If you’re looking for versatility and power then you’ll be interested in the DuroMax XP10000EH that can run off of gas or propane; providing you with additional flexibility depending on circumstances, when gas is scarce.
The DuroMax XP10000EH runs at 8000 watts with a 10,000 watt rating for starting your power equipment. Dual-fuel generators are always more expensive when compared to a traditional gas-only generator. The DuroMax brand is very affordable across their full lineup of generators so this is an excellent value.
Sooner or Later, the Power Will Go Down
Do you remember when you were a child and all the lights would go out? Your mom and dad would rummage through drawers trying to find candles so you could see what you were doing. Although we have fond memories of sitting around under candlelight worrying about the weather outside, they didn’t address the biggest problem you were facing.
When the lights go out it usually means you have a complete lack of power. Not only does nothing work, but depending on how long it lasts it could get a little dangerous. Thankfully gas-powered generators came along and we finally had a lifeline in the event of an emergency. Unfortunately they are still not sufficient in certain situations.
VIDEO | Quick Look at the DuroMax XP10000EH
- Runs on regular gasoline or liquid propane, a convenient alternative choice during emergencies when gasoline is scarce.
- Powerful 18 HP engine is able to accept high-wattage loads with ease.
- Generator has endless uses, from home standby power and job sites to a weekend with the RV
- Allows user to get maximum power from each of the 120-Volt receptacles and to choose between operating at both 120-Volt and 240-Volt simultaneously or at 120 only with full power.
- Equipped with low oil protection, AC and DC regulators and a spark arrestor, ensuring your unit will remain safe and in top operating condition.
- Designed to allow anyone to start and operate with electric and recoil start.
NOTE : We discuss all of the details of the DuroMax XP10000EH dual-fuel generator later in this article, but first I wanted to provide a general overview to reference throughout the article. We feel it’s important to talk about the various advantages and disadvantages of each type of generator so you can make an informed decision about which generator to buy.
Maybe the DuroMax XP10000EH is not the right generator for you. I’ve learned that sometimes what I think I need is not really what I need in practice. Let’s be honest, sometimes we buy things with amazing features because someday we might need them but we never really end up using them. Sure, they sound practical and useful but there’s no point in spending the extra money if your needs will unlikely require the use of them. Remember all of those ‘cool’ VCR features that you never used? Well, I still do — that’s how old I am.
Either way, we give you facts to think about throughout the article so you can ultimately make a better decision.
Let’s start at the beginning; sort of — the basics first.
What Is A Dual Fuel Generator?
Before we look at the benefits of dual fuel generators like the DuroMax XP10000EH, it’s probably best to quickly discuss how they work. Although they’re becoming extremely popular at the moment they are still relatively new in the grand scheme of things. A dual fuel generator is simply a machine that runs on two alternative types of fuel, which happens to be gasoline and propane (liquified petroleum gas).
Main Benefits Of A Dual Fuel Generator?
There are a few benefits we’re going to look at in a second, but I think the biggest one deserves to be singled out. A generator like the DuroMax XP10000EH could literally save your life. I know there are multiple reasons why you would buy a generator for your home, but the main one is because you’ll be covered in emergency situations. Sadly, a bunch of candles aren’t going to keep you warm or allow you to cook food.
Who knows how long the power will disappear for when a hurricane or earthquake strikes. When you consider how long it’s taken us to react to emergencies in the past, it’s frightening to imagine sitting around and waiting it out. It’s also likely going to get worse as the affects of global warming throw up lots of surprises. Now you’re probably wondering why you wouldn’t just stick to a tried and tested gas-powered generator.
It’s a bad idea to limit yourself to only one fuel source. Nobody should throw all of their eggs into one basket. How much gasoline do you keep at home right now? What if it all runs out in your local area days before order is restored? You’re going to find yourself in lots of trouble if you can’t keep your gas-powered generator running, but switching to a dual fuel generator will almost guarantee you have power.
Practical Benefits To Consider | Dual-Fuel Generator
Having the ability to switch between gasoline and propane is a game changer, but there are also lots of reasons why LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) is useful. Here are some of the things you should think about:
- They’re A Lot More Reliable
- You’ll Be Helping The Environment
- It’s Much Cheaper Per Gallon
- You Don’t Have To Store As Much
- Propane Tanks Are Easier To Store
- It Will Last You A Lot Longer
— They’re A Lot More Reliable
When discussing reliability we’re talking about a dual fuel generator like the DuroMax XP10000EH itself. Not gas versus propane. This is simply because something could happen that would render the your gasoline useless, and what are you going to do should this occur?
