Welcome to our guide to the Best Toys for 2 Year Olds. We’re confident you’ll find something you love for that special 2 year old in your life. After all, every child is different so it’s important to explore a diverse range of toys for 2 year olds.
We hope you find something here that your 2 year old will love — I’m confident you will.
Intro – Best Toys for 2 Year Old
The early toddler stages are a fun time when little ones are constantly on the move making new discoveries. That’s why the best toys for 2 year olds are ones that capture their attention and keep them engaged. It’s true that these can be trying times on parents as little busy bodies are curious often leading towards trouble, hence the term ‘terrible twos’. The right toys can help feed into your toddler’s adventurous side while helping parents save their sanity.
Why do they call them ‘terrible twos’ anyway? This is the stage that toddlers are experiencing several changes in their development both physically and emotionally. As your 2 year old is learning they will push their limits and, oftentimes, parents’ patience. They are striving for independence with a desire to do things on their own. As their role models, it’s only natural and fitting that they learn by what they see. The best toys for 2 year olds are the ones that imitate real life activities.
Fisher-Price Little People See n’ Say Farmer Says | Great for 2 year olds
Table of Contents...
- 1 Intro – Best Toys for 2 Year Old
- 2 Play Kitchens and Food Sets
- 3 Sports & Outdoor Play Toys
- 4 Best Riding Toys for a 2 Year Old
- 5 Tech Toys for a 2 Year Old
- 6 Craft Toys
Choosing the Best Toys for a 2 Year Old
The two year stage can be difficult to shop for. As they’re becoming more independent they’ll quickly outgrow those baby toys, but it’s important to keep age recommendations in mind when looking around. Children grow at an alarming rate so it’s understandable to want to buy toys they’ll grow into to last longer; however, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on age. Toys with a warning label that indicate not for children under 3 years are labeled so for a good reason. These usually indicate they contain small parts that could potentially be a choking hazard.
Here are some guidelines on choosing the right toys for your tot:
- Avoid toys that contain projectiles. These are not suitable for children under the age of 4 and can cause harm.
- Be wary of toys that are heavy. If it could potentially fall on your child, it may cause serious harm. Choose lightweight toys or make necessary adjustments to anchor or secure specific types of toys to prevent tipping over.
- Choose toys that are bigger than your child’s mouth to avoid choking hazards. If the toy can pass through a toilet paper roll tube it’s too small.
- Avoid buying big toys designed for older children. Age recommendations are not just indicators that the toy contains small parts. They also indicate the maturity level the toy was designed for which may not be suitable for younger children that have not acquired the skills needed.
- Avoid toys that contain small magnets. We’ve seen a lot of these toys, such as puzzles and crane toys that contain magnets and may seem suitable or even suggest they’re recommended for children as young as 2 years. After a number of reported incidents, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recognized a hidden danger with toys that contain magnets. The magnets can potentially come loose and cause a very serious hazard if swallowed. Powerful magnets can become attracted to each other or other metals while passing through the intestinal tract if consumed; the result leading to severe health risks that often require immediate treatment or even surgery.
- Watch out for toys with a string or cord. Pull toys are popular for young toddlers to tote around, but can carry a dangerous risk. Cords and strings can pose the risk of strangulation if they become wrapped around a child’s neck. Avoid products that contain a cord longer than 12 inches.
Always supervise your toddler while playing with toys, especially if they like to put things in their mouth. Regularly check toys for parts that are damaged or coming loose to properly dispose of them before they can cause a risk to children.
You can skim online retailers’ lists of top sellers in specific categories for gender and age, but this selection outlines toys that are ideal for children in this age group. Many of the toys listed appeal to toddlers between the ages of 2 to 4 years and some actually grow with them so you can get the most bang for your buck.
Play Kitchens and Food Sets
The kitchen is often commonplace where families spend a great deal of time, preparing and enjoying meals. A play kitchen allows your little budding chef their own place to prepare delightful dishes without the mess or dangers of knives and heavy pots. These toy kitchen sets are some great finds to feed their imaginations and encourage social skills.
