If you’re looking for a Step2 Workbench I’m happy to say that you’ve come to the right place. We cover three wonderful Step2 Workbenches that will enthrall your child with an inspiring play area, and, while they’re having fun they will also be improving their developmental abilities.
We cover the following toy tool workbenches in this article:
Far too many kids are spending time in front of electronic gadgets and I personally feel that we need to encourage kids to play with their hands and explore their potential in the physical world — not the sedentary virtual world. As a parent it’s your responsibility to make good choices for your child and supply them with toys that stimulate their critical thinking abilities while encouraging them to move.
Either of these Step2 Workbenches is a good choice and they all provide meaningful experiences for your developing child. I honestly have nothing but positive things to say about these toy tool benches. They are all very well made, as all Step2 products are, and they’re designed with high safety standards as well.
If you’re curious about other kids tool benches available then I recommend reading: Best Toddler Workbenches.
Real Projects Workshop | Step2 Workbench
The Step2 Workbench is a wonderful gift for any child — boy or girl. It’s packed with captivating features that your child will love. We tell you everything you need to know about the Step2 Workbench but before we get into the heart of this article, here’s an overview of all the main features of this toy tool workshop.
Give your child their own space to build, learn, create, develop while providing them with meaningful a toy that brings them fun and joy for years to come. It’s made in the USA, something you don’t see much anymore.
- Sturdy table with “wood grain” legs has built-in spring-action vise, pull-out storage bin and top and bottom shelves to place toy tools and keep your play room neat and organized
- Work surface features holes to accommodate screws, recesses for tool storage and an adjustable angle-finder
- Battery-operated power drill with realistic sounds has interchange-able drill bits
- Blueprint woodworking plans are conveniently displayed to stimulate a child’s imagination as they look at the design ideas of a birdhouse, airplane, boat and tool caddy
- Unique realistic-looking “wood” is made from Durafoam pieces assemble together easily and allow children to build creations with unlimited imagination
- Includes 65-piece accessory set
- Requires two “AA” batteries (not included)
- Minimal adult assembly required
- Accessory set and vise made in China. Foam “wood” made in Taiwan.
Let the Fun Begin | Step2 Workbench
In a world that has become so dependent on tech and fancy gadgets, it’s nice to see timeless toys that are still popular among children without the need for all the extra bells and whistles. The Step2 Workbench is a great example of the classic toys kids actually need to help encourage essential motor development.
Kids learn through hands-on play and no, touchscreens do not count! The art of encouraging young minds to learn is through imaginative play that allows them to be creative. The Real Projects Workshop by Step2 has several components that provide this imaginative play ideal for toddlers and preschoolers.
One way kids learn is through imitation, so when junior sees daddy fixing things around the house or working in the garage he can have a workbench that is all his own. It’s the ideal height for little ones and gives them their own special work place that is much safer than the garage, giving moms better peace of mind. The drill makes sounds and has interchangeable bits and forward/reverse modes just like a real drill. It’s also the ONLY component on the entire toy that requires batteries. In addition to the drill, there are other realistic features like the adjustable angle finder that puts active imaginations to work.
Fun Design | Step2 Workbench
Likewise, the workbench invites toddlers to the concept of constructing things who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity. Children that may not be familiar with the art of carpentry can gain the experience through putting their skills to the test, building a desire to construct things in their own way.
There are so many little activities that little ones can do on this workbench that can encourage problem solving skills. For instance, the holes throughout the bench and the pieces are made to accommodate the screws that are included. This allows little ones to assemble and disassemble various projects. The screws, spring-action vice, and other tools that come with the bench are the perfect size for little hands to grasp and operate. These fine motor building skills will help your child gain the ability to become more independent and accomplish other tasks as well.
With the many pieces and parts that come with the bench there is also plenty of storage options. As any parent with a toddler knows, keeping toys confined can be a real challenge. Luckily, the makers of the Step2 workshop kept this in mind for parents. The pull out drawer and the storage bin underneath the workbench make the 65 pieces easier to organize and keep them off the floor. Furthermore, they are easily accessible for little ones so they have everything on hand needed to create their own masterpieces.