When you have a dual fuel generator you don’t need to worry because it will keep running off the propane. When you only have one option and it disappears in the middle of a natural disaster, consider yourself in trouble unless you know how to get more gas fast.
Versatility in times of turmoil | Champion Power Equipment 100165
— You’ll Be Helping The Environment
How much do you care about the environment? Maybe 50 percent of people will say they don’t care too much, so think about it this way instead. The environment will already be getting destroyed if you need to start up the generator during a disaster, so hopefully you’ll want to make it worse.
You can’t go easy on the environment when you’re running a gas-powered generator because toxic fumes are going to be released into the air. Propane isn’t exactly perfect, but it’s by far the lesser of two evils. It’s not like you’ll have any access to electricity and will need to use something.
— It’s Much Cheaper Per Gallon
Gasoline in the US is much cheaper than in other countries throughout the world, but it’s still not free. Considering you’re going to be paying a decent price for an effective dual fuel generator, it’s natural to want your overall costs to be as low as possible.
Do you have any idea how much propane will cost you? On a gallon by gallon basis it’s going to be somewhere around 50 percent cheaper. Obviously it’s impossible to give an exact price difference because the cost of gasoline and propane will vary in different places.
— You Don’t Have To Store As Much
When a natural disaster strikes it’s only really the beginning. Even if it sticks around for a few minutes the aftermath is much worse. You could be left without power for days, or maybe longer if you’re really unlucky. How much gas do you think you’ll need?
Remember, your power is gone so the power at the gas stations will be gone too. It means you won’t be able to pop down to your local station to fill up your containers. To ensure you have enough gas to last you through a big emergency you would need a lot of it.
— Propane Tanks Are Easier To Store
If you have a barbecue you’ll know tanks are easier to store too. Once they’re in your garage you’ll be able to forget about them until you need to hook one up to your dual fuel generator. Nothing is ever likely to leak out onto the floor.
When you keep gas in containers there is more chance of them spilling. Not only does it mean you’ll have less gas, but it’s unhealthy to breathe in and an obvious fire hazard. Even if you don’t drop one accidentally, an earthquake could knock them over.
— It Will Last You A Lot Longer
This is actually a lot more important than you think, and it boils down to the fact natural disasters don’t come along every day. Do you have any idea how long gasoline will last before it goes over its shelf life? You’ll have a year if you’re lucky.
Surely it doesn’t make sense to keep topping up your gas canisters every year when you have the option of using propane too. The shelf life of propane will be longer than the tank it sits in, so you’ll need to keep much less gas topped up every year.
Please Note: These benefits were merely to show the effectiveness of propane. At the end of the day, both gasoline and propane are great. They’re the ultimate team and it’s the reason why dual fuel generators are going to be absolutely huge for years to come.
Other Types Of Generators You Can Buy
Dual fuel generators aren’t the only option available to you. We’re going to focus on the DuroMax XP10000EH in a while, but we’ll look at a few other generators because nobody wants to be limited to one choice. Before we actually look at the generators, let’s give you a brief overview of the different types you can pick up and why they’re so good:
- Gas-Powered Generators
- Inverter Generators
- Tri-Fuel Generators
— Gas-Powered Generators
Gas-powered generators have been around for ages, so while they’re not as trustworthy as dual fuel generators we know they work. They’re cheaper and will still help you out in an emergency situation. They are also extremely powerful, so if you buy the right one it’s going to be capable of powering your entire home while you ride out the storm. For anything other than emergencies they’re great.
Example of a heavy-duty gas powered generator | DuroMax XP12000E
— Inverter Generators
Inverter generators still run on gasoline, but they have a few benefits that make them slightly better. For a start, they’re a lot less deafening and your ears won’t burn while you’re standing next to them. They are also a much better choice for delicate electronics because they maintain a single phase pure sine wave. A typical inverter generator is small, light, and very portable. Unfortunately they are not as powerful as their gas-powered cousins.
Example of an inverter generator | Yamaha EF3000iSEB
— Tri-Fuel Generators
A tri-fuel generator is much more useless than any other generator in an emergency situation. They feed natural gas into your generator, so when the power goes out they don’t have any advantages. On the plus side, when you’re not sitting in the middle of a hurricane you’ll be able to use your generator even if you’ve forgotten to go out to refill your propane tanks. If you’re into convenience and don’t care much about upfront costs, they’re a good everyday choice.
Smart Generators STF9375 : Runs on Propane (LPG), Natural Gas or Gasoline.