Fisher-Price Servin’ Surprises Kitchen & Table
- Interactive play center : Kitchen play set converts to activity table
- Table’s adjustable height helps it grow with your child
- “Magic” tray recognizes food and plays songs and phrases
- The tray plays more songs with additional food sets
- Place settings and food pieces store inside table
- Recognizes every Servin’ Surprises food item and responds with appropriate phrases, sound effects and songs
- Oven slides off and stovetop flips to convert into an activity table
- Center of table also provides storage for easy clean up
- Comes with magical serving tray, pizza, cookies and service for 2
This serving table has interactive features that respond for real-action play and serves up some great qualities for learning. The oven lights up and features a timer while the stovetop makes cooking sounds. It comes with Servin’ Surprise food items that the kitchen recognizes when certain actions are performed as your child role plays in the kitchen.
A ‘magic tray’ says phrases as it recognizes different play foods that are placed on it for serving up guests. The kitchen also plays songs that help teach and encourage good manners along with cleanup. The table can also be converted into an activity table for coloring and other activities by sliding off the oven, flipping over the stovetop and storing the accessories in the center of the table.
- Dual-sided kitchen and dining area means friends and family can bond over food – whether they’re the diner or the chef!
- Raised dining area has realistic “tile” counter top and two attached stools for comfy, stylish dining
- Pretend charcoal grill, sink with swivel faucet, and two stove top burners with clicking knobs will have imaginations firing in no time
- “Stainless steel” oven and refrigerator will keep the cooking cycle moving – and double as storage space (accessory set included)
- 152.4cm adjustable umbrella provides shade from the hot summer sun
- Adult assembly required
- RECOMMENDED AGE: 2+
- DIMENSIONS: 152cm H x 101.6cm W x 101.6cm D
- WEIGHT: 34lbs
- Awards: Platinum Award Winner and Snap Award Winner, 2011, Oppenheim Toy Portfolio
- Awards: Gold Award, Oppenheim Toy Portfolio
This grill takes cooking to the outdoors as little ones can serve up some grillin’ favorites. The grill features a realistic brick design, a sink, grill with cover and an oven that can double as storage. It comes with play food including a stack and stay hot dog set and additional accessories. Toddlers can enhance fine motor skills as they grasp and flip hot dogs with the plastic tongs.
LeapFrog Number Lovin’ Oven
- The perfect recipe for number learning fun! From counting and cooking to serving and sharing, it’s preschool prep for little chefs—16 fun ingredients included! Easy take-and-go play—everything fits inside!
- Includes Interactive oven, 4 Pizza slices, 3 Pieces of bread, 2 Cupcakes, 1 Fried egg, 1 Skillet, 1 Spatula, 1 Baking tray, and 2 Plates. Nourish math learning: cut food into 2, 3 or 4 equal pieces.
- Delightful singing oven warms up counting, sharing and vocabulary skills. 30+ phrases & songs. Press the chef’s hat for learning songs, or listen and learn along to fun phrases. Skills learned include counting and sharing.
- Move the number slider to explore numbers, time and temperature. Place the pan on the stove for real sizzle sounds. Turn the timer and count clicks! Close the oven to explore numbers and counting. Open it to learn about counting and sharing.
- Encourages your child to explore early number concepts including recognizing numbers, counting along and sharing. As children play, they may discover interesting mathematical relationships such as parts that make up a whole and dividing equally.
Some play kitchens can take up a great deal of space and if that’s one thing you’re limited on then this little oven is a great alternative. The play oven has a timer that clicks and a stove that plays real sizzling sounds. The LeapFrog oven comes with 16 fun foods that all fit conveniently inside so it can easily be taken on the go for trips to grandma’s.
The little oven helps enhance a toddler’s expanding vocabulary skills with over 30 phrases and songs to help them learn counting numbers, and even sharing. It’s also ideal for preschoolers with play food pieces that make up a whole to teach basic concepts in fractions and dividing equally.
Sports & Outdoor Play Toys
It’s widely known that toddlers have amazing energy levels we can only dream of bottling in our adulthood. When the weather is permitting, the backyard can be the perfect place for toddlers to run freely and work those developing muscles they may not achieve as effectively indoors. Here are some great finds in the best toys for 2 year olds to play outdoors.
- Scoop up water from the basin and pour it in the top bucket to start the water maze fun!
