Choosing the best science kit for kids won’t be easy because there are so many great options for to choose from. For me, there’s nothing better than giving a child a gift that they can learn from and have fun at the same time. Kids love to learn so I feel it’s a smart way to spend your money by giving them a cool science kit that will satiate their curiosities. There are enough mindless toys in the world, but as a parent it’s your responsibility to nurture them.
In this buying guide we show you a lot of fantastic science kit that kids will love.
Best Science Kit for Kids
The world of science provides a vast opportunity for fun and exciting discoveries. It’s one area of learning that seems to never get old or boring with so many different subject matters. A science kit for kids is a wonderful opportunity to introduce this fascinating field to encourage a love for science at an early age.
When it comes to gift giving you can almost never fail with one that provides a fun and engaging way to learn new things. A toy, electronic device or video game may provide temporary entertainment, but an activity with educational value can last a lifetime. Activities and kits that are based on science can have long-lasting positive effects on development.
We are seeing more and more toys and activities that follow or incorporate S.T.E.M. principles (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). What’s unique in the S.T.E.M. approach as opposed to teaching these specific areas separately, is that it connects science with math to bring them together. Participating in science activities is particularly beneficial to young learners as an introduction to logical techniques they’ll experience in their day-to-day lives. Acquiring strong skills in these areas are crucial to life-long skills that can help in career advancement, performance, and critical thinking.
Science kits often contain basic elements and materials to perform experiments, observe findings and/or encourage craft skills to make their own creations. Whether they’re into bugs and critters or building things, you can find the best science kit for kids that suit various interests.
Shopping By Age | Best Science Kit for Kids
There are a wide variety of science kits that focus on different scientific principles. Some kits provide tools for learning through observation or watching chemical reactions. Other kits may be more complex and require some engineering skill or problem solving. The easiest way to find the right kit for your child is simply shop by age. A simple science kit made to interest young children such as preschoolers may be too simple for an older child to take interest in. We compiled some of the best science kits for kids accordingly to their age recommendation.
Ages 3 to 5 Years
Magneticals Magnet Toys Tile Set
Best Science Kit for Kids who love to make things.
- Expanded Creativity & Innovation – These Magneticals Tiles for boys and girls promote early learning, spatial reasoning, and motor skills with unlimited fun.
- Build, Create, Grow – Magneticals tiles sets this big let children expand their imaginations, creating houses, towers, castles, cars, designs and animals!
- 168 Innovative Shapes – This magnetic tile set comes with tons of exciting designs to create near limitless fun including triangles, squares, circles and more.
- Home & Classroom Fun – Safe for ages 3+ these children’s building blocks can be enjoyed alone at home or shared with school friends to encourage social growth.
- Kid-Friendly & Safe Magnets – These magnetic tiles stick together easily with rare-Earth neodymium magnets that are safe, non-toxic and long lasting
- 1-year warranty
Implementing the basic principles of magnetics, this fun set offers unlimited possibilities for active imaginations. The Magneticals construction set has various shaped tiles that stick together to form whatever your young learner can think up from houses and towers to animals and even cars that roll. There is a book included that features different designs or let them build freely using their imagination! The magnets are safe, non-toxic, and kid-friendly for ages 3 and up. It’s a great set to encourage motor skill building along with other fundamental skills.
The Magic School Bus — Chemistry Lab
Best Science Kit for Kids who love chemistry.
- Fasten your seatbelt and get ready to experiment with Chemistry Lab!
- Encourages understanding and interest in chemistry; scientific thinking
- Exhilarating bus-shaped kit packed with science components
- 51 colorful experiment cards with attention grabbing experiments
- Data notebook to record observations
- Illustrated instruction cards are great and easy to follow
- Hours and hours of experiments; Most can be repeated
- All explanations are on the back of the cards
- Based on the popular Magic School Bus book series by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen
- Bus-shapes storage kit with 3 plastic trays to hold all components
In this bus-shaped kit you will find a slew of science tools like and 51 experiment cards for kids to discover the wonders of chemistry with Mrs. Frizzle and her class. Young science enthusiasts can use common household items to take on fun and exciting chemistry projects such as making slime, a bouncy ball, create an erupting volcano, implement chromatography and so much more. The bus opens up with supplies stacked in tiers into 4 compartment trays to keep all of their tools neatly organized and conveniently stored away when not in use. The experiments are recommended for ages 5 and up but can be performed with help from an adult for children over 3 years of age.
