The Snow Joe iOn18SB is the perfect snow blower for homeowners who don’t like to wrestle with electrical cords or hate the maintenance and upkeep of owning a gas snow blower. It’s a 40V battery powered blower, which is very unique because most snow blowers are either electric or gas powered.
The Snow Joe iON was introduced in 2013 and has been been winning awards and rave reviews ever since.
The Snow Joe iOn18SB is super lightweight at only 32lbs making it easy for anyone to push around and maneuver around. If you have a small area around your home to clear of snow then this would be an excellent choice. The battery lasts up to 50 minutes so that should give you plenty of time to clear snow — unless you have a large area to clear. You can always buy a second battery, but they aren’t cheap.
Table of Contents...
- 0.1 Winter is Coming!
- 0.2 It’s the Little Things that Count
- 0.3 What’s in the box?
- 0.4 Goodbye Snow
- 0.5 It’s Almost Silent When Running
- 0.6 It’s 100% Battery-Powered
- 0.7 It’s Powerful
- 0.8 You Won’t Harm The Environment
- 0.9 Throwing The Snow Away
- 0.10 Playing Outside At Night
- 0.11 Suitable for Anyone
- 0.12 The Unpredictable Winter
- 0.13 Is the Snow Joe iON18SB for You?
- 0.14 Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO | 21″ Snow Blower
- 0.15 Battery Info
- 1 Electric Snow Joe Snow Blowers
- 2 Snow Joe SJ625E | Electric Snow Blower
- 3 Snow Joe 324E | Electric Snow Shovel
- 4 Extras | Snow Joe iON18SB
Hello, Snow Joe iOn18SB!
You won’t need a snow blower when walking through the forest, but the suburbs are a different story.
The Snow Joe iON comes in two different models:
Meet the Snow Joe iOn18SB. It will make those unpredictable snow storms fun and easy to tackle. OK, maybe it won’t be entirely fun but it’ll be as effortless as possible. A battery-powered snow blower is rare because it takes a lot of power to clear and throw snow but Snow Joe seems to have invented an efficient 40V snow blower that will probably surprise you with how much snow it can clear.
Made by Snow Joe, a highly-reputable company founded in 2004. They launched the company with a single tool — an easy to use electric snow shovel for less than $100. It was the origin of the Snow Joe 324E, which I imagine has evolved over the years.
The company owns two distinct brands: Snow Joe and Sun Joe.
Before we get into the heart of the article watch the video of the impressive snow clearing by the Snow Joe iON18SB.
Winter is Coming!
Winter may already be here when you read this, but as of the moment I’m writing this, winter is around the corner.
It’s important to determine what you need and what you value most in a snow blower. This article will cover all the details you need to decide if this is the right snow blower for you. If you want a gas or electric snow blower then I suggest reading our in-depth article on snow blowers. You have options, so don’t despair if you’re still unsure what’s the best snow blower for your needs.
We do the research so you don’t have to.
Winter Snow — What Childhood Dreams are Made Of.
It’s easy to dread winter these days, but can you remember how you felt when you were a child?
You would open your door in the morning and realize the entire neighborhood was buried under a foot of snow. Instead of wondering how you would reach the end of the garden path without slipping and landing on your face, you would run at full speed and mark your territory with as many footprints as possible before anyone else had a chance to ruin the smooth blanket of snow.
Then you would throw snowballs at anyone who dared to walk past you, until finally reality would get in your way. The snow would have to be taken care of before someone got hurt, so your dad would make you fetch the shovel from the garden shed and you would be forced to spend the next few hours clearing the paths and driveway around your home. I know I learned a valuable lesson while working hard for my pocket money, and I’m sure you did too.
When winter comes you’ll want the Snow Joe iOn18SB on your side. Another advantage of this snow blower is that’s quiet. It won’t drive you or your neighbors crazy when you clear snow in the early morning or late evening.
It’s the Little Things that Count
View or download the MANUAL for the Snow Joe iOn18SB.