- Water maze pieces can easily be moved to create a new waterfall of zig-zag STEM play
- Two-sided water wall allows for multiple child play
- Bottom basin catches water as it rushes down through the spinners and funnels
- Includes 13-piece accessory set PLUSan additional 13-piece accessory set for double sided fun!
- Minimal assembly required
- RECOMMENDED AGE: 1.5 and Up
- WEIGHT: 12 lbs
Water can provide a world of fun to a toddler and this discovery wall takes it to a new level. The wall comes with 13 accessories to create multiple water mazes. Fill the basin with water and let them scoop it up to pour down the wall and watch in amazement as it flows through the numerous funnels and spinners.
The wall is 2-sided for multi-child play and the pieces can be moved around again and again providing long lasting fun. The wall stands at a height of 16.5 inches, an ideal height for toddlers 18 months and up.
Can be used indoors at its shortest height and then movie it outdoors at its tallest height.
- Adjustable post allows this kids basketball hoop to go from 48″ (121.9 cm) to 60″ (152.4cm) to 72″ (182.9 cm)
- Large backboard for basketball to bounce off of and into the hoop
Break-away rim with real woven net allows kids to try out their jump shot and make a slam dunk
- Base includes two built-in holders for drinks or basketball storage
- Base can be weighted down with 30 lbs. of sand or 2.5 gallons of water, not included
- Includes one 6″ (15.2 cm) basketball
- Adult assembly required
- RECOMMENDED AGE: 2 and up
Introducing your toddler to a sport early on can have a profound impact on their love for the game later in life. The Shootin’ Hoops basketball set is the perfect size for fresh walkers with a bulky basketball hoop that is oversized for easy shots. The height of the post can be adjusted from 30 inches up to 48 inches in 6-inch increments to grow with children.
A large backboard makes it easy for little ones to dunk the ball, instilling self-confidence as they achieve new skills. Making the ball into the net of the hoop is also a great skill building activity for toddlers in coordination. As a safety measure, the base of the hoop can be weighted down using water or sand to prevent it from tipping over on your child. It comes with a 6-inch basketball, suitable for tiny hands to grasp and throw.
- Go Green with this clubhouse for toddlers that teaches them about recycling and their environment
- Playhouse has multiple activities including the recycling bins, living roof, and planting box
- Kids can use the pump sink and rain barrel to learn about saving water
- Made with 10% recycled plastic
- House has solar powered LED lights for extra light inside the house Recycling center with removable bins
- Working pump sink can be removed for play outside the house
- Recycling center with dual removable bins
- Planting box and water reservoir, fed by rain barrel
- Working Dutch door, doorbell, and mailbox
- Roof section opens for ventilation
- Includes 3 accessories – shovel, rake and watering can
- Packaging is printed with patterns to create a birdhouse, etc.
- Includes a booklet to teach kids about all the features
- Small roof section can be filled with soil to grow grass (like a green roof)
- Planting box where kids can really grow flowers and vegetables
- Real working sink, water comes from rain barrel
- Assembly Required
Outdoor playhouses are wonderful for inspiring imaginations, role playing, and social skills among many other things. This little playhouse has the typical features of a real house like a working door, mailbox, and shutter window. This one goes even further with special features that teach young toddlers about conserving for the environment.
There’s a garden box which toddlers can plant kid-friendly plants or flowers in, a rain barrel that collects rainwater to be used for watering the plants, and solar panels that power the LED lights inside the playhouse for extra lighting. The garden box can also be used as a sandbox. The rainwater barrel is attached to the pump sink so kids can actually pump water. It even has color-coded recycling bins inside that you can help demonstrate how to sort and recycle certain materials.
Best Riding Toys for a 2 Year Old
At 2 years old, most children are actively walking on their own. Ride-ons or riding toys can be very beneficial for toddlers of this age as they engage in critical gross motor skills. These age-appropriate riding toys will provide tots with a great way to get around swiftly while exploring their imaginations.
Little Tikes | Cozy Coupe 30th Anniversary Car
- Removable floor to allows kids to use foot-to- floor power
- Handle on back for parent-controlled push rides
- Designed with a high seat back and cup holders in the rear
- Moving, clicking ignition switch
- Gas cap open and closes
- Front wheels spin 360 degrees
- Weight limit up to 50 lbs.