Kids First | Science Laboratory Kit
Best Science Kit for Kids who have a desire to be a mad scientist.e
- Inspires children’s inquisitiveness and interests by providing them with tools and open-ended learning experiences
- Experimenting freely with a variety of safe and engaging tools stimulates creativity and the spirit of scientific thinking
- Developed for Preschoolers and kindergartners
- Includes 24 tools, a 16 page full-color parent guide and 10 illustrated experiment cards
- Recommended for ages 3-5
This science laboratory kit presents the perfect opportunity to engage young learners in open-ended play using scientific processes. It comes with kid-friendly tools and a set of 10 instruction cards to provide the basic essentials for performing fun experiments for kids between the ages of 3 to 5 years. Additional materials are needed to perform the experiments. The cards feature fully-illustrated directions for kids to follow and a detailed instruction booklet is included for parents to assist.
VIDEO | Learn more about this Science Kit
The Kids First line feature different levels of science kits to include fun and engaging activities across the various fields of science. For the builder that loves putting things together there are different Engineering kits including an Aircraft kit, an Automobile, a Boat, and a Robot. Each of these engineering kits come with easy to assemble pieces and instruction booklets designed for preschoolers. There is also a storybook to go along with each kit that adds more fun and amusement as they build the models.
Ages 6 and Up
Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit
- Activity 1 : Dancing Powders: Get started on your mind blowing journey in the world of chemistry with this simple activity to learn about acids, bases and chemical reactions
- Activity 2: Color Changing Liquids: Use acids, bases and red cabbage powder to make color changing liquids
- Activity 3: Acid or Base? Test some safe household liquids to find out if they are acids or bases
- Activity 4: Create Colorful Jiggly Crystals
- Activity 5: Test Tube Sunset: Watch beautiful colors as they change before your eyes
- Activity 6: Create Giant Jiggly Crystals
- Activity 7: Color Changing Volcano: Make a volcano erupt with color changing lava
- Activity 8: Create an Underwater Volcano
- Activity 9: Color Changing Grapes: Can you make a fruit change color?
- Activity 10: Magic Ooze: Is it a solid or a liquid?
- Activity 11: Mix Colors with your Eyes: Mix colors without them ever touching!
This 20-piece kit features activities based on the field of chemical reactions. Kids will love the hands-on open ended experiments with the use of the science tools included in the kit. It comes with the chemicals for performing various activities in the guide including red cabbage powder, citric acid, baking soda, color changing tablets, vegetable oil, corn starch, paper and more.
VIDEO | Learn About the Included Experiments
Additional materials and supplies which are not included like common household items will be needed to perform some of the experiments. These items are detailed in the guide for the activity. Interactive experiments feature a fun colorful dynamic like a color changing volcano or creating a sunset in a tube to provide a fun and educational value for a range of ages. It is recommended for children aged 6 with adult supervision, but can be accommodating for younger preschoolers with some help from an adult.
Red cabbage powder (0.25oz/7g), citric acid (2oz/59ml), baking soda (2oz/59ml), 3 color tablets, cross-linked polyacrylamide co-polymer (0.5oz/14g), vegetable oil (2oz/59ml), corn starch (2oz/59ml), paper, 2 cotton swabs, 3 test tubes with caps, test tube stand, 3 plastic cups, pipette, stir 2 sticks, small and medium plastic measuring scoops and activity guide.
Creativity for Kids Grow ‘n Glow Terrarium
- GROW YOUR OWN HABITAT: Experience the wonder of nature with the Grow N’ Glow Terrarium! This kit allows you to craft, plant, water and grow your own terrarium tabletop garden.