Walk down the toy aisle of nearly any store and you’ll see plenty of interactive toys like play kitchens and play houses that are aimed more towards girls; however, the options for boys are slim pickings. This Real Projects Workshop, on the other hand, gives moms of boys a chance to give them a toy that encourages hands-on activity through similar life-like hobbies. That’s not to say that girls can’t enjoy this toy too. It’s suitable for boys and girls alike, ages three and up so it actually has the ability to grow with them and last from one child to the next.
With three children under the age of 10 in our household, I can honestly say this toy is just as much fun for my daughter as it is for my boys.
It would make a great addition in any home with multiple children for stimulating play that promotes development. The pieces are made to look like wood, but are actually made out of a foam material adding a desirable factor for sensory play. They are ideal in assisting children build hand-eye coordination which is another valuable skill they will need in life that can’t be gained through playing on a mobile device.
There are several design ideas that are suggested on the ‘blueprint plan’ which demonstrates how to assemble things like a birdhouse or a handy tool caddy. For younger children, assistance may be needed with the help of the manual that comes with it which gives further instruction on how to assemble these. Personally, I feel it’s more motivating to let children come up with their own designs. Young children can also develop a sense of self-worth and confidence by taking pride from their accomplishments.
The foam pieces interlock with each other so there are endless possibilities, adding to the versatility this work bench has to offer. It’s simple, yet still has plenty to offer in engaging play for kids.
What’s really nice about this workbench is that it has a small footprint that is more practical for smaller living quarters like apartments, in comparison to other models. The product dimensions are 35 1/8 inches in height, 22 3/4 inches in width, and 14 1/2 inches in depth when fully assembled. On that note, parents will also appreciate the minimal assembly that is required to set it up for a well thought-out design. It’s fairly lightweight (approximately 14 1/2 pounds) so it can easily be moved from room to room or outdoors.
Kids are rough on toys, especially little boys, so the fact that Step2 manufactures durable toys that are made to last gives parents a better value for their money. The Real Projects workshop is made of strong, sturdy plastic that can hold up to your average toddler or preschooler long past the duration of time they will play with it for. It’s also easy to wipe clean if left outdoors or just for those times when things get messy.
The activities that the Step2 workbench provides for toddlers encourages valuable skills, such as the ability to turn and twist pieces as well as connecting parts together. Fine motor skill development is crucial for doing every day tasks and this can not be achieved simply by pressing digital images on a screen. If you are looking for the perfect gift idea from a toy, choose one that does more than just keep kids engaged!
This large tool workshop for kids is large with plenty of space and accessories for multi-child play.
Recommended Ages: 3 and up
- Large work surface includes screw holes, recesses for nut, and screw storage
- Realistic Durafoam “wood” is easy to put together to create birdhouses and other “wooden” projects
- Features tool chest cabinet, slide in/out drawer and hanging jars where tools and screws can be stored
- Parts bin is an ideal place to store the “wood” pieces once playtime is over
- Pretend shop vacuum teaches children the importance of clean-up after creating a project
- Electronic drill and overhead shop light provide interactive play fun
- 50-piece accessory set included (includes drill bits, screws, nuts, saw, hammer, vise and much more)
- Requires two “AA” and three “AAA” batteries (not included)
- Adult assembly required
- Size: 40.75 H 34.00 W 15.00 D
- Weight: 30 lbs
Plenty of Play Pieces
Play Tip: If set up in your child’s bedroom, use the overhead light as a night light
Recommended Age: 3 and up
Little handymen and handywomen will love pretending to build with their Handy Helper’s Workbench by Step2. This kid’s toy workshop is compact to fit in a child’s playroom or bedroom. Kids can make believe they are drilling, sawing and hammering, which will help toddlers increase their fine motor skills.
Captivating Kids Tool Bench
- Work table with built-in bolt holes, power drill holder and real working vise maximizes a kiddo’s creativity
- Electronic drill increases interactive play
- Using the peg board and hooks to hang tools on the back wall will help children to learn how to stay organized
- Storage bin and lower storage area for pretend tools and accessories
- Includes four piece Durafoam™ realistic-looking “wood” building kit
- 22-piece accessory set included
- Requires two “AA” batteries (not included)
- Adult assembly required
- Dimensions: 23.50 H 11.25 W 18.00 D
- Size: 13.25 lbs