STIHL is one of the largest manufacturers of chainsaws worldwide, and undoubtedly one of the most reputable companies when it comes to producing and designing products. Their primary focus is on outdoor handheld power equipment, including: blowers, lawnmowers, trimmers, and many more. STIHL has been around since 1926 and seem to be in a constant competitive battle with Husqvarna when it comes to chainsaws, and other power tools.
Learn How to Start a Chainsaw
Before attempting to start your chainsaw make sure you’ve read your owners manual thoroughly as chainsaws may vary in their starting procedure. Also, make sure you’re wearing your safety gear as well. The video above demonstrates how to start a Husqvarna chainsaw but the principles apply across all manufacturers.
Starting a Chainsaw
- Engage the chain brake by pushing forward on your top handle guard (chain brake).
- Set your ignition switch to the “ON” position.
- Turn your choke on, but please read your owners manual as manufacturers will widely vary on the proper choke operation.
- If your chainsaw has a primer pump, this is the point when you use it.
- If your chainsaw has a decompression switch, push it. Essentially, what the decompression switch makes it easy to pull the starter handle by releasing cylinder pressure. Again, check your owners manual.
- Make sure you stabilize the saw. The proper way to do this is by putting your foot through the handle.
- Kneel down, grab the top handle while holding the chainsaw down firmly. If you need to, you can start it standing up.
- Pull the starter cord slowly until you start to feel resistance. Once you feel the resistance pull quickly but hold on to the starter handle and allow it to recoil slowly. Repeat the pulling motion until it starts.
- Turn off your choke and reset the decompression button if your chainsaw has one.
Watch the video by Husqvarna to get a clear picture on how to start a chainsaw:
Videos | How to Start a Chainsaw
This article is not much of an article but I’ve found some excellent videos for you to actually see how to start a chainsaw. Sometimes it’s better to watch videos in order to learn how to do something. I didn’t see the point in writing a lengthy article on starting a chainsaw.
Watching one of these videos will save you a lot of time and frustration when it comes to starting a chainsaw.
How to Start a Husqvarna Chainsaw
How to Start A STIHL Chainsaw
Basic Chainsaw Starting Tips
How to Start an Echo Chainsaw
How to Start a Chainsaw after not using it for many years
How to Start a Ryobi Chainsaw
If you’re looking to find your next chainsaw, you’ll like these articles:
- Cheap Gas Chainsaws
- Best Chainsaw for the Money
- Best GreenWorks Chainsaw | 40V and 80V
- Best Electric Chainsaws
- Best Gas Chainsaw
- Cheap Electric Chainsaws
- Chainsaw Buying Guide for Homeowners
- Best Battery Operated Chainsaws
- Concrete Chainsaws
- Top Handle Chainsaws for Homeowners
- Husqvarna 445
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher
- Poulan Pro 5020AV
- WORX JawSaw
- WORX Chainsaw WG303.1
- Black & Decker Alligator Lopper
- Oregon PowerNow CS1500
WELCOME to our practical chainsaw buying guide. If you’ve never owned a chainsaw, it can be intimidating.
Purchasing a chainsaw may seem like a daunting task for the typical homeowner or beginning professional, and if you’re just beginning to sift through the wealth of information online you’ll quickly realize that there are a lot of variables and options to consider when buying a chainsaw. That’s why I decided to sit down and spend the time to write you a chainsaw buying guide to provide you with clarity and direction so you can hone on on the correct chainsaw suitable for your needs. [Read more…]
Chainsaw safety is the single most important thing you need to learn about before ever starting your chainsaw. Manufacturers are continually trying to make their chainsaws as safe as possible with new features, at the the end of the day it’s your responsibility to educate yourself and follow proper operating procedures when tackling any project.
You must always wear your safety gear when working with a chainsaw and also, something that many people overlook is to inspect their chainsaw to ensure that the safety gear is fully operational.
A lot of people want to know about how to remove tree stumps from their yard. It’s a common problem that most people don’t bother dealing with but it’s not as complicated as you think. But there are a few different ways you can go about removing them and we’ll cover each one. They are:
- Stump Removal Chemicals
- Stump Grinder
Chemicals are the cheapest way to remove a tree stump but you’ll have to be patient. A stump grinder is a tool designed just for stump removal but they’re expensive. A chainsaw will also get the job done. I’ve included several videos so you can see how to remove a tree stump from your yard.