- COMPLETE KIT: Comes with everything you need for two full plant life cycles! Kit includes: plastic mason-style jar, decorative lid, potting mix, organic chia and wheat grass seeds, garden figurines, decorative sand, river stones and a plant mister to keep your terrarium watered.
- DECORATE YOUR TERRARIUM: Watch your terrarium glow! Add dimension to your terrarium with translucent glow-in-the-dark stickers that light up your terrarium at night!
- EDUCATIONAL KIT: The perfect STEAM activity that mixes science and art. Create your own eco-system and learn about botany and the life cycle of plants. Your habitat will begin to grow in as little as 3-4 days
- KID TESTED AND SAFE: Since 1976 Creativity for Kids has proudly created safe, innovative products that meet or exceed U.S. safety standards as determined by independent laboratory testing. Recommended for ages 6 to 96
This science kit is a simple and cool ‘experiment’ for children that combines a little bit of craft with science to learn more about habitats and plant a miniature garden in a jar. The Grow ‘n Glow terrarium includes organic wheat grass and chia seeds, potting mix materials, and a clear plastic jar to put it all in and watch it grow. It also comes with additional accessories to let kids decorate the inside with small figurines as well as glow in the dark stickers to place on the outside. The jar has a decorative vented lid to allow air in for plants to grow. A mister is included making it easier for kids to water it per instructions. It’s a learning opportunity to discover the life cycles of plants as kids watch them grow.
Mini Explorer Light-up Terrarium Kit
- WHAT IS A TERRARIUM? It is a miniature garden within a container that simulates a natural environment. So, let your child discover the beauty of nature by creating their own beautiful terrarium with this all-inclusive kit. Watch as it grows by day and glows at night with the innovative LED light under the lid.
- GROWS BY DAY, GLOWS AT NIGHT: Beneath the lid, there is a built-in innovative LED light that transforms the experience into something magical. At night, just hit the small switch to turn on the light and watch how your terrarium turns into a gorgeous illuminated tabletop garden. You have to see it to believe it! The light can easily be recharged with the included Micro-USB cable.
- KIT INCLUDES: A cute little box that includes: Terrarium jar (4″x6″), light-up jar lid, Micro-USB charging cable, clear and easy step-by-step instruction booklet for all ages, soil, blue sand, river rocks, wheatgrass and chia seeds, small bunny and mushroom miniatures, removable stickers for decoration, spray bottle, and wooden stick to aid in planting the seeds.
- A FUN AND EDUCATIONAL GIFT FOR ALL AGES: It’s not often that a science project can be fun and engaging, but this terrarium kit achieves both! It fascinates children as soon as they pull it out of the box. With the freedom to layer the rocks, sand, soil, and stickers as they please, every child is guaranteed to have a blast.
- MINI EXPLORER MISSION STATEMENT: Here at Mini Explorer, we know that just because your adventurer is small doesn’t mean the adventure should be. Our entire line is modeled with the intent to spark a lifelong passion for knowledge and self-education.
Discovering nature and the life cycle of plants is an interesting field for young learners, especially when they can watch it in action. This light-up terrarium kit comes with everything you need to get started for building a miniature garden in a jar. An instruction booklet is included that includes step-by-step directions for layering the soil, river rocks and sand to planting the seeds. Additional accessories lets them decorate the jar for a creative piece with 2 small adorable figures and stickers. The vented jar lid features a built-in LED light that transforms the terrarium into a cool night light by night with a switch. A micro USB cord is provided.
Ages 8 and Up
SmartLab Toys Smart Circuits Games & Gadgets Electronics Lab
- Create working games and gadgets.
- Complete the circuit to make a quiz show game, an electronic drum kit, a motion-sensing room alarm, and much more using 10 smart modules and the powerful microprocessor module.
- Learn about electrical engineering as you play with the multi-dimensional base board and real electronic components.
- Computer Microprocessor Included
- 50 Builds – Unlimited Projects
- Play with What You Build
- 48-page book : step-by-step instructions for wiring 50 sophisticated circuit builds, plus endless options to build custom creations!
- Uses 3 AAA batteries (sold separately).
