Learn How to Start a Chainsaw
Before attempting to start your chainsaw make sure you’ve read your owners manual thoroughly as chainsaws may vary in their starting procedure. Also, make sure you’re wearing your safety gear as well. The video above demonstrates how to start a Husqvarna chainsaw but the principles apply across all manufacturers.
Starting a Chainsaw
- Engage the chain brake by pushing forward on your top handle guard (chain brake).
- Set your ignition switch to the “ON” position.
- Turn your choke on, but please read your owners manual as manufacturers will widely vary on the proper choke operation.
- If your chainsaw has a primer pump, this is the point when you use it.
- If your chainsaw has a decompression switch, push it. Essentially, what the decompression switch makes it easy to pull the starter handle by releasing cylinder pressure. Again, check your owners manual.
- Make sure you stabilize the saw. The proper way to do this is by putting your foot through the handle.
- Kneel down, grab the top handle while holding the chainsaw down firmly. If you need to, you can start it standing up.
- Pull the starter cord slowly until you start to feel resistance. Once you feel the resistance pull quickly but hold on to the starter handle and allow it to recoil slowly. Repeat the pulling motion until it starts.
- Turn off your choke and reset the decompression button if your chainsaw has one.
Watch the video by Husqvarna to get a clear picture on how to start a chainsaw:
Videos | How to Start a Chainsaw
This article is not much of an article but I’ve found some excellent videos for you to actually see how to start a chainsaw. Sometimes it’s better to watch videos in order to learn how to do something. I didn’t see the point in writing a lengthy article on starting a chainsaw.
Watching one of these videos will save you a lot of time and frustration when it comes to starting a chainsaw.
How to Start a Husqvarna Chainsaw
How to Start A STIHL Chainsaw
Basic Chainsaw Starting Tips
How to Start an Echo Chainsaw
How to Start a Chainsaw after not using it for many years
How to Start a Ryobi Chainsaw
If you’re looking to find your next chainsaw, you’ll like these articles:
- Cheap Gas Chainsaws
- Best Chainsaw for the Money
- Best GreenWorks Chainsaw | 40V and 80V
- Best Electric Chainsaws
- Best Gas Chainsaw
- Cheap Electric Chainsaws
- Chainsaw Buying Guide for Homeowners
- Best Battery Operated Chainsaws
- Concrete Chainsaws
- Top Handle Chainsaws for Homeowners
- Husqvarna 445
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher
- Poulan Pro 5020AV
- WORX JawSaw
- WORX Chainsaw WG303.1
- Black & Decker Alligator Lopper
- Oregon PowerNow CS1500