- Lightweight design (only 32 lbs) to easily clear sidewalks, driveways and decks
- 40 V 4.0 Ah EcoSharp rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 50 minutes of whisper-quiet run time
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords
- Steel auger with 2 rubber blades moves up to 500 lbs of snow per minute; cuts a path 18 in. wide by 8 in. deep without damaging surface
- 180° auto-rotate directional chute throws snow up to 20 ft
- 3 W LED headlight provides increased visibility for nighttime snow removal
- ETL approved; Full 2 year warranty; Energy Star certified
- Lightweight design (only 32 lbs) to easily clear sidewalks, driveways and decks.
- lithium-ion battery provides up to 50 minutes of whisper-quiet run time.
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords.
- Steel auger with 2 rubber blades moves up to 495 lbs of snow per minute; cuts a path 18 in. wide by 8 in. deep without damaging surface.
- 180° auto-rotate directional chute throws snow up to 20 ft.
What’s in the box?
You get: Cordless snow blower, 40V EcoSharp battery, EcoSharp battery charger, Safety key, Manual.
- Battery Voltage — 40 V ~ 4 Ah
- Charging Time — 2.5 – 3 hours
- No Load Speed — 2,500 rpm
- Clearing Width — 18 in. (45.7 cm)
- Depth of Snow Cut — 8 in. (20.3 cm)
- Throwing Distance (Max) — 20 ft (6 m)
- Plowing Capacity (Max) — 495 lbs/min (225 kg/min)
- Directional Control — 180º auto-rotate chute
- LED Light — 3 watt
- Weight (with battery installed) — 31.5 lbs (14.3 kg)
Video | Snow Joe iON18SB : Battery Snow Blower
Once you get older and buy your own home, everything changes. Snow doesn’t have as much appeal as it used to, and as soon as you walk outside and you can’t see the path your first thought is to clear everything up straight away. It doesn’t even matter if you don’t have your own children to do all the work for you, because times have changed and the once trusty snow shovel is almost as redundant as your old VHS recorder.
Snow blowers have taken the world by storm, and they will make your life a hundred times easier. Now you will be able to smile when you open your door and come face-to-face with a scene from a winter disaster movie, because you know it will take you 15 minutes to clear your paths, driveway, and even your patio once you’ve fetched your snow blower from the shed.
Don’t get carried away yet, as you need to know something very important. Just like beer and cars, not all snow blowers are created equal. Some of them are actually more hassle than they’re worth, and they’re becoming almost as redundant as shovels. Today I’d like to talk to you about the Snow Joe iOn18SB, which happens to be one of the best snow blowers currently available on the market. We’re going to look in detail at all the reasons why you must own one.
VIDEO | A Closer Look Snow Joe iOn18SB
One of the best things about snow shovels is the fact they’re very light. Sure, they certainly don’t feel light when you’re shoveling snow and you’ll still destroy your back using one unless you’re a bodybuilder, but when you pick it up you won’t feel like you’re going to fall over. You can’t say the same thing about old school snow blowers, and if you have a raised patio in your garden the only way you’ll be able to get it up is by building a ramp and dragging it as hard as you can.
The Snow Joe iON18SB weighs a whopping 32lbs, so you’ll be able to throw it around using a couple of fingers. The lightweight design also means it’s much more manageable when you’re maneuvering it around, and it won’t start dragging you in different directions. You’ll be in full control the entire time, from the moment you drag it out of your shed until you’re ready to stow it away. Even if you’re dealing with a larger amount of snow than you’d like, it’s not going to punish you unlike some snow blowers do.
It’s Almost Silent When Running
If there is one thing I hate, it’s noisy neighbors mowing their lawn at the weekend when I’m trying to sleep. I doubt they’re trying to wake me up on purpose, but their lawn mower is so noisy there is no way it’s impossible to ignore the noise. It’s even worse in winter if they’re using a terrible snow blower every other day, which isn’t uncommon because no matter what they say about global warming the snow storms seem to get worse every year.
