine, TV and five 75 watt light-bulbs. This would require a generator with 10,000W of starting (peak) power and 7500W or running (rated) power. Read : What can a 7500W generator run?
Best 7500W Specialty Generators
A brand says a lot about a generator even before you look at the specifics. The reputation of a brand is important, absolutely essential, in my humble opinion. We wrote this to help you determine the best 7500 watt generator for your power needs, whether for emergency backup when the lights go out, for the jobsite, a natural disaster or whatever else you need it for. Let’s start with our top 5 generators during this pandemic. It’s 2021 the time of writing this and we’re all holding our breath waiting for the vacccine. In the US alone, over 500,000 people have died from COVID19. It’s heartbreaking. This has been a difficult time for most of us. I’ve personally struggled with the isolation for such an extended period of time. I know, you’re here to find the best 7500W generator — keep reading and you’ll find some great choices. These are all excellent in their own way.
What’s the best 7500 generator for your money in 2021? Well, we’ve already shown you a few models, but there are more. One of the favorites with consumers is the dual-fuel Westinghouse WGEN7500DF) — which we’ve reviewed, but in general, customers absolutely love the value and reliability inherent in these Westinghouse 7500W generators.
The best indicator of a quality generator is what is the average opinion of buying customers. Never listen to the opinion of one; it’s not the gospel, or the consensus —
This Dual-fuel from Westinghouse is the best value as far as 7500 watt generators go. For a little extra money over a standard single fuel generator, you get the ability to use propane, which you can store indefinitely. Gas spoils within a year (with fuel stabilizers), so having a secondary option of using propane will be priceless after a disaster, emergency or a massive power outage.
I recommend a dual fuel because it gives you more options when fuel is scarce. Propane is something you an easily stock up on, especially with a tank in your yard. Less risk and no maintenance. Keep it full and use it when you need it. Gas is a little more challenging, and like milk, gas expires.
★ Versatile Power – — 7500W Dual-Fuel : Champion 100165
This is a top contender for the best 7500 watt portable generator in 2021. Built tough, reliable, and versatile thanks to its ability to run on either gas or propane. When the power goes out, it’s nice to have the option to use a variety of fuel sources, especially because gas spoils after about a year and propane can last indefinitely making it a lifesaver during a time of need.
It won’t let you down when you need it the most, which is important. Buy with confidence. See the main features below.
Features — Champion 100165 Dual-fuel
- 7500-Watt Dual Fuel Generator : Gas / Propane
- Electric start (includes battery)
- Cold Start Technology for sub-zero weather
- Monitors : Voltage, hertz and run-time hours.
- Low oil shut-off sensor
- 439cc Champion engine
- Gas = 9375 starting watts / 7500 running watts
- On Gas = Will run for 8 hours at 50% load
- Propane= 8400 starting watts / 6750 running watts,
- On Propane : Will run for 5.5 hours at 50% load (20-lb.) tank.
- Comes with : 3.3-ft. propane hose w/built-in regulator.
- Noise level : 74 dBA from 23 feet
- Outlets : 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R), 120/240V 30A locking outlet (L14-30R) as well as 4x 120V 20A GFCI protected household outlets (5-20R).
- Well-packaged : Clear directions, easy to setup
- EPA / CARB compliant
- 3-year limited warranty and FREE lifetime technical support.
Champion 100165 : Run this generator on either propane or gas. Versatile backup power.
Generators — The Sizing Problem
Two of the most common questions consumers have about generators are : What is a generator? and, what size generator do I need? — but for this article, you probably want to know : how much can a 7500W generator run?
The internet provides us with a variety of complicated answers to such an innocent question. Sometimes it’s so hard to translate all the technical terms into simple practical knowledge. That is the reason why most people do not even bother to find out the core meaning of the word ‘generator’.
Best Generator. Period! 7000W Honda Inverter
I know, this is not a full 7500W generator, but it’s worth considering, depending on your budget. Yes, it’s expensive — but it’s a Honda, with a Honda engine.
Read our full review on the Honda EU7000iS. As good as it gets!
- Perfect for home back up power, RVs, outdoor events, and more
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Smart electronic fuel injection technology increases fuel efficiency, eliminates the engine choke, and reduces fuel associated carburetor problems.