- Microprocessor module
- Tricolor LED module
- Speaker module
- Photo-diode module
- Tilt switch module
- 6-LED array module
- 2 Push button modules
- Variable resistor module
- Battery module
- 6 Base boards
- 31 Jumper wires
- 48-page book
The Smart Circuits games and gadgets kit provides electronic projects for kids to build their own working games. It comes with a computer microprocessor and 10 smart modules along with step-by-step instructions to create up to 50 circuit builds. The kit provides hands-on learning experience on how electronics work to produce light, sounds, and various functions using circuits and sensor modules. Once they learn and understand how each module works they can build their own gadgets and come up with new games on their own
It’s suitable for kids between the ages of 8 to 15 years. The illustrated instruction book teaches the principles of science and technology with electric currents, conductors, resistors, light waves, and other important elements. Kids can design, build, and play with their projects over and over again.
- 120X, 240X, 300X, 480X, 600X and 1200X six magnification beginner microscope with metal construction
- Built-in light for direct illumination.
- Reflecting mirror for natural illumination
- Battery compartment for 2 AA-size.
- Built-in rotating color filter wheel.
- Specimen stage with stage clips.
- Includes: plastic scalpel, plastic spatula, plastic tweezers.
This is a compound microscope suitable for beginners that are interested in getting a closer look at things. As typical in compound microscopes, the Amscope-Kids M30-ABS KT51 uses natural illumination by use of a reflective mirror. It also features a built-in light to provide direct illumination. It comes with sample slides for young enthusiasts to learn how to use and adjust the microscope accordingly to observe and analyze different specimens. Brine shrimp eggs and a shrimp hatcher are also provided with the microscope to observe the early life cycle of these organisms.
The microscope features 6 various magnifications from 120x up to 1200x and features a rotating color filter wheel. It comes with specimen bottles, tweezers, and collecting lamps to gather your own materials for kids to observe through the microscope. Additional accessories are included with the microscope such as adjustable lenses and coverslips. A sturdy travel case is included to safely store it when not in use.
National Geographic Dual LED Student Microscope – 50+ pc Science Kit
- TWO MICROSCOPES IN ONE! Use the lower LED lights to view biological specimens on slides or switch over to the upper lights to examine 3D objects in intricate detail
- INCLUDES OVER 50 ACCESSORIES! Explore our curated set of prepared slides using the detailed Learning Guide then create your own with reusable blank slides and covers, tweezers, eye dropper, Petri dish and more
- SIMPLE YET POWERFUL learning tool that’s easy to operate, solidly constructed and comes with two sets of high-quality optical glass eyepieces for 20x and 50x magnification
- COMPLETE BRINE SHRIMP EXPERIMENT including hatchery station, shrimp eggs, Petri dish and Lab Manual. Track the life cycle of brine shrimp!
Includes : Two sets of optical glass lenses providing 20x and 50x magnification, 10 prepared slides with a range of biological specimens, a slide storage box, 10 blank slides, 10 slide covers, 10 slide labels, brine shrimp eggs, brine shrimp hatchery station, tweezers and an eye dropper for slide prep, a Petri dish for plant labs, a mini geode, operating instructions and a fascinating Microscopes Learning Guide.
The Dual LED microscope from National Geographic gives young students and science enthusiasts a closer look at what’s going on. Designed with 2 sets of optical lenses the microscope features 20x and 50x magnification for observing slides at a microscopic level or larger objects in detail. The microscope comes with prepared slides and a learning guide for observing and learning about biological specimens. Additional accessories provided include reusable blank slides for preparing their own specimens to observe, a petri dish, tweezers, and an eye dropper. A microscope cover is also included to protect from dust when not in use.
- NAPPA Silver Award Winner
- Design and build 10 amazing moving machines – teach your bricks new tricks
- Comes with 80 page instructions, 33 LEGO pieces, instructions for 10 modules, 6 plastic balls, string, paper ramps and other components
- Includes a 80 page instructional book with Klutz certified crystal-clear instructions
- Includes more than 30 essential Lego elements
- Recommended for children ages 8+
Inspire creativity with this LEGO chain reactions kit that invites kids to use specific skills and reimagine ordinary lego bricks into something new and exciting. This kit comes with essential elements to transform LEGOS into actual moving machines. Included in the kit are 33 LEGO pieces and clear illustrated instructions to build up to 10 different modules ranging in difficulty from easy to advanced.