DuroMax XP10000EH | Dual-Fuel Generator
- Dual Fuel Runs on Gasoline or Propane (LPG).
- Max. AC Output: 10,000 Watts.
- Rated AC Output: 8,000 Watts.
- Electric Key and EZ-Pull Recoil start.
- Mobility kit for easy transporting.
- Low oil indicator shut-off protects engine.
- Super quiet muffler reduces engine noise.
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the DuroMax XP10000EH
Overview — DuroMax XP10000EH
The DuroMax brand has quickly become one of the most respected names in the industry, which is probably because DuroPower make such fantastic and long-lasting engines. The California-based company definitely hit a winner when they released the DuroMax XP10000EH because it’s been a huge hit with customers, which the reviews on Amazon will easily show you.
We’re going to look at a few other options you can compare this particular model to in a while, but let’s focus in on the features that make it stand out first:
- Huge Starting Watts And Running Watts
- An Extremely Powerful DuroMax Engine
- Switching From Gasoline To Propane
- Very Easy To Move The Generator Around
- The Power Panel Is Very Easy To Use
- Simple To Get The Generator Up And Running
- Lots Of Other Features You’ll Enjoy
Huge Starting Watts And Running Watts
The Starting watts on the DuroMax XP10000EH is 10,000 and the Running watts is 8,000. If you’re unsure what this means, it’s essentially how much things your generator will be able to run at once. 8,000 Running watts is enough to run nearly every essential appliance inside your home, and it also has an extra 2,000 watts to give certain appliances a kick when they need more power to get started. It’s more than the perfect size for the average US home.
An Extremely Powerful DuroMax Engine
It has an extremely powerful DuroMax 18 HP OHV 4-stroke air cooled engine under the hood. What is surprising about this engine is the fact it will run at a constant speed, so it can deal with the biggest electrical loads as well as your delicate appliances. The 8.3 gallon steel fuel tank will give you 10 hours of runtime at 50 percent load, which is perfect for emergencies because it will last the entire night.
Switching From Gasoline To Propane
This is obviously the biggest draw, but how quickly do you think it can switch from gasoline to propane? Switch was a good choice of word to use because it is basically as quick as flicking one. The DuroMax XP10000EH will switch between gasoline and propane within seconds. Your propane hose and regulator makes it so simple. The propane does need to be between 3-200 PSI to work.
Very Easy To Move The Generator Around
The generator measures 34 x 27 x 27 inches and weighs 265 pounds, but it’s still very easy to move around. This is crucial because you want power back as soon as possible once it disappears. The high leverage handles make it easy to wheel around even if you’re not too strong, plus the large solid-fill tires will help you maneuver it over all kinds of terrain. The superb tires will also never go flat no matter what.
The Power Panel Is Very Easy To Use
On a lot of generators you find various bits all over the place, but on the DuroMax XP10000EH the power panel is extremely easy to use. This is because everything is located in the same place. You’ll be able to start the generator up, discover if there are problems you should know about, and plug in all of your appliances. Speaking of outlets, you can run things at 120V or 120V + 240V at the same time.
Simple To Get The Generator Up And Running
You know it’s not going to take long to grab the generator from the garage, but how long do you think it will take to start? It’s started by turning a key on, which means anyone will be able to do it. Just remember you’ve got to make sure the battery is charged at all times. If you find out the battery is flat there is no need to worry, because the DuroMax XP10000EH has a recoil start as a backup.
Additional Features you’ll Appreciate
We could speak about lots of other features all day, but I’m sure you’re ready to look at new generators. First, let’s point out a few cool extras you’ll get to enjoy:
- Super quiet muffler brings noise level down to 72dB
- The air cooled engine stops it from overheating
- Ability to use any size of propane tank
- Automatic low oil indicator shut off
- You can use straight out of the box in minutes
- You’ll get a 1-year limited warranty
Alternative Recommendations | Top Rated Generators
The DuroMax XP10000EH is the king of generators at the moment, but there are other options out there. We’ll spend a few minutes touching on the best features of each one in order to give you a bigger chance of finding a generator that meets your needs:
- Westinghouse WH7500E Gas-Powered Portable Generator
- Champion Power Equipment 100165 Dual Fuel Generator
- WEN 56877 Gas-Powered Portable Generator
- Yamaha EF4500iSE Gas-Powered Inverter Generator
Westinghouse WH7500E | Gas Portable Generator
NOTE : This generator has been replaced (and improved) by the Westinghouse WGen7500DF. Read our indepth review which covers everything you need to know about this excellent 7500 watt generator. See the new model below.