This little car is one of the best toys for 2 year olds that has been favored for decades and still just as popular. Little tikes love to swing open the door and climb inside for fun and exciting adventures in their little coupe. It has an ‘ignition switch’ that kids can turn to imitate turning on the car and an open-close gas cap for easy fill ups.
Cup holders in the back make the perfect touch to bring their favorite drinks along for the ride or a small toy riding companion. Traditionally, the car runs on your toddler’s foot power as they use their own legs to maneuver the car forward or backward. The newest feature in the coupe is a detachable floor that parents can add on and a built-in handle on the back to allow parents to push the car instead.
- The perfect complement to any Little Tikes ride on toy
- Designed with 3 weatherproof electronic fuel buttons that make 6 fun sounds when kids stop to “fill up”
- Pretend gas pump hose (color may vary) with pretend nozzle
- Requires 2 “AA” alkaline batteries (not included)
Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike
- Safest balance bike with rock-solid construction
- Ultra light and portable — no fuss, just fun!
- Sturdy design built for kids from 18 months to 5 years old
- Makes the time you spend together fun and active!
It looks like a traditional bike but it’s missing something – pedals! By their second year most toddlers are walking around and will continue working on building up coordination skills. Balance bikes give an added push that are designed to strengthen their balance and coordination skills on two wheels without the use of training wheels.
Kids push off using their feet to get the bike going and integrated foot rests allow them to work on balance as they cruise along. The low profile makes it easy for little legs to control the bike and encourages self-reliance and confidence as they become more comfortable letting the bike cruise along.
The Cruzee ultralite balance bike is made of super lightweight anodized aluminum to provide better control and easier maneuverability for little learners. The flat-free tires are made to go over any terrain. The Ultralite balance bike is suitable for children from 18 months up to 5 years and made with durable quality to last.
Let your toddler saddle up with this fun bouncy horse. The inflatable horse hopper is a very popular hit with toddlers, especially if they’ve shown interest in rocking horses or bouncing around. The horse hopper sits on 4 stable legs and low to the ground for little legs to bounce around to their heart’s content. It’s also a great toy to help improve balance and coordination as toddlers gain motor control to keep from falling off while hopping along. The horse hopper comes with a two-way hand pump to inflate it.
Tech Toys for a 2 Year Old
As adults, many of us enjoy our own tech toys so it’s no surprise that kids love them too. They’re an easy source of entertainment and most of them provide educational value. Many of today’s trendy tech toys for toddlers also support S.T.E.M. (science, technology, engineering, and math) concepts that children as young as 18 months can gain value from.
Fisher-Price / Think & Learn Code-A-Pillar
For children over 3 years old. Not for 2 year olds, but a great toy for slightly older kids.
- 1 motorized head and 8 easy-to-connect segments for endless combinations!
- Kids connect the segments to make Code-a-pillar™ go forward, left, right or wherever they choose
- Each segment lights up as the action happens!
- Motorized head segment features lights, fun character sounds and blinking eyes to bring Code-A-pillar™ to life!
- Can you reach the target? Challenge kids to configure the segments so Code-a-pillar can get to the targets and each their goals.
- 8 segments: (3) move forward, (2) Turn Right 90 degrees, (2) Turn Left 90 degrees and (1) sound action segment
- 2 destination targets
- 1 motorized head
- Helps develop skills like sequencing, critical thinking, reasoning, discovery, memory, problem solving and experimentation
- Gives fine motor skills a good workout
- Kids discover that their actions make things happen (also known as cause & effect)!
- Requires 4 AA alkaline batteries, the fresher the better!
This little guy comes to life as children put the segments together to form a caterpillar. The head segment lights up and plays different sounds and comes with 8 additional segments that each light up. Attach segments together to give the code-a-pillar a direction to move towards.
The segments can be attached in an endless combination of possibilities. As your child grows with it and learns how to create a path, they can plan ahead and arrange segments to get the code-a-pillar from start to finish. The code-a-pillar offers problem-solving skill building and navigation.
80-21601E Interactive Learning System
The magic behind leapstart is a stylus that reads invisble dots on every page triggering engaging audio like questions, challenges, songs, jokes and more to teach school and life skills in new, exciting ways.