Combine the modules to create fun chain reactions. Additional pieces like plastic balls, paper ramps, string, and other elements add even more fun to create new chain reactions. This kit is suitable for ages 7 and up to design and create functional modules with elements that swing, pivot, lift, drop, and pull. Advanced levels of modules can accommodate their growing interests for long-lasting use.
- This science kit contains all the materials needed to perform seven different crystal growth experiments.
- A special display case is included to admire the crystals once they are fully grown.
- Perfect for young science enthusiasts, especially those with an interest in geology.
- Complete instructions for each experiment are included with the kit.
- Recommended for ages 10 years and up.
- Challenge your child’s imagination with 4M toys and kits.
- 4M educational toys cover a wide range of educational subjects and include science kits, arts and crafts kits, robotics kits, and more.
- 4M offers a wide range of toys and kits to let you build a clock, crochet a placemat, or turn your room into a planetarium–all in the name of making learning fun.
Experiment with crystals in this fun kit that includes materials for growing crystal formations. There are display domes, chemical compounds and clear instructions to help kids grow up to 7 crystals in a variety of colors. The crystals will continue to grow until fully formed over the course of 7-10 days. A fact sheet is also included to provide insightful information about the formation and growth of crystals. They can record their results and observe the difference in shape and patterns as the crystals form or combine two together to create larger crystals. It’s a fun way for kids to put scientific principles to the test with incredible results that can be displayed for years.
Be Amazing Toys Big Bag Of Science +70 Activities
- Use REAL SCIENTIFIC TOOLS to perform more than 70 activities from fizzing bubbling colored water to creating instant worms.
- This kit’s four color step-by-step instruction book has photos and illustrations to help kids follow along with the science fun.
- This kit covers the three areas of science (Physical, Earth and Life) as well as activities in Chemistry, Physics, Magnetism, Weather, Biology, Geology and Flight. The re-usable BIG zipper Bag is great for storing all components when it’s time to put your lab away.
- What is S.T.E.M.? STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, which constitutes many of the areas educators look to cover for science based activities. We are proud to say that his kit has a strong focus on STEM.
- The Amazing Science line of products has been designed to peak kid’s curiosity for the world around them. These kits encourage kids to wonder, discover and explore in a way that will get the science to the dinner table. Our goal is to teach kids how to be amazing as they show their friends and family what they’ve learned. Real Science…Real Learning!
with cool experiments for kids to test out. The compact resealable bag is full of tools and supplies to perform different activities. What’s really great about this kit is the experiments are not all solely focused on one area of science like a chemistry set. The activities implement various areas of science including chemistry, magnetism, biology, geology, earth science, life science, and physics. It comes with an instruction book that includes illustrations and clear instructions that are easy to follow. Adult supervision is required with children 8 and under as it comes with balloons that can pose a choking or suffocation hazard when un-inflated or broken.
- Learn about circuits, switches, sound propagation & static electricity using home-made boomerangs, magnetic force fields, spectrum rainbows, telegraphic messages, whirling windmills, levitating serpents, & robotic turtles!
- LOADED WITH VALUE: 26+ Experiments, 31+ Tools & Ingredients, and 72 Pages of activities and educational instructions guide.
- EASY TO USE: The fact-filled colorful lab guide is full of pictures and information giving kids hours of fun in their own home made science lab! A fun way to educate kids has never been easier!
- ENGAGES THE MIND: This STEM set challenges the child’s mind as they work through the detailed easy-to-follow instruction guide, learning about classroom subjects in a fun way. You will even see test grades improve as a result. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.
This kit will not disappoint with the loads of tools and materials for performing 26+ experiments. It comes with two detailed instruction books simple enough for children 8 and up to follow for creating fun projects while learning interesting facts about electric circuits, magnetism and more. Tools and supplies are provided in the kit to perform most of the experiments from the books with a few requiring additional common household items. Some of the experiments they’ll enjoy making in the kit include: a spectrum rainbow, a homemade boomerang, levitating serpents, robotic turtles, whirling windmills, and telegraphic messages just to name a few.
