As we get older we begin to find news ways to make our lives easier, unfortunately tasks like mowing the lawn still have to get done. Truth is, technology has come a long way and nowadays you can buy self-propelled mowers which are effortless to move through your lawn. This particular feature is similar to how a car works. You have front or rear wheel drive and all you have to do is steer and brake. In this article, I’ve selected several of the best lightweight lawn mowers for the elderly or seniors, or if you have weakness for any type of reason.
There are two distinct features you absolutely want in a lawn mower, the first, I already mentioned — you want a self-propelled mower and second, you need a cordless (battery-powered) mower. The last thing you want is a gas mower as they the heaviest and bulkiest mower types on the market, not to mention they require a lot of maintenance, are noisy to use, and produce polluting fumes. I don’t recommend gas mowers if you’re looking for a lightweight lawn mower.
If you’re elderly you might have the opinion that battery-powered lawn mowers can’t compete with gas mowers, but you’d be wrong. All of the mowers I recommend in this article are high quality and have more than enough power to mow your lawn. Also, because they are all cordless, they are also very lightweight. I promise you, you won’t be disappointed with any of these lightweight mowers for the elderly or seniors. Trust me on this. The most important thing is investing in a lawn mower that’s easy for you to use and maneuver, and because they’re all self-propelled you’ll barely need to exert yourself because the mower will be doing all of the work for you.
Alright, now let’s look at my recommendations for :
Best lightweight Lawn Mowers for the Elderly and Seniors.
Review : 21″ / WORX Nitro WG753 40V / Power Share
- Gas-like power—Worx NITRO™ outdoor tools are engineered to provide gas-like power, performance, and run time.
- Self-propelled lawn mower featuring rear-wheel drive with variable speed control.
- 3-in-1 functionality—Mulch / Bag / Side-Discharge.
- Brushless motors are more efficient, run 50% longer, are 25% more powerful, and have 10% longer life.
- Auto-IntelliCut™ technology automatically adjusts performance to grass conditions.
- Durable, 21 in. steel cutting-deck w/ NutriCut™ dual-stage mulching capabilities.
- Single-lever controls for (7-position) cutting height-adjustments and grass/bag mode change.
- LED lights for visibility in low-light conditions.
- Charge-level indicator provides quick reference to remaining runtime.
- One-touch fully-collapsible handle for compact, stand-up storage.
- Run longer with high-capacity batteries—Worx Power Share™ PRO intelligent batteries deliver extended run times, plus heat and impact protection. Compatible with all Worx 20V and 40V tools, outdoor power, and lifestyle products.
The WORX Nitro WG753 is an excellent choice for the elderly as it comes with a range of practical features at an affordable price. WORX is a great consumer brands that consistently makes affordable home and garden tools that people can afford. This 21″ mower is self-propelled and a rear wheel drive model, making it ultra-easy to push without straining your body. It comes with 2 x 5.0Ah Power Share PRO batteries, which are compatible with all other WORX tools in this line. If you decide on this mower you’ll be able to use these batteries in their other Power Share line of tools, which will save you money in the long run. Most manufacturers offer the same cross-compatibility as they want to entice you invest in all of their products.
I think you’ll be surprised at how competent this little mower is. It has enough power to cut grass up to 4″ deep, with 7 different adjustments from 1.6 in. – 4 inches.
Unlike most cordless mowers, this model has a steel deck making it a little heavier than the other models but unless you’re picking it up off the ground that doesn’t make a difference because it’s self-propelled. The overall weight is 68.4 pounds.
Customer satisfaction is very high with this model so rest assured you’re buying a reliable mower. It’s best suited for smaller yards so if you have a bigger yard then I’d recommend one of the other two models in this article. This is the most affordable option. Ultimately, it’s more expensive to buy a battery-powered lawn mower, but if you want an easy to move mower because you’re elderly, or perhaps you’re buying for someone in your family, well, it’s worth the extra money to buy a cordless model. I can’t stress that point enough. Sorry, I keep repeating myself but it’s my job to recommend the right product for your particular need, not the cheapest. If you want a cheap mower then you can find a long list by sorting by price on Amazon.
Review : 18″ / Makita XML06PT1 36V (18V X2) LXT
Best lightweight lawn mower for the elderly or seniors.
- No gas, emissions, oil mixing or pull starts with reduced maintenance and low noise levels
- Self-propelled with variable speed (1.5 MPH – 3 MPH)
- 4 bay battery system for 2 times more run time
- Powered by (2) 18V LXT® batteries with the option to insert (2) additional batteries for extended run time
- Commercial-grade steel deck
- 2-in-1 design allows for mulching or bagging
- Brushless motor delivers up to 3,300 RPM for faster cutting
- Quiet mode reduces noise by providing constant speed control at 2,500 RPM
- Single lever quickly adjusts cutting height (1-1/4” – 4”)
- Grass catcher bag holds up to 1.7 bushels of grass
- Rubberized soft grip handle bar for added comfort
- IPX4 weather-resistant construction for durability and long life
- Features Extreme Protection Technology (XPT™) which is engineered to provide increased dust and water resistance in harsh job site conditions
- Equipped with Star Protection Computer Controls™ to protect against overloading, over-discharging and over-heating
- 3-year limited warranty on tool, battery and charger
- Weight : 85.6 lbs (with batteries)
If you want the highest quality and longest running mower then look no further than this Makita XML06PT1. This model is an exceptional mower because it adheres to Makita’s high standards, including things like sealed ball bearings in the wheels. I know, not a big deal, but every inch of the design is well thought out.