- Honda GX390 engine
- Super quiet : operates at 52 to 58 dB : Less noise than a normal conversation.
- Fuel efficient – runs up to 18 hours
- Eco-Throttle System
- Advanced inverter technology – reliable power for computers and other sensitive equipment
- Easy folding handles
- Tracks hours, RPM, battery volts, and wattage
- GFCI Outlets / Fuel gauge standard
- Two GFCI 20 amp, 120 V duplex outlets, meeting ETL and NEC standards.
- 120/240V Selector switch – More usable power, more flexibility
- 3 year residential and commercial warranty
- Parallel Ready : Connect two EU7000iS with optional parallel kit
- Convenient push button electric start
- Protected by Oil Alert / Electronic circuit breakers
I know, this Honda is pricey, but my goodness — if I were to buy one generator, this would it. Everything is second best. Having said that, buy what you can afford and need. No need to overspend.
Another recommendation, dare I say “highly recommended.” It’s another Westinghouse (below) . Did you know that Westinghouse has been in business since 1886. They know how to make generators and machinery that stand up to repeated daily usage. Over time, you’ll be happy to have spent the money on a reputable brand.
★ BEST 7500W Dual-Fuel Generator ►Westinghouse WGen7500DF
Features : Westinghouse Dual-Fuel
- Dual Fuel – Gasoline or Propane
- Gas = 9,500 Peak Watts, 7,500 Running Watts
- Propane = 8,550 Peak Watts, 6,750 Running Watts
- Push Button Start / Remote Start
- Gas = Up to 16 Hour Run Time (6.6 gal)
- 420cc Westinghouse OHV Engine with Cast Iron Sleeve
- Connect to your home with : L14-30R Receptacle
- Monitors : Volts, Frequency, and Lifetime Hours
- 3-Year Warranty
- EPA, CSA, CARB Compliant
💬 In a nutshell, enough power to run your home when the power goes out. Ready to connect with the use of a transfer switch (sold separately). Enables you to use gas or propane when fuel is scarce. Shipped direct to your door. No fuss. Easy as can be. Need more power? Consider the Westinghouse 9500 watt model (also available as a dual-fuel). Read our full review.
What is a Generator?
A generator is a device that is designed to produce electricity. How? A simple way of saying it would be, a generator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. Simple? No? Well then a little more information will help.
What is mechanical energy?
Every object that is in motion has a certain amount of energy. This is called mechanical energy. It is associated both with position of the object as well as the motion at which it is traveling.
As we dwell into the functioning a generator, you will get a better understanding of how it works.
How does a generator work? — A generator uses the simple principle that a man called Michael Faraday discovered, all the way back in 1831. He called this principle, the ‘Principle of electromagnetic induction’.
Video | Consumer Reports Generator Guide
Sounds complicated? Let’s simplify it.
First things first… Let’s clarify what an electric current really is. The movement or flow of electric charges is called electric current. This is the same current that powers devices in your home.
The next thing we need to understand is what an electric conductor is.
Any device that allows electric charges to flow through it is called an electric conductor. Those devices which do not allow the current to flow through it easily are called bad conductors. Good conductors allow the electric current to move through them easily.
GET MORE FOR LESS | WEN DF1100T : 11000W start / Gas & Propane
- Propane : 9,500 surge and 7,500 running watts
- Gasoline : 11,000 surge / 8,300 running watts
- Includes : 47-inch LPG hose for immediate connection to propane tanks.
- OUTLET : four 120V GFCI outlets (5-20R), a 120V 30A twist lock outlet (L5-30R), a 120V/240V 50A outlet (NEMA 14-50R), and a 12V DC cigarette-lighter-style plug.
- 457cc Air-cooled OHV Engine
- Electric Start System
- 120V/240V (AC), 12V (DC) Voltage Capability
- 6.6-gallon Fuel Tank
- 47-inch LPG Hose
- Digital LED Hour Counter
- Automatic Voltage Regulator and Overload Protection
- Wheel and Handle Kit
Why is this important? You will understand why in a moment.
Faraday discovered that if you moved an electric conductor (a wire), through a magnetic field electric charges would begin to flow through the wire.
