The original Hayward TigerShark is a well-designed robotic pool cleaner that will save you money in the long run, not to mention all the time and labor involved. The Hayward TigerShark QC is designed to do all the dirty work for you and comes in a few different models. For example the Hayward TigerShark Plus (RC9990CUB) has both a 90 minute and three hour cleaning cycle in addition to a convenient remote control. If you want to save some money then stick with the base model TigerShark (W3RC9950CUB), but you won’t have the fast clean mode and the remote. Sorry, you can’t have it all.
If you’re considering a robotic pool cleaner like the TigerShark then you have already decided you don’t want to spend your time cleaning your pool. I feel the same way., It’s a big chore that takes a lot of time and hiring a pool cleaner is also rather expensive. The initial cost of a pool robot will pay for itself over time.
The Hayward TigerShark QC is an investment — engineered with intelligent technology, allowing it to effectively clean your swimming pool in the shortest amount of time possible. When it comes to cleaning your in-ground pool the Hayward TigerShark is much smarter than you are. Sorry, but it’s true — and it doesn’t get tired.
NOTE : The Hayward TigerShark has been redesigned. The technology is the same. The features are the same, but the outer design has been updated for 2016.
I recommend reading the latest updated review of the NEW Hayward TigerShark robot pool cleaner.
Ultimately it’s up to you which model you like best. Whether you buy the new model or the old styling , it’s still one of the best robotic pool cleaners available.
New TigerShark models:
- Hayward RC9990CUB | TigerShark Plus | with Remote Control + 3 hr. clean
- Hayward W3RC9990CUB | Quick Clean | Fast 90 minute clean cycle + 3 hr. clean
- Hayward W3RC9950CUB | Standard Model | 3 hr. clean cycle
Note : The rest of this article focuses on the original TigerShark, which is no longer available. Read our review of the newest version of the TigerShark.
In addition, I recommend at reading our guide in which we look at the best robotic pool cleaners in 2022.
Table of Contents...
- 0.1 I recommend reading the latest updated review of the NEW Hayward TigerShark robot pool cleaner.
- 0.2 Note : The rest of this article focuses on the original TigerShark, which is no longer available. Read our review of the newest version of the TigerShark.
- 1 Review : Hayward TigerShark QC (RC9990GR)
- 2 Hayward Tigershark QC RC9990GR | Troubleshooting Video
The Hayward TigerShark QC has two cleaning programs. The standard cleaning cycle will thoroughly clean your pool in about 3 hours. And the other cleaning cycle is for a 90 minute quick clean — it’s not as thorough but it will scrub your entire pool in 1.5 hours. Is that quick enough for you?
Designed to clean in-ground swimming pools: 20 x 40 feet (or smaller). It’s cord length is 55 feet long. If you have a large pool then perhaps you need a more advanced robotic pool cleaner, such as the: Maytronics Dolphin Sigma — which is designed to clean pools up to 50 feet in length.
The beauty of using the Hayward TigerShark robotic pool cleaner is that all you have to do is plug it in, turn it on, and place it in your pool and you’re done with your work. Really, all you have to do is deploy it. You can go about your day doing whatever you want as it cleans your swimming pool for you.
It will clean your entire pool, including the bottom, sides, waterline and yes, even the steps.
Watch the Hayward TigerShark QC in action. An impressive robotic pool cleaner.
The Hayward TigerShark QC is built with Patented Quick Clean technology that gives it an advantage over many other automatic pool cleaners. It has an impressive on-board pump which sucks up dirt and debris as it travels across your pool ﬂoor, coves, walls and waterline. It uses a 24V motor to power the built-in vacuum.
It has an easy-to-clean Cartridge filter system — Just rinse it with your garden hose to clean. It couldn’t be any simpler. It’s the first robotic pool cleaner to use a reinforced cartridge element.
This is one of the easiest automatic pool cleaners on the market as it requires no hoses or hookups, or additional pumps. It does everything automatically. It runs separately from your in-ground pool filtration system which means less backwashing.
Review : Hayward TigerShark QC (RC9990GR)
The Hayward TigerShark QC (RC9990GR) is a wonderful device that will allow you to easily maintain having a clean pool all-year-round. In the long run it will save you both time and money so consider it an investment. I know, it’s pricey but you have to take a longer view to appreciate the value that you’ll get from it.
