The Yamaha EF2600 generator is not like other conventional generators. Yes, you can buy cheaper generators but if you want a professional quality gas generator then you’d be smart to invest in the Yamaha EF2600 (2600W) — and yes, it is an investment.
Trust me, when a disaster or an emergency hits your neighborhood, the EF2600 could save your life. It’s extremely versatile for work, play or leisure.
A few features: “Damper Winding” alternator which creates cleaner energy (sine wave) than most conventional generators. Has a maintenance-free brushless alternator, a low-vibration 4-point mounting system, meets all EPA and CARB requirements, and it’s quiet (68 dBA) — to name a few of the many great features.
We have a lot of ground to cover as we begin with laying down the foundation on generators; helping you make a smarter buying decision.
Before we get into some background information on portable generators, I’d like to introduce you to the Yamaha EF2600 generator — with more details later in the article:
Quick Look — Yamaha EF2600
- 4-stroke — OHV (overhead valve), single cylinder, air-cooled 171cc engine — Improved efficiency, increased reliability and quieter operation
- Meets EPA and CARB emission regulations. Legal for sale in all 50 states.
- Auto-decompression system — Reduces compression enabling easy starts.
- AC Voltmeter — Provides easy-to-read voltage output
- Oil watch alert system — Engine will shutdown if oil levels are low, protecting the engine.
- AC Non-fuse thermal breaker .
- Fuel gauge — Monitor fuel levels quickly; at a glance.
- Weight: 92.6 lbs.
- Big 2.9 gallon fuel tank — 8.5 hours of continuous operation.
- Noise Level : 68 dBA (decibels) at 1/4 Load.
- Rugged full rollover frame — Added durability and protects generator engine and fuel tank
- Mechanical governor — Maintains engine speed to deliver consistent AC output
- Innovative muffler design — Reduces weight and noise
- Brushless alternator — Maintenance free and reliable. Lasts 3x to 5x longer than traditional brush models. Fewer moving parts means fewer repairs.
- Rubber vibration isolation mounts — Reduces vibration providing smooth operation.
- Cast iron cylinder lining — Long engine life, excellent heat dissipation.
Why a Portable Generator is a Smart Investment?
America’s electrical power runs on a 450,000-mile grid that powers over 140 million users throughout homes and businesses across America. With a growing population, larger homes and a growing number of electrical base consumer products, this system is under constant strain. The constant strain has resulted in a number of severe blackouts in both rural and major cities.
Yamaha EF2800i | Inverter Generator | Ultra-quiet and Powerful
Our electrical dependency is further tested with a rising number of severe storms that are not only growing in frequency but also in severity. More and more people are looking to make investments in their homes and businesses that will allow them to maintain functionality in the event of an outage. One such option is the purchase of an electrical generator. An electrical generator provides electrical energy from an external, mechanical source.
The three primary mechanical sources are a manual external crank, internal combustion engines or turbines from gas, steam or water. Mobile cranks are often used to supply electricity for small output sources, such as an emergency flashlight. Turbine based generators are often large, costly options required for large scale projects as powering power plants, off-grid housing projects, and large-scale work locations.
The most common option for the general consumer needing a back-up power source for the home or an electricity to power equipment in remote work locations are engine based options. These require a fuel source such as gas or coal to drive the engine and output electricity.
Video | Yamaha Generators | Why they’re Superior?
Understanding the Types & Components of an Electrical Generator
— Fuel Sources
Types of internal combustion engine generators are widespread and vary by size, fuel source, and the selection between the inverter and conventional options. In terms of fuel source, there are several options: gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, natural gas and propane are perhaps the most common options, with each having their own pros and cons. Various generators on the market may require one of the resources or may even be able to function with several of the listed options.
Gasoline provides several benefits and is among the most common options. It is an easily available resource and can be easily transported. It is low-cost compared to alternative options and because the engine starts with the use of a spark plug, it can function in even the coldest weather conditions. Precautions must be taken when using a gas based option, as gasoline is highly flammable resource, so it is important to frequently inspect all working parts, provide ongoing maintenance and make sure components are oiled. It is also inadvisable to store large quantities of gasoline primarily due to the hazard it poses and to its short shelf life of a maximum 12 months.
Gas Generator| Westinghouse WH3250RVC | 3750 Starting Watts
Diesel is a less flammable fuel source and is easy to obtain. Diesel based generators do generally cost more than gas alternatives depending on the location, the diesel itself may be costly. Because it utilizes an air compression mechanism to start, it may have difficulty starting in cold weather. Use in cold weather also requires additives to be combined with fuel.
Diesel is the primary source of military, trucking and farming industry so in the event of disaster its use may be regulated for all other consumers. Diesel is often used for large, heavy-duty applications, requiring long usage. The high usage offsets the cost of purchase and maintaining a diesel system.