Your neighbors will love you as soon as you start using the Snow Joe iON18SB, because it’s almost silent and you won’t wake anyone up when you’re clearing the snow. While you’re taking care of business you’ll even be able to hear yourself think. Everyone will likely be envious of you when they watch you at work, and they’ll know when it’s their turn to clear up their home the snow blower they use won’t afford them the same benefits.
It’s 100% Battery-Powered
Even though you’ll now have lots of fun clearing the snow from your home, you still want to finish the job as quickly as possible. I know from experience, using a snow blower with a power cord will take you twice as long because you’ll have to stop every minute to move it out of the way. It’s almost as frustrating as using a vacuum cleaner, except you’re outside and you won’t be able to feel your poor fingers as time goes on. The Snow Joe iON18SB is a battery-powered cordless snow blower, so you can say goodbye to frozen fingers from now on.
Considering how much snow it can displace it is easy to assume the battery won’t last long, but when it’s fully charged it will keep going for almost 50 minutes. Unless you live in a mansion or you want to clear the snow from your entire neighborhood, it will last long enough for you to clear your paths for days on end. When you need to charge the battery you can bring it indoors and charge it from the comfort of your own home, and it takes around an hour until it’s ready to go again.
Let’s imagine you didn’t have the snow blower sitting in your shed, which means you would have to resort to using your battered and rusty snow shovel. And you can’t just tell yourself you would go out and buy one, because they’re very popular and once the snow strikes with a vengeance they’ll all be sold out. How many pounds of snow do you think you can get rid of every minute? If you had the power of Hercules, I still think you’d be lucky to hit one hundred pounds.
Your Snow Joe will be able to displace a whopping 495lbs of snow per minute, and it won’t get tired and slow down like you would with a snow shovel. The steel auger with 2 rubber blades will also go 18 inches wide and 8 inches deep, so it’s very unlikely you’ll need to keep going back and forth multiple times. Something so powerful should cause some serious damage, but the iON18SB will leave everything underneath it intact.
You Won’t Harm The Environment
It might feel like Mother Nature hates you because the snow storms she unleashes can be severe, but it’s still important we do our best to look after the environment in any way we can. I don’t know how good a job you’re doing of that at the moment, but if you use the Snow Joe iON18SB it’s a step in the right direction. That is because you won’t have to fill it up with gas, and you’ll not be releasing any harmful emissions into the air.
You also won’t be breathing them in, so you’ll be taking care of your health at the same time. Do you know what else you’ll be saved from now that you can use a snow blower that doesn’t use gas? You won’t have to waste any time pulling on cords and kicking your Snow Joe as hard as possible when it refuses to start. I did say you’ll be taking care of your health, which includes no broken toes.
Throwing The Snow Away
Unfortunately you can’t make snow disappear into thin air unless you’re an experienced magician, which means it will have to go somewhere. Ideally you want the snow to land where it’s not going to get in your way. You’d feel pretty foolish if it landed directly in front of where you were going and you needed to move it more than once. You might be able to guarantee the snow lands on your grass when you thrown it away with a shovel, but the Snow Joe iON18SB is just as good.
The 180-degree auto-rotate directional chute will not only allow you to send the snow up to 20ft away, but you’ll also be able to choose the exact direction it goes in. It means you won’t have angry neighbors knocking on your door because you’ve doubled their workload, and it definitely won’t land in any areas you’ve still to clear. It also makes the process more enjoyable watching snow getting blasted off into the distance on a cold and uneventful winter morning.
Playing Outside At Night
The best thing about winter has to be Christmas, and that is because Santa Claus will come with lots of presents. Luckily for Santa, he has flying reindeer’s and they can easily land on your roof. It will take him a few minutes to squeeze down your chimney, so he won’t need to trudge through the snow if there is no clear access to your home. Other people aren’t so lucky, and you can’t expect them to climb down your chimney when they want to pay you a visit.
Fortunately the Snow Joe iON18SB has an LED light, which means you’ll be able to clear your path in the dark if it snows heavily while you’re at work. We all know it doesn’t brighten up until later in the morning during the darkest months of the year, so you’ll be able to clear snow away if you wake up really early too. You might think the light won’t come in handy, but you’ll be surprised and you’ll be glad you don’t need to walk around with a flashlight when the time comes.
