What’s the best ATV snow plow kit? When winter storms come to your city or town you want to be prepared beforehand. An ATV snow plow is a smart way to take advantage of your existing ATV and make it work for you when snow comes knocking.
Snow removal can be a daunting, yet necessary task. If you live in an area that is susceptible to heavy snowfall, then you know that a mere snow shovel just won’t do the trick. This is where having an appropriate machine can come in handy. There are many options available so doing some research beforehand can help you make a well-informed decision. An ATV snow plow is a considerable option that can offer versatility and save you money in the long-run.
The first patents for snowplows were filed during the 1840s, but the first snowplow wasn’t actually manufactured until 1862. Back then, snowplows were attached to a cart pulled by several horses through the snow-covered streets. Luckily, we don’t have to rely on horses anymore.
Best ATV Snow Plow Kit?
There’s more than one way to get the snow cleared and there are a number of factors to consider when deciding on one that best suits your needs. With this being an El Nino year, it may be wise to plan ahead for what’s to come. You could be faced with unpredictable weather changes which may translate into much more snowfall than you anticipated. If you already own an ATV, then you might just be one step ahead of the game.
Snowbelt cities like Buffalo and Syracuse (New York) are two of the snowiest cities in the United States. Each receiving over 100-inches of snow every year. But there are many other cities that receive significant amounts of snowfall each year. Salt Lake City, Utah, Anchorage, Alaska, and Denver, Colorado, have each received 2.5 meters (8 feet) or more in the past.
Do you live in the top 101 snowiest cities in the USA? Read the full list.
The Weather is Unpredictable
As you may have noticed, global weather patterns are changing rapidly. Nowadays, when it rains it pours, arid regions are becoming drought-stricken and if you live in a city along the snowbelt, you have a greater risk of being buried by winter storms. My suggestion is to hope for the best BUT prepare for the worst. You’ll sleep better at night if you follow my advice.
An ATV snow plow is basically a blade or snow plow that can be equipped onto an ATV or a UTV to clear away snow from walkways, driveways, etc. They come in many different forms and sizes, although for a typical ATV that is under 455 cubic centimeters, you would generally go with a blade that is 50” – 75”. Anything larger may not be sufficient for the amount of effort it would take your engine to clear away a path and too short of a blade could leave snow to get in the tires of your ATV and slow you down.
Why Buy An ATV Snow Plow?
Let’s get down to the facts of why it may benefit you to get an ATV snow plow. If you don’t currently own a snow plow, you may be thinking of looking into another means, such as a snow blower, to get the job done. This could be a more cost-effective solution, but consider this – an ATV is a very versatile vehicle that can be quite useful for numerous tasks aside from the capability of removing snow. It can be used all-year round. Plus, driving around on an ATV is just plain fun. If there was a better way to remove snow from your driveway that was actually enjoyable, wouldn’t you want to go for it?
Now, if you already own an ATV then obviously it’s a much more cost-effective alternative to simply buy an ATV snow plow rather than buying another machine, which will also take up more space in the garage. The beauty of using your ATV for removing snow is that not only do you have this versatile machine that you can use from in any season, but it’s also capable of getting into tight spaces and clearing pathways without causing damage to property.
Watch the WARN ProVantage tapered snow blade in action:
What’s more, it’s much safer to your health than trying to shovel mounds of snow by hand. You don’t even have to push through the snow as the ATV does the work for you! You just hook up the plow, hop onto your unit and enjoy the ride! The job will also go much smoother and twice as fast or better than expected with other types of snow removal devices.
Now, I’m not here to tell you how to run your life, but I am telling you that investing in an ATV snow plow could really be a game-changer for you. Some people like to mow lawns during the summer for extra cash. Why should winter stop you from having the opportunity to pick a different type of side job? Not only would you be saving money on a separate machine, but having the efficiency of an ATV jacked up with a snow plow might just put you into a new business.
Not everyone is cut out for the task of clearing away snow, especially if they have a sizable area to clear so they’re willing to hire someone else to do the work. This is a great opportunity to rack up some extra cash to save for Christmas presents. Better yet, give your teens a great opportunity to make their own allowance while finding a useful activity that gets them out of the house during their winter break from school! Riding around on an ATV or UTV for a few extra bucks can be just tempting enough for your teens to WANT to clear the driveway.
These are a couple of ATV snow plows you may want to consider when deciding upon which one to purchase:
- UniPlow Push Tube: Strong, welded push tube design for quick, convenient installation.
- UniMount Universal Mount: Mounts on the ATV frame behind the wheels, not in the front or middle.
- Transfers plowing for to the ATV frame for more effective, smooth plowing.
- UniPlow One-Piece Blade: 50″ wide, 16″ high steel plow with 3/16″ grade 50 gusseting.
- Features 2-sided, 3/16″ Grade 50 steel wear bar attached with Grade 8 bolts.
- Heavy duty adjustable ski pads.
- Fits square, round, and Polaris Sportsman frames.
- All Mounting hardware included.