LEGO Technic Dozer Compactor 42071 Building Kit
- Build a replica model of a Dozer Compactor complete with driver’s cab, working bulldozer blade and steering, and hard compactor wheels
- 2-in-1 LEGO Technic set – rebuilds into an Articulated Truck
- Dozer Compactor measures over 3” (10cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 4” (11cm) wide
- Articulated Truck measures over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (20cm) long and 3” (9cm) wide
- 171 pieces – For boys and girls between the ages of 8 and 14
- LEGO Technic 2-in-1 building sets are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building
Turning more towards the engineering field of science, this Dozer Compactor 2-in-1 Building Kit is a suitable kit for the hands-on learner that likes to build. The kit comes with 171 pieces to build a replica model version of a Dozer Compactor or rebuild as an articulated truck. Once assembled the compactor features working functions for steering and operating the blade to move obstacles. The lego kit is compatible with other LEGO brand construction sets to expand their creativity and appeals to the ages of 8 to 14 years.
- The Table Top Robot is a hands-on science kit that teaches the basics of robotics by constructing a working robot crab
- When activated, the robot crab scuttles under its own power and changes direction when it encounters an obstacle
- Place it on a tabletop and watch it perform acrobatic tricks
- No special tools or knowledge required — the kit contains detailed instructions and all the necessary parts
- Age range: 8 years and up
- Encourages understanding of robotics and basic mechanics
- Encourages dexterity and fine motor skills
- Feel pride in building your own crabwise-walking robot!
- Includes chassis with motor installed, 8 legs, transparent cover, washer screw, 2 screws, battery case, 2 claws, 2 axles, 2 gears, 2 terminal caps, and metal wire antenna
- Requires 1 AA battery (not included)
- Requires crosshead screwdriver (not included)
- Crab legs double as impact reduction in case of fall!
Robotics are a fascinating field for learning. With their table top robot model, 4M gives you the best science kit for kids who love to discover the principles on how things work. This kit provides all of the parts needed for your child to build their own robotic crab. Children will learn the hands-on mechanics of building a functioning robot that moves with smart capabilities. Once assembled the robotic crab is designed to be set on a table and detect edges to change direction and avoid falling off. The instructions are included and are easy to follow for children ages 9 and up.
Makeblock Codey Rocky Robot
- Easy and fun way for kids ages 6+ to learn how to code. Hundreds of emotions act as your loyal sidekick like the pet.
- Ready to use out of box, no assembly or batteries required.
- Connect to the mBlock App (iOS / Android) to learn how to program Codey Rocky.
- Programming is as simple as building blocks. Program games, movements, songs, and actions. Codey Rocky is the perfect STEAM educational robot for kids.
- 10 programmable electronic sensors: Infrared Receiver/Transmitter, LED Display, Light/Voice
- Sensors, Speaker, Gyroscope. Refit your building blocks with Codey Rocky to build your personal Codey Rocky. This product is not affilated with or endorsed by LEGO. LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies.
- Built in Wi-Fi allows Codey Rocky to connect to the internet to send and receive data.
- Allowing you to create IoT devices such as a weather report device.
The Codey Rocky Robot is perfect for the techie lover. It incorporates S.T.E.M. by combining the science of technology through computer programming with engineering. The robot is designed with built-in wifi to receive and send out data as well as 10 programmable sensors. Kids as young as 6 on up will learn simple coding skills as they drag and drop blocks using the software to tell the robot what to do. Install the mBlock app on your Andriod or IOS device to connect it to the Robot and you can begin coding.
VIDEO | See Codey Rocky in Action!
The robot features a detachable handheld module that children can use for simple programming and control such as driving or use your device for them to code patterns and emotions. It offers many cool features that are engaging and fun with a far better educational value than simply playing on a tablet or smart device all day long.
Visit the MakeBlock site to learn more about this brilliant toy.