Features (Westinghouse WGen7500):
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start with Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank with Fuel Gauge; 10 Hour Run Time at 50% Load
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420 cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- EPA, CARB, and CSA Compliant; Backed By a 3-Year Warranty; Nationwide Customer Service and Support Network
———- NOTE : The information below is for the older model…
Running And Starting Watts – The Running watts of the WH7500E is 7,500 and the Starting watts is a touch higher at 9,000. This is still more than adequate to power your home.
Manual Transfer Switch – You can actually hook this up to your home wiring, so when the power goes out you only need to flick a switch and the generator will take over all the duties.
One Touch Electric Start – The Westinghouse WH7500E might be easier to start than the DuroMax XP10000EH, because you only need to press a button. It comes with a backup recoil start too.
Lots Of Power Outlets – You’ll have access to four 5-20R 120V outlets and one L14-30R 120/240V twist lock outlet, so there are plenty of spaces for lots of appliances.
A Powerful Westinghouse Engine – The 420cc Westinghouse 4-stroke OHV engine with 6.6 gallon fuel tank will last roughly 11 hours with a 25 percent load, which should last all night.
Champion Power Equipment 100165 | Dual Fuel Generator
- 7500 running watts/9375 starting watts — gasoline
- 6750 running watts/8400 starting watts — propane
- 120/240V AC Load
- GFCI receptacles
- Touch Start – Push-button electric start (battery included)
- Intelligauge (volts, frequency, operating hours)
- Up to 8 hour run time at 50% load (gasoline)
- 74 dBA at 23 ft.
- Mobility kit with never flat tires
- Low oil shut-off sensor
- USDA approved spark arrestor
- Durable steel frame
- 50 state compliant (EPA+CARB certified)
Includes: Mobility kit, Start up oil, Battery, Oil funnel, LPG hose with regulator.
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the Champion Power Equipment 100165.
Running And Starting Watts – When using gas the Running watts is 7,500 and the Starting watts is 9,375. On propane it’s a little lower at 6,750 Running watts and 8,400 Starting watts.
Safety Features In Place – The Champion 100165 has things like an automatic low oil shut off sensor, Volt Guard protection against power surges, and GFCI protected outlets built into the dual fuel generator.
It’s Very Easy To Start – Like all the generators we’ve spoken about so far, it’s very easy to start with the push of a button and has a recoil start backup. It can also be started in extremely cold conditions.
It Has A Long Run-time – Although it’s not the greatest we’ve seen today, it will still run for 8 hours on a full tank of gas. When using a 20 pound propane tank it will run for 5.5 hours.
Easy To Move Around – It only weighs 117.5 pounds and its dimensions are 30.7 x 21 x 23.3 inches. When you combine this with the leverage handles and wheels that never go flat it’s easy to transport anywhere.
WEN 56877 | Gas Generator
- 420cc 15 HP OHV engine provides 9000 surge watts and 7000 running watts.
- 6.5-gallon fuel tank provides up to 9 hours of operation at half load.
- Easy ignition with the keyless electric start or by pulling the back-up recoil starter.
- Features four 120V 20A three-prong outlets, one 120/240V 30A twist-lock (L14-30), one 120V 30A twist lock, and one car-charger-style 12V DC outlet.
- Includes wheel kit, NEMA L14-30 plug, adjustment wrenches and a two-year warranty.
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the WEN 56877 generator.
High Running And Starting Watts – The Running watts on the WEN 56877 is 7,000 and the Starting watts is 9,000. It doesn’t sound like much of a difference versus the others until you look at the price.
A Large Fuel Tank – The fuel tank on the 420cc 15HP OHV engine will hold 6.5 gallons of gasoline. This will give you a run-time of around 9 hours when the generator is running at 50 percent load.
Outlets for the WEN 56877
Safe For National Parks – The WEN 56877 isn’t a dual fuel generator, so you might be looking to use it for something other than emergencies. Its spark arrestor will let you use it legally in all forests and national parks.
Automatic Voltage Regulator – When looking at gas-powered generators you always have to worry about how they’ll be able to handle sensitive devices like smartphones. The automatic voltage regulator can put your mind at ease.
Large Number Of Power Receptacles – The WEN 56877 has four 120V 20A 3-prong wall outlets, one 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet, one 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and a single 12V DC outlet.
Yamaha EF4500iSE | Gas-Powered Inverter Generator
- 4500 watt maximum output, 4000 watt rated continuous output —Suitable for running most 15,000 BTU RV air conditioners and 1000 watt microwave oven, or two major RV appliances simultaneously.