Suitable for Anyone
If you’re not used to playing around with heavy machinery, the thought of owning a snow blower might seem daunting even though it’s very light. Single mothers with small children could easily be scared away due to the sheer size of it. Older people might decide to stay indoors instead of trying to move a huge amount of snow from the outside of their home. Even smaller guys who are used to sitting in front of a computer all day would be forgiven for thinking it’s too much to handle.
But the truth is, the Snow Joe iON18SB really is suitable for anyone. Obviously you wouldn’t let young kids loose with the snow blower, but it’s perfect for anyone else. If you do have young kids, you can still send them out with the snow shovel and laugh at them from the window. If you were forced to do it when you were young, you might decide they need to learn a valuable life lesson. But once you start to feel sorry for them, you can go out and finish the job in minutes.
The Unpredictable Winter
We’re approaching the end of summer and it’s not coming back, at least not for a very long time. Think about all the snow you’re going to see before you’re able to sunbathe again. As we mentioned earlier, the weather is completely unpredictable and you could easily end up with snow covering your home at any moment. You don’t get to decide when it will strike, but you do get to decide whether or not you’ll be prepared for the inevitable.
I wouldn’t worry too much if you don’t feel like the Snow Joe iON18SB is for you. If for some reason you feel like something different, you should check out the SJ625E and SJ620 models (more info below). Snow Joe will be able to satisfy your needs whatever they may be.
Promise me one thing — no matter what happens you should stay away from your old snow shovel, because if it doesn’t break your back it will certainly break your soul. Battery snow blowers are the future, so get ahead of the game and embrace the benefits of modern technology.
One step up from a traditional snow shovel is a snow shovel with wheels. But, I recommend a light-duty snow blower over a shovel. I’m an advocate for using tools that save you time and free you from doing repetitive laborious tasks. You can never get your wasted time back. And money, well, you can always make more if you’re smart.
Is the Snow Joe iON18SB for You?
This battery snow blower by Snow Joe is fantastic at handling snow up to 8″ in one pass, especially light fluffy snow. It will bog down a bit when up against heavy, slushy or compacted snow, which also puts a bigger drain on the battery. For deeper snow, you’ll have to go over the area multiple times, depending on the depth and nature of the snow.
For example, for one foot of snow, you will have to do 2 passes of the same area for proper clearing. Ideally, you won’t allow the snow to build up too high or freeze. Don’t expect this snow blower to clear 3 feet of snow. Be realistic. Every tool has its limitations.
If you live in an area where you expect multiple feet of snow fall and expect to clear the snow in one pass then you’ll need a heavy duty two-stage snow blower. Buy the right tool for the job. But, for the majority of homeowners who are willing to give up a little power for the convenience of a battery snow blower then this is the perfect blower for you.
Overall, this is an impressive machine. It costs more than an electric snow blower due to the cost of the battery but you pay for the freedom that a clean battery tool provides. You can’t have everything. You just have to decide what’s most important to you.
The battery will last you (on average) about 40 minutes so keep that in mind. The harder you push the Snow Joe iON18SB the quicker the battery will drain. That’s just the way batteries operate. Their juice is limited. If you have a large area to clear then I highly recommend a second battery. Each battery takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to fully charge.
I’ve written extensively about the Snow Joe iON18SB in the article: Best Single Stage Snow Thrower. I think this is an excellent product for homeowners. Let’s be honest, most homeowners don’t want to deal with the hassle of extension cords or the fumes and maintenance of a gas snow blower. Not only do you get an excellent performing snow blower but you also get a very easy-to-use battery snow blower that can tackle a quite a lot of snowfall.
If you want options for heavy duty (2-Stage) snow blowers, see the very end of this article.
Read more about what customers say. Don’t listen to me. Trust the majority.
Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO | 21″ Snow Blower
The Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO is essentially the same model as the Snow Joe iOn18SB. The main differences are:
- Wider 21-Inches snow clearing width.