Makeblock mBot Robot Kit
- Don’t judge it by size, he is a real robot that has many modes to play with, like obstacle avoidance, line-follow and etc. It is easy to build within 15 mins and can be controlled by remote or smartphones through Makeblock App (iOS/Android). Suitable for age 8+.
- It’s up to you to decide if you wants to follow the guide or DIY it with your own imagination to make your mBot completely differ from everyone else, You can also upgrade it by purchasing the add-on package of mBot to DIY more forms of mBot.
- Code it from all platform, the mBlock Blockly App (iOS/Android) is a great place to train the logical thinking for new coders. The advanced mBlock software (Windows/MacOS/Linux/Chrome) is one of the most popular entry-level coding platform with more than 450,000+ users that helps you to bring your creativity into reality.
- Battery Requirements: 4 pcs AA batteries or 1 pcs 3.7V 1800mAh Lithium for mBot and CR2025 coin battery for Remote. Batteries are not included.
The mBot provides little inventors a robotic friend that can be built and coded to carry out commands. It comes in easy-to-assemble parts with clear instructions for children 8 and up to put together within 15 minutes. Once the bot is complete it can be controlled using the remote included for simple functions and coded to avoid obstacles or follow lines. Use the Blocky App (for iOS and Android devices) to program even more codes for the mBot to follow and put your child’s logical thinking skills to work.
The Makeblock mBot uses software compatible with Windows, MacOs, Linux, and Chrome as its platform for entry-level coding to make the mBot smarter by finishing challenges from the app. The mBot requires 4 AA batteries or a 3.7V 1800mAh Lithium ion battery not included.
Tinkering Labs Electric Motors Catalyst STEM Kit
- THE ORIGINAL TINKERING LABS KIT: Build & rebuild endless robotic creations with a single kit.
- INVENTING SET FOR AGES 8+: Create unique STEM Toys for 8-12 year olds & teens.
- ROBOTICS FOR KIDS: Build doodling robots, power electric model cars, add motors to legos, and more!
- INTRO TO ENGINEERING KIT: Perfect gift for aspiring engineers & tinkerers! Kid-tested, parent-approved.
- DIY KIT WITH 50+ REAL PARTS: Build robots with 10 challenge cards, wood, electric motors, & hardware.
This DIY kit comes with 50+ parts and pieces for kids to build their own robotics. It introduces engineering, circuit building, and hands-on scientific projects for a valuable learning experience. There are clear instructions with photos that demonstrate 3 different builds. These are then used as a basis for additional projects. The kit comes with 10 challenge cards that give builders projects for various types of machines or robots suitable for ages 8 and up, but makes for a great activity the whole family can take part in. Kids, teens and even adults will have fun building electric vehicles or robots that really move and function. The models can also be taken apart and rebuilt to create new machines.
Practicing Safe Science
Science kits and projects are a fun way for kids to learn and gain educational value and skills at school or at home. With science projects, however, there may be some elements that could pose risk of injury if not handled carefully. Most of these kits designed for kids are generally safe to use within the age recommendations and performed under adult supervision. Even the best science kit for kids can carry some potential risks if not done properly. Follow these general safety tips when using a science kit.
Read the instructions included with your kit for proper use and follow them as instructed. While a simple project may seem easy enough to do on your own without reading through the instructions or skipping steps, this could result in mishaps that otherwise would have been avoided. Having your child read and follow the instructions step by step is also a great practice for them to get used to when it comes to working with science projects.
Use the right tools and supplies recommended for the kit. Most kits come with the tools needed to carry out the projects while some require additional materials. Use the recommended supplies and materials instructed with the kit. Making a substitution may not yield the desired result or can pose a serious risk. If there’s a tool missing from your kit that is supposed to be included contact the manufacturer for replacement.
Always supervise children while performing science experiments of any kind. Even if the kit is easy enough for your child to perform on their own, it’s important to be nearby and supervise to avoid mishaps from occurring.
Science should be fun and safe. Teaching safety practices early on will allow your child to continue having fun while learning. It also prepares them for safely carrying out science projects in a real lab setting.