This principle forms the basis on which generators were designed and made. That being said, you will imagine huge magnets and large lengths of wire. Today’s generators however come in relatively compact sizes compared to the initial ones. Each generator has a different size and a different output.
Choosing A Generator Based On Size
Choosing the right sized generator is very important. This is simply because, the generator needs to support your electricity requirements. If your generator is too small, chances are you will be putting a high load of stress on the device. This means that the generator will have potential malfunctions and your entire maintenance costs will also increase.
Aside from this, a wrong sized generator can also adversely affect the devices that it is supplying power to. This means that you will have frequent equipment failures. Inadvertently, your expenditure will also rise.
Before we start talking about how to choose the right size, it is prudent that we understand what are the different ranges of generators that are available in the market.
Examples of how many watts it takes to run electrical devices:
Generators can be broadly divided based on the place where they are used. Residential generators have capacities which range from 5kW to 50kW. Commercial generators on the other hand, are much larger. These have capacities which range from 50kW to over 3 Megawatts.
Many people believe that a small generator will do the job. The reason that people give for this rationale is that they do not use the generator all the time. This is in fact a very popular myth and it is advisable not to follow the same line of thought. Why?
The size of the generator does not depend upon the duration of it’s use. It however depends on how much power the device is required to provide. By under sizing the device, you put undue load on it as well as all the equipment it supplies. In this case remember that having more power is always better than having less power.
Video | Consumer Reports Generator Buying Tips
What Size Generator do I Need?
If you need to calculate on your own, there are certain things that you must keep in mind.
The first thing that you need to know is your requirements. Another way to phrase this is… How much power do you need your generator to supply? To know this you need to make a list of the following things:
- The items that will be powered by the new generator
- The wattage of each item both at the starting point as well as when the device is on.
- The final calculation of the power required to be supplied in KVA or kW
Most people will wonder how to get the wattage of each item. This information is usually written on a plate on the concerned device. If it isn’t, then check the manual. If by some chance you have misplaced the manual, type the model number on the any search engine on the internet and you will get the required details.
Calculating the wattage required is complicated and time consuming. More importantly, you cannot afford to get your calculations wrong. Use the following interactive wattage calculator (from Westinghouse) to determine the right size generator for your needs. Don’t skip this part!
Let’s take a quick glance at some generators that have gained popularity over the last few years.
Additional Generator Sizing Resources (wattage calculator):
- Briggs & Stratton Generator Guide
- Generac wattage calculator
- Honda Generator Guide
- Yamaha Generator Guide
For full details on generator sizing I recommend reading our comprehensive article entitled: How Big of A Generator Do I Need? This goes into great detail on how to select the right size generator. It truly is important. There’s no sense in spending money on a generator that won’t handle all the electrical devices you plan on powering. Although, we recommend buying a slightly larger generator than you think you need because it’s better to have too much power than not enough.
A 7500 watt generator is an excellent size for most homeowners because it provides more than enough power to run a wide range of home devices.
Westinghouse WH7500E | 7500 Watt Generator
Features (WH7500E) : old model
- Easy-to-use Operator Control Center.
- Easy to start with our Westinghouse One-Touch Electric Start System.
- VR System : Voltage regulated power.
- Quiet operation via our Pulse-Flo muffler- creating one of the quietest generators on the market.
- Includes everything to get started right out of the box-wheel kit & handle kit (some assembly required) oil, funnel, and a tool kit.
- 9000 starting watts / 7500 running watts
- Electric start: Also has manual start. Includes battery for electric start.
- Cast iron sleeved 420 cc engine with 6.6-gallon fuel tank.
- Outlets: Qty 4 = 5-20R 120-volt; Qty 1 = L14-30R 120/240-volt twist.
- 11 hours of run time at 50% load.
- Noise reduction Pulse Flo muffler.
- Non-CARB compliant. Not for sale in California.
Overview | Westinghouse WH7500E | 7500 Watt Generator
The Westinghouse WH7500E is designed to be a portable generator. The designers have not cut corners when designing this particular model. The WH7500E has easily made it’s way to the list of the top five portable generators. Let us take a look at why this model is so special.
This model is fitted with a particularly heavy duty engine. It even comes with cast iron cylinder sleeves, forged pistons and connecting rods. Got a little lost in the technical jargon did you? The multitude of words simply meant that the WH7500E has an engine which is durable.