Impressive Diesel Generator | Generac XD5000E (6864)
Bio-diesel operates similarly to a petroleum engine in its use of compression-ignition. It is an easily obtained fuel source that is not highly flammable and releases few admissions. The biodegradable fuel source must be obtained from vegetable oils or animal fats and must be mixed with other fuels such as petroleum diesel fuels. To maintain the carefully blended fuel storage tanks must be obtained and installed and additives added to extended beyond the 18-24 month shelf life.
Propane is a clean bring easily stored fuel source with a long shelf life. The system itself tends to be more complex than gas or diesel options which can often result in mechanical failure. Both the generator and its fuel can be significantly more expensive that previously mentioned options and includes a pressurized cylinder of highly flammable gas. The specialized components and the complex operating system often result in the equipment itself having a shorter life span than diesel or gas engines.
Runs off of Propane or Gas | DuroMax XP10000EH
Natural gas is an unlimited, clean burning fuel source that is available regardless of disastrous conditions. Natural gas comes from such sources as an underground crude oil which requires professional plumbing and set up that can be incredibly costly. The generators are far less common for the general consumer and are very costly to obtain. The complicated running system frequently means mechanical breakdowns that require professional repairs.
While undoubtedly a particular fuel source will be in mind for those in the market for a generator, it would be prudent to look at options capable of functioning with a number of sources. In the event of a storm or blackout, one source may become unavailable, so to be able to function with another provides an additional benefit.
Gas, Natural Gas or Propane | Tri-Fuel Generator | Sportsman GENTRI9K
Outlets (Sportsman GENTRI9K) : 4x : 120V outlets, 1x : 120V RV outlet, 1x : 120/240V outlet, 1x : 12V DC outle. (View manual)
Inverter Generator VS. Conventional Generator
Inverters and conventional generators differ in how they deliver power. A conventional generator provides electricity as a direct AC current from the fuel source. The voltage that is created is directly related to the engine’s rpm. Fluctuations in rpm will alter the voltage and frequency of the power generated. The allows for maximum power output and depending on the amount of fuel available, it runs for long periods of time.
Like a conventional generator, an inverter generator can run for extended periods of time, but this has less to do with the amount of fuel supplied and more to do with the efficiency of the system. The inverter is a newer operating system for generators and it functions be converting the fuel to an AC current, then to a DC current and finally back to an AC current. This “3-phase” mechanism allows a constant and study flow of electricity to be outputted, regardless of fluctuations in the engine’s RPM due to a motion from voluntary or involuntary movement.
Yamaha Inverter Generator | Clean Energy & Quiet | Yamaha EF3000iSEB
This system is made possible by advanced circuitry and magnetic systems that allow the generator to function with a high level of stability without the need of a large fuel tank or additional base to reduce motion. They also release fewer fuel emissions, are quieter than their conventional counterparts, are significantly smaller lighter and can be connected to other inverter generators to increase supplied electricity.
Choosing a size not only means physical size but also power capacity, so you must begin with deciding how much power is needed. How many items will need to be powered? What is the wattage requirements of each item? What are the total kilowatts needed? What is the fuel source? Is the generator single phase or 3-phase? Viewing power consumption charts available with a dealer or on the web will help in making this determination.
Video | Inverter Generator vs. Conventional Generator
Once a determination is made as to how much power is needed in the home or workspace account an additional amount for the power necessary to start the motor of the largest power source being used. Many large items, such as heating and cooling systems utilize a great deal of energy to generate enough power to get the motor running. If not accounted for, the strain could short the electrical system and cause an equipment failure.
The generator should have a rating listed for its running wattage output and its surge capacity, in the event that more power than was accounted for is used. The surge capacity acts as a fail safe. When comparing need to generator output, base that determination off of the running wattage rating. The ratings available are broad and can range anywhere from 5-watts to an industry capacity of 3500 megawatts.
Size in terms of physical capacity depends primarily on the required mobility. A person requiring that a generator be moved between various work-sites would need an option that it more portable. A more portable option may also be desirable for a homeowner that doesn’t anticipate using a generator year round but is only interested in using it should a specific need present itself.
Who Should Consider Purchasing A Generator?
Most anyone can find a use for an electrical generator, specific individuals might have the most immediate need: private households, outdoor contractors, small business owners and outdoor enthusiast.
— Private Households
Private households definitely have a need to utilize electrical generators as a backup power source. Electricity is required to keep food fresh, stay connected with local news outlets through the use of a radio or television, charge communication devices, power medical equipment and maintain heat or air in health threatening weather conditions. A person that lives in mobile housing option may need a generator in addition to other devices to ensure many of the basic functions such as those relating to potting and sewage are functioning.
— Small Businesses
Small businesses that can’t afford the cost that comes with a loss of electricity may need a generator. These include businesses with consumable products that must be maintained, businesses that provide health care such as private hospice facilities or companies that rely on constant contact in the form of internet or phone service.
— Outdoor Contractors
Contractors that work remotely may not have access to an electrical source. This applies to a number of businesses, such as mobile groomers, carpenters, handyman, mobile car detailers, etc. These businesses require the use of tools and electrical equipment in order to fulfill a client service and absolutely must be able to provide a power source in any location.