Overview | Extreme Max UNIPLW50 UniPlow
This one-piece, multi-position blade comes all in one box to transform your ATV into a plowing machine. It mounts from behind the wheels rather than the front or middle so that force is applied to the frame of the ATV delivering a smoother operation. The steel plow blade measures 50” wide by 16” high and is equipped to fit square, round and Polaris Sportsman ATV frames with all of the essential hardware needed for mounting included.
If you’re a novice to snow plows, then may I suggest that you go with this one? It requires very minimal assembly to get the plow blade hooked up onto your ATV. The Uni-mount is designed for a universal fit that can be mounted onto at least 90% of ATV models and there’s a reference guide that you can look to see if the ATV or UTV you own is compatible. A quick-release mechanism easily allows you to remove the plow blade and push tubes so you can use your ATV for other purposes without having to uninstall the mount. Convenient, yes? This may be especially convenient for those times when you happen to find yourself taking out the plow every day to clear away the snow
The blade can be easily adjusted to 6 different positions so you can push snow at multiple angles for maximum efficiency. To adjust the angle of the blade, it’s as easy as moving the pin and angling the blade in the direction you want it. The only thing that this plow lacks is a winch, which you will need if you don’t own one in order to operate the plow for lifting. Considering that most plows are purchased with additional required parts for installation sold separately, this is far from a deal breaker. The bottom line is when you’re looking into getting a piece of equipment that is meant for pushing through several inches of packed snow, quality is what you need and the Extreme Max UNIPLW50 Uni-plow has got it!
One of the most popular and best ATV snow plow.
Use with the Swisher 2646 Universal ATV Mounting Kit.
View or download the MANUAL for the Swisher 2645R — one of the best ATV snow plows available.
- 50″ blade made from 1/8″ steel.
- Heavy-duty construction with extra supports for moving gravel and sand.
- Dual engage angle selection system provides double lock for plow angle.
- 18″-24″ lift height for clearance, depending on ATV and tire size.
View or download the MANUAL / INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for the Kolpin 10-0520 X-Factor ATV snow plow system.
View or download the COMPATIBILITY CHART.
- Industry first complete bolt together plow system.
- Heavy duty, 3-piece steel and tube steel frame that will withstand years of plowing use.
- Easy on / easy off push tube:
- Rugged 52″ 14 gauge steel blade with double layer of steel at center X.
- Strong square tubed push frame.
- 5 position blade angle.
- Dual trip springs and height adjustable HD skid shoes protect plow and ATV.
- Double sided steel wear bar that can be turned over to double the life.
- Easy to assemble.
- ****REQUIRES winch, manual lift or Electric Lift (not included).
- One year limited warranty.
Installation video | Kolpin 10-0520
WARN ATV Snow Plows | Complete Systems
If you’ve never hear of WARN and you own an ATV then you should be ashamed. They’re a leader in the manufacturing and design of off-road equipment and accessories. WARN products make your vehicles better by adding functionality and performance.
History of WARN:
Arthur and Sadie Warn started a Willy’s dealership in Southpark, Washington in the 1930’s, and founded Warn Industries on June 10, 1948. Warn Industries began with one man’s idea for converting thousands of surplus World War II Jeeps into useful, on-road vehicles. Arthur Warn’s extraordinary invention of wheel locking hubs revolutionized the automotive industry. Arthur’s original idea was a bolt on-bolt off hub model, and he held numerous patents. Originally, Arthur made door to door sales in Seattle, but Sadie saw a larger market and placed ads in Popular Mechanics, which started the mail order business…(Read More)
With customers in over 65 countries, WARN is one of the world’s most recognized brands in vehicle performance enhancing equipment.
See their full line of products.
Available is various sizes: 50″, 54″, 60″ and 72″
- Made from thick 12-gauge steel with heavy-duty ribbing and a center cross member for added rigidity. Boxed design adds extra support.
- Special low-friction powder coated finish helps keep material from sticking to the blade.
- Available in 50″, 54″ and 60″ widths.
- 54″ and 60″ blades have top lips with pre-drilled holes for accessories.
- 17 3/4″ blade height.
- Thick, sturdy wear bar has steep angle of attack for maximum surface scraping.
Overview | WARN 78950 ProVantage
Plowing through snow can be harsh and this year, being an El Nino year, we could be seeing more frequent and heavier snowfalls. All of that plowing can put a great deal of wear and tear on your equipment. When rugged durability is what you seek, WARN has you covered with this 12-gauge steel plow blade. It is designed with a center cross member, reinforced ribs, and a boxed design for dependable durability. This plow system is center mounted to add a long-lasting factor to stand up through winter after winter.
One particular feature that is unique with this ATV snow plow is the Lift and Tilt Protection that it offers against damage to the ATV as well as the curb. The blade is distinctively designed for high clearance thanks to the ProVantage system which allows the user to lift the plow up and clear tall curbs so as not to damage the blade or the ATV.
