What’s the best 2000 Watt Generator? We make it easy for you to decide.
We’ve all experienced discomfort in the past due to a lack of power, and although it doesn’t happen often it’s going to happen again. Most people can’t even go a few hours without looking at their smartphone, so can you imagine what would happen if the power to their home was wiped out right now? In the past it was annoying and I’ve experienced living without electronic devices for a few days myself, but the world has completely changed and our entire lives now revolve around electronics.
Best 2000 Watt Generator
The best generator for you depends on your budget. When writing this article it was important to find the best 2000 watt generators that enabled a wide variety of people to afford one. If you want the absolute best then I recommend the Yamaha EF2000iS or the Honda EU2000i, but if you’re on a budget, then you have two excellent choices: WEN 56200i and the Champion 73536i. Either way, we give you the full details in this article, so continue reading.
Before trying to figure out what you would do without your smartphone or television should the power in your home disappear, you should know there is a solution staring you in the face. Just like fancy gadgets keep on improving, so do the generators that will keep them running when the ‘lights go out.’ They have so many uses everyone could benefit from, so we’re going to delve into the world of generators by explaining the ins and outs of what you need, plus we’ll look at a few of the favorites available.
Four Fantastic 2000 Watt Generators | Reviewed
Inverter Generators Vs Conventional Generators
Conventional generators have been used for many years, and the technology behind them is rather simple. To begin with you need a fuel source to run it, which might be gasoline you would fill up your car with at the pump. The gas is used to fuel a motor attached to an alternator with electricity coming out of the other side. The motor in these basic generators runs at a consistent speed to produce a current suitable to power your equipment, and in the US it would normally be 120 V/60 Hz.
Inverter generators are a much more modern invention, so although they’re better it means they are also more complicated. The most common type you’ll find are 3-phase generators providing you with an AC current. Unlike conventional generators, this will be converted into a DC current and finally inverted back into AC again. It’s where the ‘inverter’ in the name comes from, and by going through this process the AC current is a single phase wave capable of changing voltage and frequency depending on the appliances you’re powering. Let’s look in detail at the benefits of the inverter generator.
A Huge Reduction In Noise
Conventional generators have to keep running consistently at around 3600 revolutions per minute (RPM) in most models, and if they can’t maintain the same speed the quality of the power will fluctuate. In order to keep going at the same speed non-stop, you’re left with a motor that has to keep running at maximum power. This results in a great deal of noise, which will only ever go away once the generator has been switched off.
Inverter generators are completely different and sometimes they’ll produce very little sound. They only need to produce enough output to power the appliances they’re hooked up to, and as well as being able to scale back on speed the modern equipment built into them includes sound-dampening technology and special mufflers. Conventional generators might run at 65-75 decibels, the range a jet engine will fall into. A great inverter generator running at full speed could hit 60 decibels, which is 8 decibels quieter than an electric razor.
They’re A Lot More Portable
A conventional generator will be easy to spot on a building site even when switched off, because they’ll be enclosed inside a chunky metal frame as they’re so heavy. The good ones will come with wheels attached and they’ll still be a hassle to move around, or if they don’t have wheels you’ll need multiple people to move them depending on how big they are. It is still possible to take them on camping trips, but lifting them in and out of your car won’t be easy.
Nothing could be more portable than an inverter generator, and even though the best 2000 watt generator might weigh up to 50 pounds they are still portable enough for one person to carry. Their design also adds to their portability, because they could be a couple of cubic feet in size with a big handle on the top to grab onto. When you’re not carrying your generator around you’ll be able to store it in your garage without wasting valuable storage space.
Quality Of The Power Produced
Nobody can deny the fact conventional generators are extremely powerful, but the quality of the power produced is terrible. If the motor is unable to keep running at the same speed and the frequency starts to fluctuate, it could cause problems for delicate appliances hooked up to it. You wouldn’t think twice about using them for old power tools, but using one to power your TV or charge up your smartphone is asking for trouble.
Earlier on we talked about the inverter producing a single phase wave, and this is better known as a pure sine wave. To give you an idea of the quality it’s basically as good as the power coming from the plug sockets inside your home. The output is so smooth and stable you can run anything off your inverter generator without having to cross your fingers and hope nothing goes wrong. Owning a generator during a power outage is pointless if you’re afraid to use it.