It doesn’t come as surprise when Westinghouse claims that this model generates a lot of electricity. The WH7500E generates around 9000 surge watts and 7500 running watts. This is something that you may want to note down. After all, it is one of the main criteria that you should check before deciding on the model you want to buy.
The WH7500E has an inbuilt voltage control feature. This makes this generator relatively stable compared to others. It also ensures a high quality electrical output which is safe for your devices to use.
This generator boasts of fantastic run-time. Most of the generator models run for eight to ten hours at half load. What does that mean? It means that once you fill the generator up with fuel, it will take the generator eight to ten hours to use half of the fuel in the tank. The WH7500E has a distinct advantage here. It can last for twelve to thirteen hours on half tank.
The reduced usage of fuel means that the WH7500E is both efficient and more environment friendly as compared to other models.
How does the generator start? Many of the older generators require to be hand cranked. This means that you have to spend some time and a considerable amount of effort and energy to get them started. The WH7500E has a distinct advantage here. It has an electric start option which makes it easy and convenient to use.
Another important feature that we look at is the noise level. The WH7500E comes with an oversized noise reduction pulse flo muffler. This helps reduce the sound output to as low as 71 decibels. This is extremely impressive given the fact that it is a many 5000 watt generators are usually much louder.
Though the device is definitely not light, it is surprisingly compact. The measurements of the device are 27 inches in length, 22 inches in height and 20.5 inches in breadth. This will give you a rough idea of how big the WH7500E is. Though the weight makes portability an issue, the device comes with it’s own wheel kit and collapsible wheelbarrow handles.
**If you need a smaller generator (and cheaper), consider the Westinghouse iGen4200 (read our review) generator.
Features (iGen4200) :
- 5500 Running Watts and 6850 Peak Watts; Recoil Start; Up to 20 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank with Fuel Gauge; Hour Meter; Oil Capacity – 1.1L
- Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5–20r 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle.
- All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes With Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420 CC Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast
- Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- EPA, CARB, and CSA Compliant
- 3-Year Limited Warranty;
Learn more about Westinghouse products.
Is a 7500 Generator the Correct Size for You?
The brief overview of the above three different generators helps us understand that though each device has it’s own engine and own mechanism, the end product is always electricity. The devices can be compared with each other based on the amount of electricity that they provide. Some people also like to compare noise levels. Noise levels are important because you don’t want a noisy generator hammering out a tune next to your backdoor.
Choosing a generator may seem difficult. With an expert appraisal of your house and electricity needs, the choices get narrowed down considerably. The rule of thumb is… Less is never the best!
Conntek YL530520S | 30-Amp
- Generator Y Adapter Cord,
- NEMA L5-30P to NEMA L5-20Rx2
- Assembly Plug & Connector
- Max Power 3750W
- Comparable with Coleman 01915
10-circuit, 30 Amp manual transfer switch kit includes everything required for a complete transfer switch installation.
View or download the MANUAL. It’s always good to know what you’re getting into before buying a product. And, if you don’t know what you’re doing, hire a trained electrician.
- 30 Amp inlet box installs outdoors
- 10 foot 30 Amp cord goes from the generator to the inlet box
- Extra 20 Amp cord plug included for use with smaller generators
- Wire connectors and instructional DVD included
- 10-circuit, 30 Amp transfer switch for enabling generator
- For use for generators UP TO 8000-watts.
- CUL1008 listed; 5-year warranty
Find more dual-fuel generator available | Read our Buying Guide
Generac GP7500E (5943) | 7500 Watt Generator
- Generac’s OHV engine with splash lubrication provides a long engine life.
- Hour meter tracks maintenance intervals.
- Large-capacity steel fuel tank with incorporated fuel gauge provides durability and extended run times.
- Low-oil level shutdown automatically safeguards engine from damage.
- Covered outlets provides added protection from the environment and rugged working conditions.
- Hardened 1 1/4″ steel tube cradle for added durability and strength.
- Fold-down, locking handle for sturdy portability and compact storage.
- Heavy-duty, never-flat wheels for reliable transportation.
- Plug-in battery charger jack keeps battery charged and ready to go.
- CSA Certified.