- Bigger 5.0 Ah battery (lasts about an hour).
If you have a large driveway and walkway then this is the better option as you’ll be able to get more snow clearing done in less time. All of the features are the same. Overall, this is an excellent battery powered snow blower that will get you through the winter.
The ideal snow clearing depth is 8-inches for this machine. If you live in an area that typically gets over 8-inches of snow then you should probably consider a two-stage snow blower.
View or download the MANUAL for the Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO.
- Lightweight design (only 36 lbs) to easily clear large driveways and walkways.
- 40 V 5.0 Ah EcoSharp PRO rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 65 minutes of whisper-quiet runtime and is compatible with all iON tools.
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords.
- Steel auger with 2 rubber blades moves up to 660 lbs of snow per minute; cuts a path 21 in. wide by 8 in. deep without damaging surface.
- 180° auto-rotate directional chute throws snow up to 20 feet.
- 3 W LED headlight provides increased visibility for nighttime snow removal.
- Powerful 600 W brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance, decreases noise and vibration and extends motor life.
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty; Includes battery and charger (Energy Star certified).
Extra Width for Faster Snow Clearing.
Consider and Extra Battery for Increased Work Time
Read the manual for more details.
The battery pack is equipped with a push button for checking the charge level. Simply press the push button to read off the battery charge level from the LEDs of the battery indicator.
EcoSharp PRO iBAT40XR lithium-ion battery packs maintain their charge during storage longer than other battery pack types. As a general practice, it is best to unplug the battery charger and remove the battery pack when they are not in use. Recharge the battery pack every 6 months to 50% capacity (2 lights on) during off-season storage to maintain optimal battery performance.
- Battery Voltage*: 40 V D.C.
- Battery Capacity :5.0 Ah
- Charging Time: 3 – 3.5 hours (for full charge)
- Battery Run Time (Max): 65 mins
- No Load Speed: 1750 ± 10% rpm
- Rotor Steel auger with 2 rubber blades
- Motor :Brushless
- Clearing Width :21 in. (53 cm)
- Depth of Snow Cut: 8 in. (20 cm)
- Throw Distance (Max) : 20 ft (6 m)
- Plowing Capacity (Max): 660 lbs/min (300 kg/min)
- Type of Snow: Light, fluffy
- Tire Size: 8 in. (20 cm)
- Directional Control: 180º auto-rotate chute
- LED Light: 3 watt
- Weight (snow blower alone): 33.4 lbs (15.1 kg)
- Weight (snow blower with battery installed) : 36 lbs (16.3 kg)
VIDEO REVIEW | Snow Joe iON18SB:
Electric Snow Joe Snow Blowers
Here are a few electric snow blowers from Snow Joe. These are all excellent products with very high customer satisfaction. Take your pick — you won’t be disappointed.
Snow Joe SJ621 | Electric Snow Blower
This model also comes as a more powerful 15-Amp model: Snow Joe SJ623E Ultra Electric Snow Thrower.
- Instant start.
- Easy push button switch.
- 180° adjustable chute.
- Chute deflector controls height of snow stream.
- 20-Watt halogen light.
- Scraper clears to the pavement.
- 13.5 Amp motor moves up to 650 lbs. of snow per minute.
- 4 steel blade rotor throws snow up to 20 ft.
- Cuts up to 18 in. wide and 10 in. deep in 1 pass.
- Convenient, compact shape.
- Compact wheels for easy maneuverability.
- Maintenance free.
Snow Joe SJ625E | Electric Snow Blower
- Powerful 15 Amp motor moves up to 900 lbs. of snow per minute.
- Ideal for clearing snow off mid-to-large sized drive ways and walkways.
- No gas, oil or tune ups make it effortless to start and maintain.
- Steel auger with 2 rubber blades.
- Cuts 21 in. wide x 11.8 in. deep with each pass.
- 180º adjustable directional chutes throw snow up to 30 ft.
- 3-Watt LED headlight to clear paths day or night.