The Fuel Efficiency And Running Time
The basic technology inside a conventional generator means it’s easy to explain the fuel efficiency and running time. There is no fuel efficiency because the generator has to run at full speed all the time. The running time will depend on the size of the fuel tank and whether or not it’s full, but it will keep guzzling the same amount of gas until it runs out. Any size of fuel tank can be used and the run-time will improve as the tank gets bigger.
The fuel efficiency of an inverter generator revolves around its ability to alter the amount of power it needs to operate. If it only needs to work at 50% of its maximum load the running time could work out to be twice as long if we wanted to oversimplify things. They can save up to around 40% in fuel and the best 2000 watt generator today could last for up to 10 hours, which is longer than you’d usually need to use it for.
Do You Need An Inverter Generator?
I think the most important question is whether or not you need any kind of generator. If the answer is yes, the inverter generator is the obvious choice and you shouldn’t go near a conventional one. We’ve just talked about all the benefits they provide, so if you need something to store in your garage in case your home loses power they’re perfect. You wouldn’t want to run delicate electronic devices with anything else.
They are also perfect for anyone who loves to spend time outdoors without giving up their creature comforts. This includes campers, hunters, fishermen, and anyone else who needs power to function normally where no plug sockets exist. So if you have decided you need to buy an inverter generator, the only thing to decide now is which one to get.
The Best 2000 Watt Generator To Buy
There are a lot of amazing 2000 watt inverter generators on the market, but they’re all different and come at various price points. That means choosing one can be tough, so to help make your decision a little easier we’re going to look at the top 4 options on the market right now. We will look at some of the best features you can expect to find in each of them to help you differentiate between each model, because they all come with the standard ‘inverter’ benefits and need some way to stand out among the crowd.
Overview | WEN 56200i
The US Department of Health and Human Services said the WEN 56200i is as loud as a regular human conversation, and although some make similar claims this one is backed up by an outside source. I know aesthetics comes down to personal opinions at the end of the day but the 56200i looks stylish, and the interface is set up so it’s easy to use including the indication lights telling you what is going on while it’s running.
Something we didn’t mention earlier was extra power because you only wanted the best 2000 watt generator, but the WEN 56200i could equal double the fun. Should you ever run into a situation where you need even more power, you can hook a pair of them together and you’ll still get the pure sine wave to protect your expensive appliances. Apart from the extra 56200i you’ll obviously need, all you require is a cable to connect them together.
The best 2000 watt generator if you’re on a budget.
To run two generators in tandem you’ll need an extra cable: Smarter Tools ST-PKIT2000 Parallel Kit.
View or download the MANUAL for the WEN 56200i.
Includes: Spark Plug Wrench, Flathead Screwdriver, Instruction Manual.
- Extremely quiet 51 dB operation minimizes noise; EPA III and CARB compliant.
- 79.7cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2,000 surge Watt and 1,600 rated Watt.
- Great for the campgrounds, the country, the parking lot and power outages.
- Produces clean power to prevent damage from sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops.
- Includes two 3-prong 120-Volt receptacles, one 12-Volt DC receptacle and one 5-Volt USB port.
- Run-time at half load: 4 hours.
Yamaha EF2000iS | Best 2000 Watt Generator
As you will read below, this inverter generator is packed with features that will make your head spin. It’s not the cheapest 2000 watt generator available but it’s one of the best your money can buy.
Overview | Yamaha EF2000iS
The Yamaha EF2000iS could easily be considered the best 2000 watt generator because even though it’s extremely powerful, they’ve used an innovative inverter system which produces cleaner power than what comes out of your plug sockets at home. They’re coming out with new ‘smart’ appliances every day and they’re very expensive as you can imagine, but you’ll have the confidence to connect anything to this.
It will run reliably for over 10 hours if it’s in economy mode, which gives it one of the longest run times. This particular model also has its own unique sound-blocking design, so when running the generator on full load it’s still going to be almost silent. The EF2000iS can also recharge batteries, so would turn into a valuable safety device to store in your car or boat in case you ever broke down in the middle of nowhere.
If you want to run two of these generators in parallel you’ll need the cable (sold separately): Yamaha ACC-0SS55-70-01 — Sidewinder Parallel Cable.