Another notable quality with this blade is the finish. As most people already know who have experience with snow it’s that it can bulk up and stick onto just about any material. This could pose a real challenge when you’re trying to plow through it. Fortunately, the makers of WARN kept this is mind with the design of this snow plow by providing a powder-coating finish that serves to help keep snow from sticking to the blade so you can move more in less time. The blade comes in two different sizes – 50” and 54” wide and is equipped with a spring tension system and adjustable angle positioning for versatility.
Unlike the previous plow, this is not a kit as it doesn’t come with the push tubes or the mount you will need to assemble it to your ATV — you have to purchase it separately.
You’ll need 4 separate components for a complete ProVantage system:
I know, it’s more complicated than it needs to be.
- Vehicle-specific mount kit (Make sure it fits your vehicle). You can find out on Amazon by entering your vehicle information.
- Push tube assembly (92100 or 78100; depending on which type of mounting kit you use)
- A Plow blade (P/N 78950, 78954, 78960 (60″), 80954, or 80960; two different styles (straight blade and tapered), three different widths (50″, 54″, 60″)
- Lift (Winch or the Warn 84600 is a dedicated lifter).
WARN ProVantage ATV Snow Plow Mounting Kits
The WARN Plow Base assembly features an extra-wide design for increased stability and durability, a forward trip system, and an interlocked rotating base plate for great strength, outstanding durability, and excellent impact resistance.
WARN 92100 | Front Mounting Kit
- PN 92100 Plow Base for use with front plow mounting kits:
- Rapid connection system: easy-on, easy-off thanks to self-locating pin design.
- Mount is located at the front of the vehicle-no need to crawl under the ATV.
- *No need to remove mount during non-plowing seasons; no reduction in ground clearance.
WARN 78100 | Center Mounting Kit
- PN 78100 Plow Base for use with center plow mounting kits:
- Mounting plate remains attached to the ATV and becomes a structural
- component adding rigidity to the ATV during plowing operations.
- Designed for high ground clearance and quick installation or removal.
This is a great winch for ATV snowplow applications, off road terrain and utility applications. It comes complete with a handle bar rocker switch, a 12’ hand held remote, a roller fairlead, and a generic mounting plate. Versatile and durable. Can be used as an ATV winch or a trailer winch.
- 3,000 LB pull rating
- 12V DC sealed permanent magnet motor powers load in and out
- Sealed solenoid
- Low amperage draw
- Circuit breaker protected
- Full metal planetary gear train
- Ergonomic freespooling clutch which is easy to engage and disengage
- Mechanical and dynamic brake
- Two-year limited warranty*
- Generic mounting plate
- Mounting hardware kit
- Roller fairlead
- Handle bar mountable rocker switch
- Rubber handheld remote with 12′ cable
- Set of color-coated leads for connection to battery
- Circuit breaker component
- 50′ length of 3/16 (24m x 4.8mm) steel rope
- Heavy-duty latched hook with thimble
- 4″ hand-saver strap
Compatible with WARN ProVantage Side x Side Winches.
Your Side x Side snow plow requires extra pulling power, which is exactly what the ProVantage 4500-S was designed to do. With a powerful 4,500 lb. capacity, all-metal gear end housing, and a powerful permanent magnet motor, this winch has the extra power to pull your Side X Side or a heavy load with ease.
- 50′ of 7/32″ synthetic rope with double-powder-coated hawse fairlead.
- Three-stage planetary gear train for smooth, efficient operation.
- Ergonomic clutch handle.
- Patented roller disc brake for outstanding control.
- Fully sealed motor and drive train to keep the elements out.
- Includes illuminated dash-mounted control switch and corded remote.
- All-metal gear housing and gears.
- Warranty: Limited lifetime, 3 year electrical (North America).
Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35 | 3500lbs
Terra Series 35 delivers up to 3,500 lbs. of pulling capacity. The winch motor pulls 9.3-FPM at 3,500 lbs. or 22.5-FPM at no load capacity. The heavy-duty permanent magnet motor is almost twice as thick as the competition.
Heavy-duty solenoid that is sealed and overload protected with a circuit breaker. Efficient 1.6 hp. 12-volt motor with a low amp draw on your battery. Has a 4-way roller fairlead, mounting plate, handlebar mount toggle, 50′ of 13/64″ steel wire rope and handheld remote.
- High efficiency, low amp draw, sealed 1.6 hp permanent magnet motor featuring mechanical load holding and dynamic brake.
- 50′ of 13/64″ steel wire rope and ergonomic cam action free-spooling clutch.
- All steel planetary gear twice as wide as those used by the competition and utilizing machined-in, oil pocket bronze bearings.
- Circuit breaker protected and weather sealed solenoid contact.
- 4-way roller fairlead, heavy duty latched hook with thimble and limited lifetime warranty.
Learn more on the SuperWinch site.
The best ATV Snow Plow Kits?
Why leave your quad just sitting in the garage lonely during those cold winter months? It needs some attention too! Take advantage of a new way to get more use out of it by buying an ATV snow plow to effectively remove snow.