- All terrain wheels for easy maneuverability.
Snow Joe iON13SS | 40V Battery Snow Shovel
This is a great electric snow shovel by Snow Joe that’s ideal for light-duty snow clearing or for tight spaces like your patio or walkway. Convenient, compact and easy to use. Capable of clearing snow 13-inches wide by 6-inches deep.
- 40V 13-inch cordless snow shovel.
- Quick, easy and CORD-FREE snow pickups on decks, steps, patios and sidewalks.
- grab-n-go snow-busting tool.
- EcoSharp technology: Delivers up to 52 minutes of whisper-quiet run-time.
- No pull-cords, gas, oil, tune-ups or tangled extension cords.
- 500W brushless motor maximizes battery life. Less noise and vibration.
- Push button start.
- Compact and lightweight: Can be stored neatly inside a hall closet.
- Heavy-duty, 2-blade paddle auger. Throws snow up to 25 feet.
- clears a path 13-inches wide by 6-inches deep with each pass.
- Scraper bar at the base of the unit lets you clear right to the ground without damaging your deck or pavement.
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty; Energy Star certified.
Snow Joe 324E | Electric Snow Shovel
- Instant start.
- Key lock prevents unauthorized use.
- Adjustable handle.
- Ergonomic design makes it easy to use.
- 2-year warranty.
- 2-Watt LED light so you can see in the dark.
- Best use: decks, steps and walkways
- Clearing width: 12″
- Depth of snow cut: 6″
- Maximum throw distance: 20 ft.
Extras | Snow Joe iON18SB
The Snow Joe iBAT40 | Battery Facts
- The lithium-ion battery pack for the Snow Joe iON18SB does not develop memory effects when charged after only a partial discharge. You don’t need to run down the battery before placing it into the charger.
- The fuel gauge will tell you how much battery power remains. No need to guess when to charge your Snow Joe iBAT40 lithium-ion battery pack.
- You can “top-up” your battery charge at any point in its cycle. It won’t hurt the battery in any way. Make sure you keep your battery charged because you never know when a winter storm will cover your neighborhood.
Snow Blower Safety Tips
YakTrax Pro : Traction Cleats for snow and ice
Keep work area clean and well lit – Cluttered, dark areas invite accidents.
Keep bystanders away – All bystanders and pets should be kept a safe distance away from the work area.
Dress properly – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can get caught in moving parts. Protective rubber gloves and non-slip footwear are recommended when working outdoors.
Use the right product – Do not use this machine for any job except that for which it is intended.
CAUTION! – Exercise caution to avoid slipping or falling. Wear protective footwear that will protect your feet and improve your footing on slippery surfaces.
Use safety glasses – Also use safety footwear, snug-fitting clothing, protective gloves, hearing and head protection.
Do not force the snow blower – Use the snow blower at the rate for which it was designed to ensure optimal performance and safe operation.
Stay alert – Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate the snow blower when you are tired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Do not overreach – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
Store indoors – When not in use, the snow blower should be kept dry and stored out of the reach of children in a high or locked place.
Maintain snow blower with care – Follow instructions for lubricating and changing accessories.
Surfaces – This snow blower is intended for use on paved surfaces. Do not use on gravel, stone or other unpaved surfaces unless the snow blower is adjusted for such surfaces according to the instructions given in the operator’s manual.
Moving parts present risks – Keep your face, hair, clothing, hands, and feet away from moving parts. All guards and safety attachments must be installed properly before using the unit. Shut off and disconnect the battery before touching any parts other than the handles and switch.
Avoid unintentional starting – Make sure the safety switch and the switch bar lever are in the off position before inserting the battery in the unit. Do not carry the snow blower with the safety switch and the switch bar lever
Do not overreach – Maintain proper footing and balance at all times. Place heels firmly on the ground and tightly grasp the handle bar. Watch for uneven surfaces and do not overreach. In case you fall or collide with the snow blower, inspect the unit for any damages or cracks. When stepping backwards, be careful to avoid obstacles beneath your feet or behind you to avoid falling.