- Noise Block sound reduction system — Very quiet 58-60 decibels
- Low speed running — Using the most powerful engine in its class to run at a constant ultra low speed of 2600 rpm to reduce gasoline consumption, extend running time between refueling and reduce noise and engine wear
- Up to 15.2 hours running time at one quarter rated load between refueling
- 50 state legal — Meets CARB emission regulations and given highest EPA rating
- Pulse Width Modulation Inverter System — Sine wave as clean as or cleaner than household electricity. Suitable for computers, televisions, satellite TV systems and other sensitive electronic equipment and appliances
- Optional wireless remote control — Start and stop the generator from up to 66 feet away
- Electric start — Effortless turn the key to start
- Automatic choke — Easy starting even in cold climates
- Low oil warning system — Shuts the engine off to protect the engine if the oil level drops
- Power meter — Easy to read meter indicates the amount of power being used and the amount that’s available
- Hour meter —Displays the amount of running time accumulated to indicate servicing or refueling interval
- Twin bar — Aids in lifting and loading. Also utilize for transport and anti-theft security
- Gas gauge — Indicates amount of gasoline to indicate refueling interval
- Factory warranty — Covers the entire generator for defects in parts and workmanship for three (3) years
- Stylish design —Attractive and practical
- Four wheels with parking brake — Easy transport and security
Highlights | Yamaha EF4500iSE
Low Running And Starting Watts – The Yamaha EF4500iSE only has 4,000 Running watts and 4,500 Starting watts, but you’ve got to remember it’s an inverter generator with all the benefits that come with it.
Video | Overview of the Yamaha EF4500iSE / EF6300iSDE
An Excellent Motor – When you see the name Yamaha it screams excellent motor, but this one is even better. It can run at a much lower speed than other motors to help with things like reduced fuel consumption, reduce vibration, and increased longevity.
It’s Extremely Quiet – One of the other things about inverter generators is the noise level. The Yamaha EF4500iSE is 58-60dB, which is roughly the same as a dishwasher or casual conversation.
Wireless Remote Control – This particular model runs at full load for 7.4 hours, but if you want to stop it early and start it back up again the wireless remote control can do it from 66 feet away.
Easy To Read Meter – The power meter on the inverter generator is easy to read and will tell you exactly how much fuel you have left in the tank before it’s time to top it up again.
Please Note: If we were to talk about all the benefits of these additional generators on this page your head would likely explode. That doesn’t mean they don’t all have a lot more to offer. If you like any particular model you should click on the link so you can read the full description on Amazon.
Learn more about this impressive generator (EF4500iSE) on the Yamaha site.
Yamaha EF6300iSDE | Inverter Generator
Yamaha EF6300iSDE : Run time of 13.3 hours at a constant 1/4 load on just a single tank of gas.
How To Protect Your Dual Fuel Generator?
A generator like the DuroMax XP10000EH is a resilient beast and it’s built to withstand harsh conditions, but don’t forget it’s going to be used for emergencies. This could include things like severe winds, torrential rain, and enough snow to trap you inside for days. In other words, there is only so much of a beating something can take before it breaks.
When you buy a generator you want it to last as long as possible. Of course using it properly and keeping it maintained helps, but there is another solution you’ve maybe never thought of before. You can get a storm shield cover to slide over the top of it while it’s keeping your home up and running. Let’s look at a few benefits of a particularly good one.
Champion Power Equipment 100376 | Storm Shield Generator Cover
- Waterproof cover will protect important parts of generator
- High strength frame rods can withstand 112 km/h winds
- Handles 18 inches of snow and 12 inches of rain per day
- Natural airflow design allows for consistent smooth operation
- Designed to be installed within 3 easy steps
Please Note: You’ll find generator covers like these to fit any model you choose, so don’t worry about the generator you ultimately decide to go for.
Video of the Champion Power Equipment 100376 Storm Shield
Are You Prepared For The Next Natural Disaster?
Do you think you’ll be able to weather the storm when the next natural disaster strikes? If you’re not it could leave you in a lot of trouble. Even if your life isn’t at risk, it’s still one of the most inconvenient things in the world. How long can you last without Wi-Fi reception? Now imagine something a hundred times worse that lasts for hours or days.
Also, don’t forget no matter what generator you buy it’s not just for emergencies. The DuroMax XP10000EH could be used for a huge number of things around your home. Head over to Amazon to read the unbiased reviews from past customers. You’ll find out all the amazing things they do with their generator and how much they love it.