When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. ➥Learn more
The FLIR MR176 offers advanced technology for convenience and reliability when it comes to detecting moisture content. This useful tool is a vital instrument that professionals use in many industries. The infrared thermal moisture meter makes it easier to check for potential problems without causing unnecessary damage or costly measures to find areas where moisture has built up.
The FLIR brand is one that is widely recognized for their high quality. Many professionals that work in various industries such as construction and electrical rely on these products to improve job performance and credibility. Moisture meters serve very valuable in identifying problematic areas in homes and other buildings where there may be trapped moisture in the building material.
Watch this Video of the FLIR MR176 Infrared Moisture Meter
Moisture contained within structures, such as the walls and floors, can lead to a variety of problems for homeowners and business owners alike. If left untreated, trapped moisture can cause structural damage and contributes to mold growth – which can lead to serious health risks. In addition to building contractors, home inspectors and insurance carriers have also implemented the use of moisture meters in their fields. These meters allow them to detect and assess damage that may be used in claims or to alert prospective home buyers.
There are different types of meters that are designed to pick up moisture readings in certain materials. Some models of moisture meters use pins that are inserted into the material being tested (typically wood) to get a reading. Other non-invasive types use infrared technology to pick up moisture readings without having to cause any damage to the surface. These types of meters are most commonly used to test large-scale areas to detect moisture.
The FLIR MR176 is an all-in-one moisture meter with infrared guided measurement (IGM) technology to scan and detect areas where moisture may have accumulated. There’s also an external probe that can be connected to the device for precise readings where moisture has been detected. It has many features and capabilities for optimal flexibility where the job demands it.
Table of Contents...
How Does Infrared Thermal Imaging Work?
With pin-style moisture meters you’re essentially having to guess where there may be trapped moisture to test for readings. This can be quite time-consuming and very invasive given the nature of these types of meters that require direct contact with the surface that contains moisture. Often times, building contractors and other professionals will check common areas where moisture is typically found.
The problem with this practice is it can lead to missed spots that go undetected. Thermal imaging, however, takes the guesswork out of finding those wet spots by scanning to identify moisture below the surface. This same technology has been used for years in forensic investigations and has been steadily gaining popularity and made affordable for use in numerous applications.
The way the infrared imaging works is by picking up certain properties such as cold temperature patterns that are associated with the evaporative cooling effect where moisture is present. This is typically shown on a display using different colors that indicate potential areas that may be problematic.
Video | What is Infrared Guided Measurement (IGM)
One of the features known with many of FLIR’s products is the thermal imaging sensor that is built in. This innovative technology uses an 80 x 60, 4800-pixel Lepton thermal imager which makes it easier to pinpoint problem areas that require further testing by scanning larger areas to pick up cold spots. FLIR has a line of different products specifically featuring infrared guided measurement like the FLIR MR160 imaging moisture meter, the TG167 spot thermal camera, an imaging multimeter, and an Imaging 600A AC/DC clamp meter.
The thermal imaging sensor in these various products is used in the detection of problems such as leaking ducts, or identifying possible electrical issues in wires. The FLIR MR176 has intuitive features with customizable adjustments to the display to identify cold spots using a choice of different color patterns. This makes problem areas easier to spot and helps to keep professionals safe from possible hazards on the job.
Is the FLIR MR 176 Right For You?
The FLIR MR176 moisture meter is just one of many useful tools that provide a portable and durable solution to detect moisture in structures. It also offers some pretty useful applications that can be handy to professionals in different fields to enhance work efficiency. You can adjust the measurements that the device displays and the added flexibility of using the meter with the pinless feature for easy detection or use the external probe to get more precise readings. The probe also has expandable options for greater convenience in different situations. With a heavy-duty pin probe additional materials can be tested for moisture such as brick and concrete.
The pin-based sensor mode offers a selection that lets you choose the specific material wood group you are testing. This helps to give a more accurate reading as the moisture percentages can vary with different types of wood. The internal moisture sensor picks up moisture measurements at a depth up to 19mm. In the Infrared Guided Measurement mode you can see the thermal image and the moisture readings both displayed at once. You can also choose which readings you want displayed if you wish to view the RH, dew point, mixing ratio, and vapor pressure all on one screen.
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the FLIR MR176.
There are many features this infrared moisture meter has to offer that make it an ideal tool to have on the job above others.
- Field Replaceable Temperature and RH Sensor – The sensor that picks up ambient air temperature and relative humidity can be replaced right on the spot with the included replacement so you can work faster without interruption.
- Auto Power Off – To ensure long-lasting use, the FLIR MR176 has an automatic power off feature that will turn off the meter after a predetermined amount of time it’s not in use. This will conserve the battery and prolong use. The battery has a runtime of 18 hours; there’s a battery status icon displayed on the screen so you always know how much operating time you have until needing the recharge. Prior to initial use and after each use the meter should be charged via an AC source or using the USB charger cable.
- Programmable High Moisture Alarm – the meter features an alarm that can be activated to produce an audible and visual alert when moisture readings detected are higher than the limit programmed.
FLIR imaging test and measurement instruments are high quality products you can depend on and backed by their guarantee. The MR176 thermal moisture meter comes with a 2 year/10 year limited warranty. The product parts, not including the thermal imaging sensor, are covered under a 2 year warranty. The thermal imaging sensor is covered under warranty for a period of 10 years.
Tech Specs (FLIR MR176):
- Thermal Imaging Detector : FLIR Lepton microbolometer
- Image Calibration : Automatic with manual lock scale option
- Thermal Image Resolution : 4800 pixels (80 × 60)
- Spectral Response : 8–14 μm
- Field of View : 51° × 38°
- Sensitivity : < 150mK
- Detection Limit (Wet Area Detection @ 32ft (10m): 19.7in2 (49cm2)
- Image Frame Rate : 9 Hz
- Thermal Image Palettes : Iron, Rainbow, Ice, Greyscale
- Minimum Focus Distance : 10 cm (4”)
Learn more about the infrared moisture imager on the FLIR site.
FLIR MR160 Imaging Moisture Meter
The FLIR MR160 is an imaging moisture meter with basic applications for a budget-friendly tool with infrared guided measurement technology. The thermal imaging sensor uses the same technology as the MR176 to pinpoint areas in wood, plaster, sheet rock, and insulation that could be holding moisture. It features pinless measurements and an external probe to get reliable readings for fast, dependable measurements of problematic areas.
By comparison to the MR176, this is a great and essential moisture meter for basic applications in fields that just require moisture measurements. Common features this meter shares with the MR176 include:
- FLIR Letpon 4800-pixel Thermal Image Resolution
- First-ever thermal imaging moisture meter
- 80 x 60 Lepton thermal imager powers IGM technology
- Document thermal images and moisture readings on one screen
- Review images and generate reports with free FLIR Tools software
- Easily investigate insulation and moisture issues
- Pinless technology for fast non-intrusive measurements
- External pin probe included for contact moisture measurements
- Easy targeting with laser pointer and display cross-hairs
- Drop tested rugged design
- Industry-leading warranty
- Small form factor to conveniently carry with you
- Internal rechargeable battery with USB
- Automatic image calibration
- High moisture alarm set
- 2 year/10 year warranty
Video | Watch the Impressiive FLIR MR160 in Action
All FLIR moisture meter tools, including the MR176 and MR160 also come with free professional reporting software for Mac or PC that allow you to capture, view and save thermal images and moisture level reports. Where the job demands the greatest quality and durability, FLIR moisture meters are hard to beat, which is why they’re a trusted brand.