Protective cover is also available for this model.
View or download the MANUAL for the Yamaha EF2000iS.
- Powered by Yamaha’s MZ80; 79cc, air-cooled (fan assist), OHV, 2-valve, 4-stroke, single cylinder engine with electronic capacitor discharge (CD) ignition.
- Auto decompression system reduces engine compression to provide a light recoil starter pull for effortless manual starting.
- Cast iron cylinder liner provides excellent heat dissipation and extends service life.
- Pulse Width Modulation provides super “clean” power. As clean or cleaner than you get from a household receptacle.
- Rated AC output for continuous use is 1,600 watts / 13.3 amps.
- Non-fuse type circuit breaker (NFB) prevents internal circuit damage in the event of an overload.
- Yamaha’s Noise Block body design features a molded casing and noise-absorbing glass wool to provide ultra quiet operation.
- Smart Throttle / Economy Control automatically adjusts engine speed to match the load, saving fuel, reducing noise and engine wear.
- Manual choke.
- Auto Warm Up (4 to 6 minutes) ensures consistent power delivery during cold start-ups.
- Yamaha’s Oil Watch Warning System automatically shuts off the engine when oil level is low and will not restart until oil is added, preventing costly engine damage and enhancing long-term durability.
- Washable foam air filter reduces maintenance costs
- 12 Volt DC output and cables for charging RV, auto and marine 12-volt batteries.
- On-off fuel petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carb dry for storage, helping to prevent stale fuel problems, which are becoming more common with ethanol based fuels.
- Cleanable spark arrestor stops the possibility of sparks from exiting the exhaust.
- Rubber feet isolate vibration for smoother operation and reduced noise.
- Suitcase style handle and lightweight (21 kg / 46 lb) make the EF2000iS very portable.
- EPA & CARB Emission Engine Durability Rating. Yamaha generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board.
Overview | 2000 Watt Generator — Champion 73536i
The Champion 73536i is powered by their extremely reliable 80cc OHV engine, and when the tank is full and it’s running at 25% of its maximum load it will keep pumping out power for around 9 hours. While 25% might sound like a low amount of power, it’s still more than enough to keep the majority of appliances running in your RV, cabin, or favorite fishing spot. It gets even better as the price is a lot cheaper than other models, so it might not have the best features on this list but it sure makes up for it in price.
It’s also capable of being thrown together with an extra generator to produce a larger amount of power, and it can be set up within minutes as soon as you get the parallel kit. As you’ll see from an image of the Champion 73536i, it looks extremely durable even though it’s very light. When you spend a lot of money on something you tend to be over cautious, but once you hold the 73536i you’ll realize it’s not going to fall apart if it bangs into something.
For connecting two of these generators in parallel you’ll need: Champion Power Equipment 73500i — Parallel Power Kit.
View or download the MANUAL for the Champion 73536i.
You can also purchase a Protective cover for this generator to keep the elements at bay.
- True sine wave inverter technology.
- Economy mode to save fuel.
- Overload protection.
- 120V AC Load.
- 12V DC outlet.
- Up to 9.5 hours run time at 25% load.
- 53 dBA at 23 ft.
- Only 49 lbs..
- Easy pull recoil start.
- Low oil shut-off sensor.
- USDA approved spark arrestor.
- Stackable design.
- Parallel capability.
- Built in carrying handle.
Overview | Honda EU2000i
You would use the Honda EU2000i inverter generator if you were looking for the quietest one on the market, because at between 53 to 59 decibels it makes even less noise than a casual conversation. If you had to use it to power your flat screen TV during a power outage, you wouldn’t need to turn the volume up high in order to hear properly. The Honda GX100 engine might run for just over 8 hours, but it only weighs 46 pounds and it’s so light anyone could handle it.
Inverter generators can protect all of your favorite electronic devices, but they are expensive so how are they going to protect themselves? The Honda EU2000i has a special oil alert system, and as soon as the generator knows the oil levels are too low it will switch itself off on its own. Built-in circuit protection will also ensure overloading during operation can’t occur, so it’s one of the ultimate generators designed to preserve its own life and your bank account.