If you want a robotic pool cleaner that’s a little cheaper then I will recommend the Dolphin Nautilus for you.
I should also mention that you can also buy the “standard” Hayward TigerShark RC9950GR, BUT it doesn’t have the Quick Clean capabilities. The difference in cost is negligible and therefore it makes no sense to purchase the standard TigerShark model.
The Hayward TigerShark is an excellent pool cleaner. Designed with an innovative cleaning pattern that covers your entire pool – including the bottom, sides, and your waterline.
When the TigerShark has completed it’s three-hour standard cycle cleaning it will automatically shut-off and power down. It calculates the size of your pool, determining the best pattern to use for cleaning and in the end, all that remains is a spotless swimming pool that you and your family can enjoy.
Extra Filter Cartridges
Hayward RCX70101 Replacement Filter Cartridges are available if you need them. The amount of time these filters will last is dependent on how dirty your pool is. If the Hayward TigerShark is repeatedly cleaning things such as: pine needles, leaves, acorns, stems and other small hard debris, then you’ll need to replace your filters more frequently.
The TigerShark uses 2 filter cartridges which is why they are sold as a 2 pack : Hayward RCX70101PAK2
Overall, the Hayward TigerShark is an excellent product that does what it promises to do. It’s an impressive piece of technology that leaves a high majority of customers extremely satisfied. If you have an in-ground swimming pool and you want to keep it consistently clean then this is an excellent investment.
Life is short so why waste your time cleaning your swimming pool. Honestly, who enjoys cleaning their pool. Technology allows us to remove the tedious chores from our lives, so if you can afford it, you should take the plunge and buy one. It will make your life a lot less complicated.
This is a great pool cleaner that I have nothing but praise for it. After buying the Hayward TigerShark QC you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.
Consider getting the Hayward Premium Caddy Cart for moving your TigerShark around and keeping it organized. Scroll to the bottom of this article to learn more.
View or download the following documents:
- MANUAL for the Hayward TigerShark QC.
- BROCHURE for the Hayward TigerShark QC.
- PARTS LIST for the Hayward TigerShark QC.
- Quick Clean technology will clean any shape, size or type of pool.
- Designed for efficiency.
- Perfect for residential pools up to 20′ x 40 feet.
- Includes thorough cleaning cycle option for heavy dirt or debris.
- Energy efficient. Requires no hoses or hookups.
- Cleanup is easy with the patented filter cartridge system. Remove & rinse with a garden hose.
- Standard 3-year limited warranty
- Place in your pool and let it do the work.
Hayward RC9955GR QC | DISCONTINUED
The Hayward RC9955GR QC unit has all of the features of Hayward TigerShark QC RC9990GR except for one thing — it has a wireless remote allowing you to control your robotic pool cleaner from a distance. For example, if the TigerShark gets stuck you can get it moving again easily via the remote or if the TigerShark misses a spot you can direct it to the area that needs an extra cleaning. Or if you want, you can use the remote control to bring the TigerShark to your lounge chair, as you sip on a margarita.
This model is obviously more expensive than the regular model but if you want to have control of your Hayward TigerShark then you might love having the wireless remote. On the other hand, it’s not essential and if you’re on a budget then I wouldn’t recommend buying this package. No point in spending money on something you don’t need.
Ultimately, the choice is yours but you have to honestly ask yourself: How often will I truly use the remote? It reminds me of the old days when everyone bragged about all of the features they had on their VCR but at the end of the day nobody used most of those features. Same issue here, the remote is a nice feature and can be very useful at times but is it worth the extra cost to you?
At lease one person disagrees with me, this person writes:
If I were to buy another robot again, I would get one with a remote so you can quickly get the areas that these things miss. Trust me spend another couple hundred and get one with those capabilities.
So you see, you have decide what works best for you. My goal is to give you as much information as possible so you can make the best decision for yourself.
- Payback in first year of ownership.
- High Porosity Filtering Elements.
- Easy access to debris chamber.
- Advanced Programming. Can scrub tile and climb steps.
- No Additional Equipment needed.
- Place it in the water and plug it in.
- Water cooled motors.
- No chance leaking oil.
Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner
We recently did a full review of the Dolphin Nautilus robotic pool cleaner which is also a great option. It’s less expensive but still does an excellent job of cleaning your pool. If you’re on a budget this will save you some money.
The Dolphin Nautilus is another well-made robotic pool cleaner made by Maytronics, a highly reputable manufacturer. I’ve already written a full review on this model so I will refrain from repeating myself but all you need to know is that it’s excellent at cleaning your pool floor, cove, waterline, and walls. Recommended for in-ground residential pools up to 50 feet long.
Note : The Dolphin Nautilus has been newly redesigned and it’s now even better : Dolphin Nautilus CC (Model : 99996113-US) — with CleverClean technology.
Read the full review if you want all the details, including the new models.
Dolphin Triton Plus | 50 Foot Pool
The Dolphin Triton Plus comes with a remote control and caddy. If you have a larger pool then this might be what you need.
- Scrubs, vacuums and filters all pool surfaces in just 2.5 hours.
- Convenient cartridge filter system that’s easy to clean and includes a spring clean-up option.
- Patented swivel cable helps prevent tangling
- Includes caddy for portability and storage
- Comes with a basic remote for guided steering and cycle selection.
- Incredibly efficient – costs less than 15 cents to clean the pool.
- Plug it in and watch it go.
- Self-programmed for optimal pool scanning.
- Cycle time: 1 or 2.5 hours
- Cable length: 60 ft.
- Filter: Fine porosity
- Suction rate: 4,233 gal (USA) per hour
- Unit weight: 18.75 lbs.
Why strain yourself when you don’t have to? The Hayward Premium Caddy Cart (RC99385) does all of the heavy lifting for you. The Hayward TigerShark QC weighs 41 lbs so it might be a good idea to purchase the caddy cart if you have a long distance to travel when moving your TigerShark to your pool — and then back again when the pool is clean.
This is simply an item of convenience so it’s completely optional but if you’re not particularly fit or strong then it’s probably worth spending the extra money on.
Also, another point to stress is that Hayward Premium Caddy Cart is also a means to neatly organize your TigerShark robotic pool cleaner and its accessories — keeping everything together in one place. Think of it as storage for your TigerShark. It stores your power supply, cord and pool cleaner.
Compatible with the following robotic pool cleaners : Hayward TigerShark, TigerShark2, MakoShark, MakoShark2 and King Shark robotic cleaners.
- Convenient. No more heavy lifting.
- Made from low molded, high density polyethylene. Durable.
- Lightweight at under 16 lbs.
- Large wheels for easy maneuvering.
- Stores power supply, cord and pool cleaner when not in use.
Technical Specs (Hayward Tigershark):
- Work Cycle : 60 minutes/3 hours
- Motor Unit : 24 V/3.5 amps
- Filter Area : 1,000 inches2 unit
- Filter Media Type : 2 fine porosity filter elements
- Filter Porosity : 5 microns
- Weight : 21.5 pounds
- Suction Rate : 75 gallons/minute
- Cord Length : 55 feet
- Moving Parts : Acetal/stainless steel
- Programmed Function : ASCL/adaptive seek control
- Warranty (USA only) : 3-year Limited Warranty
- Calculated Ground Speed : 55 feet/minute
- Power Supply Input Voltage : 110 or 220 VAC 50/60 Hz
- Power Supply Output Voltage : 24 V DC secondary
Hayward Tigershark QC RC9990GR | Troubleshooting Video
Tips for your Hayward TigerShark QC
- Cleaner filter cartridges should be thoroughly cleaned after each use or as often as needed for optimal performance.
- Remove larger items from your pool before using your cleaner. Clean filter frequently when pool is excessively dirty.
- Cleaner may periodically go to the wall but not necessarily climb to the vertical position. This is a normal part of the programmed cycle.
- Cleaner may stop in the middle of the pool and reverse during cleaning cycle. This is a normal part of the programmed cycle.
- DO NOT start cleaner out of the water. Power button should only be switched to “On” position when unit is fully submerged. The unit will automatically shut off, but it is best to put power switch in “OFF” position when unit completes cleaning.
- Only plug into a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) protected 110-120 volt AC outlet (220-240 volt for 240 volt models).
- Place the cleaner power supply so that it is at a minimum distance of 10 feet from the pool edge. The length of the standard cleaner cable is 55 feet.