Overview | GP7500E | 7500 Watt Generator
The Generac GP7500E is another great device. It packs a power output of 7500 watts and has a surge power of up to 9375 watts. What does this mean for us? It means that the Generac GP7500E can easily power a small home. Is that all that the Generac GP7500E has to offer? Let’s take a look at the model to find out!
The Generac GP7500E is powered by a 420cc OHV engine. This engine runs at 3600 rpm. This is what gives the Generac GP7500E the ability to produce so much electricity.
The heavy duty hardened steel tube used in the engine makes it extremely durable.
This is a gas portable generator. It can run straight through the night.
This particular model offers two start options. One is the conventional recoil start system and the second is the more advanced electrical start system. This means that you can choose whichever method makes you more comfortable. The electrical start system uses a 12V 10AH lead battery.
The model unfortunately does not come with a DC plug. Luckily it offers you a variety of options in terms of AC outlets. Make sure you confirm which one is best suited for you before you install this device.
Another interesting feature that has been incorporated in this model is the splash lubricant system. In addition to this, the model also comes with a low-oil shut down feature. This means that the Generac GP7500E will automatically shut down the moment it senses that there is less amount of oil in it’s system. This can save you a lot of maintenance costs which can be incurred if you do not regularly top up the oil.
Watch this Insightful Video
Like the WH7500E, the Generac GP7500E also has a twelve hour half tank time. This makes it energy efficient and more environment friendly than other models.
The Generac GP7500E comes equipped with an hour meter. This meter lets you know how much time you have between each maintenance check. Regular maintenance checks ensure that the device functions optimally.
It uses low tone mufflers to reduce the noise that it produces.
Learn more on the Generac site.
Smarter Tools ST-GP7500DEB | 7500 Watt Generator
Dual-fuel generator — Propane & Gas
NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
Fantastic emergency generator. Capable of powering your Refrigerator, well pump, microwave, heater blower and lights.
- 7500 Starting Watts / 6200 Continuous Watts (6750/5580 on propane)
- 9 hours @50% load on 6.6 Gallons of Gasoline-Spend less time refueling.
- 389cc 4-stroke Air cooled OHV motor – Plenty of strength to produce the power you need.
- Four 120V 20A outlets, a 120V 30A Twist-lock AC (L5-30R), a 120/240V (NEMA L14-30R) 30A Twist-lock outlet, and one 12V 8A DC-Multiple options for providing power.
- Overload protection.
- 73 dB Noise level – Quiet Operation spark arrest muffler.
- Low oil shutdown : Prevents generator from running on low oil levels.
- Digital Hour/Volt/Hz Meter : Hour meter — Tracks your run-time for scheduled maintenance and Volt meter. Ensures correct voltage for your appliances.
- Fuel gauge : Informs you when you need to add fuel.
- 10” wheels never go flat. Includes wheel kit, making it easy to move around.
- EPA approved and CARB-Compliant.
View or download the MANUAL for the ST-GP7500DEB.
Overview | ST-GP7500DEB | 7500 Watt Generator
The Smarter tools ST-GP7500DEB makes another good choice if you are looking for a generator. It is a hardworking device which is said to provide comfort to the owner. Let us take a look at just how this particular device functions.
Owner Video Review
The ST-GP7500DEB has a 398cc, 13HP, 4-stroke, OHV engine. The engine is air cooled. This is what gives the device the 7500 surge watts and the 6200 continuous watts.
The engine runs for nine hours on 50 percent of tank. It’s engine holds around 6.6 gallons of fuel.
The ST-GP7500DEB can be run either on unleaded natural gas or on propane (LPG).
The digital meter keeps track of the devices need for maintenance. It serves as a reminder for the owner so that frequent maintenance checkups are done.
Examples of wattage to run devices.
The device also comes with a fuel gauge which enables you to check and see what is the level of fuel in the tank. This means you won’t run out of fuel suddenly. You can also top up the tank before it runs dry!
The ST-GP7500DEB comes with a low oil shutdown function. This is extremely useful as you don’t want to unknowingly cause harm to the machine.
Another great feature is the ten inch wheels which come along with the device. It makes the ST-GP7500DEB extremely portable and easy to move.
An overload protection has also been incorporated into the device. This helps to protect both the device and your appliances.