- Best for curious 2-4 year olds
- Includes preschool and pre-kindergarten sampler book
- Easy-hold stylus for little hands
- Handle for easy carrying
- Works with a library of 16 books
Get them excited about learning with this system by LeapFrog that is designed for preschoolers aged 2-4 years. The learning system consists of over 400 activities that help teach a wide array of skills from counting to problem solving and even real life skills on various levels. The LeapStart comes with a stylus that is designed for small hands to grasp and reads invisible dots on the pages of the activity book that initiate different actions.
It can play songs, gives challenges and ask questions with games and puzzles to keep busy minds active. A carrying handle makes it easy to store and take along for car trips and travel for learning on the go. There’s also a hookup for headphones that parents may take advantage of for those long car rides. LeapStart Interactive learning system works with a library of 16 books (purchased separately) for engaging activities from preschool to 1st grade.
Technology has become very deeply involved in our daily lives and it has its benefits as well as disadvantages. Introducing media to children at 18 months and up can provide value to their development and overall well-being, but with moderation in mind. It is recommended that children between the ages 2 and 5 years of age should be limited to no more than 1 hour of screen time total per day. It’s also advised that screen time, whether on a mobile device or television, consist of high-quality material that provides beneficial qualities to their development.
Sprout Channel Cubby Kids 7” Tablet
This little tablet for your toddler is one you will feel good about. It comes loaded with 40 plus episodes from Sprout’s original programming featuring shows like Barney and Bob the Builder. Additional activities equipped on the tablet include games, pages they can color, and ideas for craft projects plus much more. It’s designed to withstand the abuse toddlers are infamous for when it comes to handling objects with rubber bumpers for shock absorbers.
One thing that makes this tablet stand out above the competitors is its battery life that lasts up to 8 hours so there’s less recharging in between screen times.
Letting your 2 year old explore their creativity through arts and crafts is fun and engages key skills they’ll need to acquire before they start school, such as grasping a crayon. Through daily activities in art and crafts your child will develop in motor skills as well as cognitive as they show preference to favorite colors and styles of drawing. Drawing and writing also provides a way for children to express themselves who are still developing their communication skills. These are age-appropriate craft toys your 2 year old can enjoy.
140 Piece fun kit
- All-in-one portable art studio includes art supplies consisting of crayons, pencils, markers, and sheets of drawing paper that can keep you creating for hours.
- Contains 140 pieces of kids art supplies
- The Crayola art supplies case has a special compartment for each drawing tool, so you won’t misplace anything.
- Pack up all your supplies and unleash your creativity any time, any place.
- Art Case contains 64 Crayola Crayons, 20 Crayola Short Colored Pencils, 40 Crayola Washable
- Markers and 15 large sheets of paper.
Step2 | Art Easel Desk
- Desk with work space for creative projects
- Dry erase board includes clip to hang paper for other projects
- Storage area above desk holds art supplies for easy access
- Base ensures stability while in use
- Maximum weight: 50 lbs (22.7)
- Need more information on our art desks and easel? Compare our art desks and easels!
- Minimal adult assembly required
- RECOMMENDED AGE: 1.5 and up
- WEIGHT: 18 lbs
Kids need a space to let their creativity flow like this 2-in-1 easel desk. On one side is a desk where they can sit and scribble or draw on their work space for all their crafts. Above the desk is a storage space that provides easy access for their art supplies (not included) to keep them organized and within reach.
The workspace also provides additional storage beneath the desktop for supplies, accessories, or completed works of art. On the other side is a dry-erase board they can draw on again and again using dry-erase crayons that are suitable for the surface. There is also an art clip for paintings and displaying pictures.
