If you’re using a chainsaw and you don’t wear chainsaw chaps every time you fire up your saw then I have to say that you’re a fool. Yes, you read that correctly. Far too many homeowners underestimate the risks of using a chainsaw and as a result, they put their life in danger. I’m not going to show you any pictures in this article, but believe me, the injuries that occur from chainsaw accidents are hideous.
Lucky for you there are many quality chainsaw chaps to choose from and I’m going to show you some excellent options that I hope you will consider for your own health and peace of mind.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) website states that “Each year, approximately 36,000 people are treated in hospital emergency departments for injuries from using chainsaws.” Please, be proactive and wear the proper safety gear. Here are additional pieces of chainsaw safety gear that will prove their weight in gold over time:
Or you can buy the full safety gear in one package, such as the Husqvarna Chainsaw Protective Powerkit, which we’ll also review in this article.
Table of Contents...
- 1 Why Buy Chainsaw Chaps?
- 2 Best Chainsaw Chaps: Reviews
- 2.1 Husqvarna Chainsaw Chaps (531309565)
- 2.2 Husqvarna Technical Apron Wrap Chainsaw Chap (587160704)
- 2.3 Husqvarna Functional Apron Chap (585488002)
- 2.4 Husqvarna Classic Chainsaw Chaps (585488001)
- 2.5 Forester Chainsaw Apron Chaps with Pocket
- 2.6 Husqvarna Chainsaw Protective Apparel Powerkit (531300904)
- 2.7 Related posts:
Why Buy Chainsaw Chaps?
What would happen if you’re not wearing chainsaw chaps and your saw slips and strikes your leg? Well, it’s best not to see what would happen to your flesh, and sorry, jeans won’t protect you. Chainsaw chaps are made from cut resistant material that prevent a moving chain from cutting through the material. Typically the material will stop the chain from moving or force the chainsaw to cut the chaps rather than your leg — that’s a pretty good trade-off.
Watch this Video | Why Wear Chainsaw Chaps
Chainsaw chaps aren’t cut-proof but a quality pair of chainsaw pants will prevent the moving chain from reaching your leg in those first few critical seconds, providing you with enough time to move your chainsaw away from you, or to shut it off completely. You also take into account other factors, such as, what happens if you stumble and accidentally trip while walking — well, you’ll still be protected.
If you want to invest your money then invest it in your health by preventing injuries. Quality chainsaw chaps will buy you enough time to prevent a severe or life-threatening injury. Chainsaw chaps will give you a few seconds of precious time that will enable you take control of your chainsaw and get yourself out of harms way.
I truly hope you purchase a well-made and dependable pair of chainsaw chaps for your future projects. Whether you buy them online or at a store near you, it doesn’t matter. I advise people to hire a professional if they’re not comfortable using a chainsaw, and I extend this advice to you. Work safely or pay a professional to do the work for you.
The best way to prevent an accident is to operate your chainsaw by exercising the proper safety procedures at all time. And wearing safety gear is an important component of chainsaw safety.
Here are some great options for you to consider.
Best Chainsaw Chaps: Reviews
These Husqvarna Chainsaw Apron Chaps are extremely difficult to find the right information on, mainly because I believe it’s numbered incorrectly on Amazon. I believe this should numbered as 531 30 95-64. So based on that, I will give you these few details.
I should also mention that if you plan on buying chaps on Amazon the ones labeled as 531 30 95-64 are incorrectly labeled as well, just read the customer reviews. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for retailers to label their products correctly.
The Apron Chaps are one-size fits all so unless you’re particularly large or small then these should fit you.
Learn more at Amazon.
Features (apron chainsaw chaps):
- Meets ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1 and is UL Certified.
- Meets OSHA Regulation 1910-266.
- Hand wash and hang to dry.
These Husqvarna 587160704 Technical Apron Chaps are made with a PVC coated denier polyester with Eek warp protective layers. Designed with you in mind, these chainsaw chaps will greatly reduce or prevent the risk and severity of injury while you’re working with a running chainsaw.
The cut retardant material will ‘pull’ apart and clog the sprocket system of your chainsaw, which will slow down or stop the chain entirely from rotating. To the degree that it will slow down your saw depends on the following factors: chain type, length, angle of contact, and overall power of your chainsaw. You should be aware of the fact that a more powerful chainsaw will be more difficult to slow down.
These Husqvarna chaps have adjustable waist sizes, acetyl Delran buckles, convenient pockets, and are washable in cold water.
- 1000 denier polyester with PVC coating with Tek warp protective layers.
- Adjustable waist up to 42 inches.
- Felling wedge/gear pocket and acetyl Delran buckles.
- Meets ASTM f1897, ANSI z133.1, And OSHA regulation 1910-266.
- Ul certified.
These Husqvarna Functional Apron Chaps (585488002) are made from the same material as the Technical Apron Chaps. The difference is really in the styling and the fit.
- 600 Denier Polyester with PVC coating with Tek Warp Protective Layers
- Adjustable Waist Size to 42 Inches
- Felling Wedge Pocket and Delrin Buckles
- Meets ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1 and OSHA Regulation 1910-266
- UL Certified
I hate to sound like a broken record but these Husqvarna 585488001 Classic chainsaw chaps are made from the identical material as the other Husqvarna chaps.
- 600 Denier Polyester with PVC coating with Tek Warp Protective Layers.
- Adjustable Waist Size to 38 Inches.
- Tool/Gear Pocket and Acetal Delrin.
- Meets ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1 and OSHA Regulation 1910-266.
- UL Certified.
These Forester chainsaw apron chaps meet all OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) requirements. Mae with 1200 denier water and oil resistant outer shell and with an impressive 12-layer material for optimal chainsaw protection.
These chainsaw chaps are 36″ long (top to bottom, not inseam) with a 6″x6″ side pocket.
Designed to fit waist sizes between 28″ to 48-inches. That’s a good range and should cover the majority of operators.
Remember to always exercise caution and proper safety procedures whenever you use your chainsaw. Don’t take chances just because you’re wearing safety clothing. Chainsaw chaps are your back-up plan if things go awry but it’s up to you to make smart decisions when you operate a saw.
- Meets ASTM F1897, OSHA 1910.266, UL Certified.
- Apron Style Chainsaw Chaps, 36″ overall length.
If you don’t any safety equipment then I would recommend that you purchase this Husqvarna Protective Apparel Powerkit as it has everything you need and you’ll save money by purchasing this complete package.
Landowner Kit includes:
- (505 67 55-15) Pro Forest Woodsman Hi-Viz Helmet
- (605 00 00-13 – Blue) Husqvarna Apron Chap
- (605 00 10-55) Husqvarna blue clip Suspenders
- (531 30 02-74 ) Xtreme Duty Work Gloves (Large)
- (605 00 04-15) Lexa Clear Protective Glasses
- (531 30 02-43) Protective Glasses Lanyard