The Honda EU2000i has a large passionate following who are correct in stating that this is one of the best 2000 watt generators on the market, and I agree, but I would also say that the Yamaha EF2000iS is just as good, and both deserve to be on this list.
View or download the MANUAL for the Honda EU2000i.
Cables for parallel operation are sold separately: Honda 08E93-HPK123HI
Protective cover: Honda 08P57-Z07-00S
- Super quiet – less noise than normal conversation: EU2000i operates at 53 to 59 dBA (less noise than a normal conversation).
- Lightweight and compact: Weighs less than 46 pounds.
- Fuel efficient : runs up to 8.1 hrs on less than a gallon of fuel
- Thanks to our exclusive Eco-Throttle System, the EU2000i offers great fuel efficiency. Runs 3.4 to 8.1 hours on a single tank, depending on the load. This makes it great for overnight power.
- Advanced inverter technology : Reliable power for computers and other sensitive equipment. Stable, clean power. Power is as reliable as the power you get from your outlets at home.
- Double your power with parallel capability: Add a second EU2000i for additional power for up to 4000 watts of power.
- 12v – 8.0A unregulated DC output: Use when charging 12-volt automotive type batteries. (Requires an optional charging cord.)
- 3 year residential and commercial warranty: Generator is covered from top to bottom.
- Oil Alert: Protects the generator by shutting the engine off when low oil is detected.
- USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler.
- Circuit protected means the generator is protected from being overloaded.
TIP: At high altitude, the default carburetor air/fuel mixture is too rich which will cause a decline in performance and an increase in fuel consumption. If you consistently use your generator at altitudes above 5,000 feet (1,500 meters), make sure you adjust the air/fuel mixture. Read the manual to learn more. You can either do this yourself (if you know what you’re doing) or take it to a Honda professional.
When I was a kid I’d stock up on Duracell AA or AAA batteries for my toys and gadgets but Duracell has expanded their product line to include portable generators. Thankfully, they’ve kept their commitment to quality. This is a nice little unit with a reasonable price tag. And, if you love orange then it’s perfect for you.
The DG2.0i inverter can also be used in parallel allowing you to double the output to 4000 starting watts and 3200 running watts.
View or download the MANUAL for the DG2.0i inverter generator.
- Engine size: 79cc
- Starting Watts: 2000 Watts / Running Watts 1600 Watts.
- Inverter generator provides clean AC power for sensitive electronics.
- Whisper quiet operation: 64dB
- Low oil shutdown.
- Parallel function to double output with second DG2.0i generator and parallel kit.
- Econ switch for auto throttle function.
- Overload protection with resettable circuit breakers
- Over 6 hours of running time on less than a gallon of gas.
- Meets CSA/EPA/CARB certification
- Warranty : Engine (2 years) / Alternator (2 year) limited warranty.
- Voltages: 120 Volt Single Phase
- Outlets: (1) 5-20 Duplex, 12V DC, Parallel Outlets
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Shipping weight: 45 lbs.
- Dimensions: 20″ x 11″ x18″
- Tank Size – 1 gallon
So, What’s the Best 2000 Watt Generator?
I don’t know what else you could ask for if you pick up one of these 2000 watt inverter generators. You can take it everywhere with you easily due to their portability, so you’ll always have access to power no matter where you are. Even if it’s stored away in your garage you’ll never have to worry about a disaster wiping out the electricity in your home. It would be pointless getting one if they couldn’t be used for modern appliances, but because they can it would be crazy not to keep one around if you can afford it.
Carbon Monoxide | Please Be Safe!
Using a portable generator indoors CAN KILL YOU IN MINUTES. Generator exhaust contains carbon monoxide (CO). This is a poison gas you cannot see or smell. If you can smell the generator exhaust, you are breathing CO. But even if you cannot smell the exhaust, you could be breathing CO.
NEVER use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, or other partly enclosed areas. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can build up in these areas. Using a fan or opening windows and doors does NOT supply enough fresh air. ONLY use a generator outside and far away from windows, doors, and vents. These openings can pull in generator exhaust.
Even if you use a generator correctly, CO may leak into the home. ALWAYS use a battery-powered or battery backup CO alarm in the home. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak after the generator has been running, move to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. See a doctor. You may have carbon monoxide poisoning.