- Explore patterns, matching, sorting, sequencing, and more with the Colors and Shapes kit
- Together Time Guide features activities to help you customize playtime
- 2-sided shape cutters to compare big and small shapes
- Promotes color and shape identification, matching, and compare/contrast
- Can help encourage sensory-motor development including fine motor skills
- Includes : 8 shape cutters, roller, 2 double-sided playmats, Together Time Guide, and 8 cans of
- Play-Doh Brand Modeling Compound
- 8 Chunky, 2-sided Cutters for Big and Small Shapes
- 8 Play-Doh Colors for Lots of Creativity
- Fun Activities on the Double-Sided Playmats
- Ideas and Activities in the 8-Page Together Time Guide
Play doh is a great concept and texture component for 2 year olds to work with under close supervision. Molding and shaping with play doh helps toddlers gain sensory motor development while enhancing fine motor skill development. This shapes and colors set comes with 8 cans of play doh in different colors, 8 shape cutters, 2 double-sided play mats and a roller.
The thick cutters are designed for little hands to easily cut and form shapes. Kids can work with and form different shapes, learn color recognition, patterns and sequences, and compare and contrast with the play mats that also make cleanup easy.
Some of the best toys for 2 year olds are still the ones that rely strictly on kid power and imagination. At this age, kids are actively engaging in pretend play as they mimic and imitate actions and activities, making simple toys a hit. These timeless classics are sure to spark interest in your toddler while inspiring creativity.
- Light weight and easy to assemble knight castle design play tent.
To be used in or out door. Easily folds and placed back in case for storage.
- Perforated windows, lets the air in, helps keep the bugs out.
Includes 4 ground pegs for better stability.
- 40″ x by 51″ high.
- Material: 100% polyester fabric with steel frame. Adult assembly required.
Kids love playing in tents. It provides a cool place of their own where they can let their imaginations take them anywhere they can think up. Spare your sheets and couch cushions with a trendy teepee tent like the KidKraft TeePee. It’s very easy and quick to set up, composed of sturdy bamboo poles and canvas.
These canvas tents come in a wide selection of designs to suit their personality or their room. There are mesh windows that let kids peep out while parents can keep an eye on them without compromising their space. It is the ideal little tent for indoor campouts, teepee parties, story time, or anything your toddler can imagine.
HABA | My First Ball Track
Basic Pack 18 Piece Building Set (Made in Germany)
There’s something intriguing about following an object racing along on a track. A marble run can be a lot of fun for kids to set up and watch as the marble rolls, but they’re usually too small for toddlers to play. The HABA ball track gives toddlers the best of both worlds with this ball track that comes with building blocks they stack together to create a track.
It provides a great opportunity to build fine motor skills while encouraging independence. It has pegs for the connecting blocks to stabilize the track so the ball stays right on course. The set comes with 4 ramps, 8 curves, and 12 supports for numerous possibilities. It also includes 3 dominoes and 3 balls with special effects that rattle or ring when they roll. It’s compatible with other HABA building sets so you can expand it as your child’s imagination grows.
HABA | Rainbow Whirls Pegging Game
- The colored pegs and rings offer many different plug-in variations. The rings can also be piled up on the pegs making this game ideal for free-play
- For HABA responsibility is written in Capital letters. This game is made of Beech wood that comes from sustainable forestry in Germany
- When applying colors, we use multiple layers of water-based, solvent-free lacquers making the surface extremely resistant to wear and tear allowing the toy to be taken from the hand to the mouth
- Winner of these prestigious awards: creative child magazine game of the year, Dr. Toy best classic toys, Dr. Toy best vacation products, the National Parenting Seal of Approval 2011
- This 32 piece set includes wooden pegboard measuring 7.25″ x 7.25″. recommended for ages 2 – 6
This is another one by HABA that’s pretty neat, combining several different elements that are popular with toddlers – puzzles, stacking, and free play with rings and pegs. The 32-piece set comes with rings and pegs in multiple vibrant colors for endless color combinations and patterns. The pegs plug into the slots on the board and rings can be stacked on the pegs to provide hours of fun, fine motor skill building and cognitive development.
While many of the toys mentioned here are suggested as the best toys for 2 year olds, bear in mind that toddlers develop at different rates. What may be a practical toy for one toddler might be a little too advanced for another child of the same age or a little older. When looking for toys that you feel are suitable for your child, consider which ones would be most appealing at their stage of development and level of maturity.
Looking for more toy gift ideas? For Christmas or a birthday? If so, have a look at these articles :
- Cools Toys for Boys | Fun and Unique Gifts for Kids
- Classic Toys for Kids | Timeless Gifts for Kids
- Farm Toys for Boys & Girls