This is model has the narrowest cutting width at only 18-inches, making it a little easier to move through tight spaces. It’s a good compact width which some people prefer.
The one feature that sets it apart from all other mowers is that it holds 4 batteries on the mower so when the initial two batteries run out of power it automatically taps into the the second set of batteries, enabling this mower to cut grass for two miles non-stop. That’s directly from Makita. In other words, this cordless Makita mower will cut the biggest lawns without ever having to recharge. Oh, I forgot to mention that you get 4 batteries with your purchase, so you get two full sets of battery power. These are basically a bonus, and batteries are expensive.
I personally love Makita because everything they make is exceptional. This is also self-propelled, making it ideal for the elderly. And, this also has a steel deck, making it more durable than a plastic model. It’s speed range is 1.5 mph to 3 mph, allowing you the freedom to choose how fast you want to mow.
Another unique feature is that it has a quiet mode, which locks the RPM at 2500. You won’t find this feature in other lawn mowers and it’s a nice to have if you decide you want to mow your lawn at 6am when your neighbors are still sleeping.
It comes with a bag that can hold 1.7 bushels of grass and soft grip handles made of rubber to make your comfort a little better.
Another unique feature is that it incorporates Makita’s XPT (extreme protection technology) to increase its overall dust and water resistance. The engineers at Makita only make high quality products, which is also why their products are more expensive. If you’re looking for a basic mower then this model is probably not for you but if you want the best then I’d have to put this cordless Makita mower the best you can buy. The only flaw is the price, but quality costs money.
Review : 21″ / EGO Power+ LM2142SP / 56V
- PeakPower technology allows for combined power of any 2 EGO ARC Lithium batteries
- Up to 80 minutes of run time on single charge with two included 56V 5.0 Ah ARC Lithium™ batteries
- High-efficiency Brushless motor
- Adjustable self-propel speed .9 MPH – 3.1 MPH
- 6-position cutting height adjustments: 1.5″- 4″
- 3-in-1 function: mulching, bagging, side discharge
- Quick and easy Push-button start
- 21″ deck
- Bright LED headlights
- 1-handed height adjustment
- Weather Resistant Construction
- Folds for Compact Storage
- Easy-access 2-bushel grass collection bag
- 50 minute individual charge time per each of the included 5.0 Ah ARC Lithium battery and Power+ Rapid Charger
- Compatible with all EGO 56V ARC Lithium™ batteries
- 5-Year Tool Warranty, 3-Year Battery Warranty
Another self-propelled model making it a great choice if your senior or elderly. One of the nice features that you’ll appreciate is the variable speed is between : 0.9 MPH – 3. 1 MPH. This model can be set to go as low as .9 mph, compare that to Makita’s minimum of 1.5 mph. This is another excellent 56V mower from EGO. This is another excellent brand that you may or may not have heard of.
This EGO 56V mower can run up to 80 minutes on a full charge, which is quite high. It uses EGO’s latest ARC Lithium batteries. You can buy the mower with or without batteries, so if you were someone who already has an EGO tool with ARC Lithium batteries then this lawn mower would make the most financial sense for you. But, if you’re not invested in any particular brand of power tools yet then this EGO cordless mower is an excellent option. It has a range of cutting height from : 1.5″- 4-inches. Most cordless mowers stop at around 4″ because of the limits of battery technology. Gas mowers will always have more power but if you maintain a reasonable lawn height a well-made cordless mower will be perfectly fine for your yard
Final Thoughts / Choosing the right Mower if you’re elderly
What’s the best lightweight mower if you’re elderly or a senior? Well, it depends on many factors. Think about these things before making a final decision :
- What’s your budget? How much can your realistically afford?
- What do you really need? Buy the mower that’s right for your lawn and has the features you care about.
- Do you own batteries from an existing brand? Consider a mower that will enable you to use your existing batteries to save money.
- How long do you need the mower to operate? Consider a second set of batteries.
Battery-powered mowers today are almost as good as gas. A lot of people hold on to their limiting beliefs because they grew up with a gas lawn mower, as I did, and find it hard to believe that a cordless mower will be good enough. Truth is, technology has come a long way. Hey, we have electric cars now so it’s not too hard to believe that companies can make powerful cordless mowers. The right choice for you is a self-propelled cordless mower. If you decide to purchase one of these models, or similar, I’d love to hear what you think so I can share your experience with my audience.
Thanks for reading and good luck on your hunt for the right mower.