— Outdoor Enthusiast
One of the fastest growing industries is the outdoor recreation and sports sector. This includes those employed in this area as well as hobbyist. With these individuals venturing out further from safety and often for extended periods of time. An option to increase safety, as well as comfort, is to set up a base of operation with all of the necessities required to retreat from harsh weather conditions, communicate with others and power useful equipment such as small heaters and cookware.
Light Enough to Take With You | Yamaha EF2400iSHC
✓ EPA & CARB Emission Engine Durability Rating. Yamaha generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board.
Purchasing a Generator | Yamaha EF2600
The average black-out in the United States last 1 to 3 hours whether it is due to complications with the electrical grid or from severe weather storms, where the electric companies own backup generators can restore power. The typical work day last 8 hours (less when accounting for breaks). This means that a sufficient generator must provide a minimum of 8 hours of electrical power.
The average refrigerator requires 1100kwh of power. A light-bulb requires 1 kWh per 10 hours. A microwave uses .36kw in 15 minutes and a laptop computer drains 15-45 watts per hour. A generator that allows for around 2000kw of power is likely to be more than adequate to supply the basic needs of a household experiencing a power outage. A generator that is presently on the market that provides these basic needs in addition to a multitude of features is the Yamaha EF2600.
Yamaha EF2600 | 2600W Portable Gas Generator
- A true workhorse of a generator. Versatile and powerful; providing a lot of practical features for the money.
- Yamaha EF2600 is streamlined for efficiency with its 2600-watt output. Ideal for emergencies to power most appliances (separately) and/or to be used on a work-site.
- The Yamaha EF2600 has a maintenance free brushless alternator — a low-vibration 4-point mounting system inside a rugged frame for smooth, near-silent (68 dB) performance.
- Large, 2.9 gallon fuel tank, delivers over 8.5 hours of power.
- Yamaha’s Oil Watch Warning System helps prevent engine damage from low oil; protecting your investment.
- Yamaha EF2600 is a smart choice if you value quality and reliable performance without spending too much. For what you get, it’s worth the price.
- ✓ View or download the MANUAL for the Yamaha EF2600 generator.
- ✓ View or download the BROCHURE for the Yamaha EF2600 generator.
Overview | Yamaha EF2600 Generator
The Yamaha EF2600 can support 8.5 hours of continuous operation at a rated load of 2300 Watts. Some customers have even reported getting as much as 11 hours of continuous operation (operating below rated load). It has a maximum output of 2600 watts and in the event that an unsuspecting user exceeds the power allowance, a non-fuse thermal breaker is designed to immediately suspend operation. In an effort to prevent the need for an emergency stop the designers have included an AC voltmeter as to make the user aware of how much power is being supported.
Elegant Design | Will Last You A Very Long Time
With an air-cooled, single-cylinder, four-stroke engine the Yamaha EF2600 is incredibly powerful. The air cooling system allows the powerful engine to operate at a high-efficiency and at a noise level that reaches a mere 68db rating. Noise is further reduced through Yamaha’s inclusion of a muffler and rubber mounts that absorb and isolate vibrations.
It has a large 2.9gallon fuel tank and by simply changing the fuel supply the EF2600 can switch between gasoline, natural gas and propane. It also has a fuel gauge, an Auto-decompression system for easy starting and an oil reader to alert users when oil levels have dwindled.
The machine has rugged, brushless steel frame that is highly durable and resistant to the effects of weather, as well as the nicks and dings that are the result of travel. Yamaha designers even included a detachable cover that provides further protection from the elements.
The simple, but efficient operating system, requires little maintenance and features that provide the maximum “bang for the buck.” With an ideal load capacity and operation time that can sustain most households, businesses and job sites and an enclosing that provides durability and ruggedness, the EF2600 is the ideal purchase for the general consumer.
My only complaint is the lack of wheels on the Yamaha EF2600. I honestly don’t understand why they don’t include a wheel kit. It’s an oversight that Yamaha needs to address. If you want a generator more mobile then consider getting something like the Yamaha EF3000iSEB — it’s an inverter generator, so it’s lighter, more mobile (built-in wheels), ultra-quiet and capable of running all of your sensitive electronics. Yes, it’s more expensive but worth the money due to its long list of great features.
It’s an alternative to consider. Ultimately, it’s up to you. Just be honest about what your needs are.
— Yamaha EF3000iSEB | 3500 Watts | Superior Inverter Generator
✓ View or download the MANUAL (Yamaha EF3000iSEB) to learn more. Make sure you read the entire manual before operating any generator.
Features — EF3000iSEB
- Yamaha Boost Technology (YBT) — Boosts output by adding battery voltage to alternator output when needed. The Boost Control Unit (BCU) senses when extra power is needed and boosts output for up to 10 seconds, giving air conditioners, power tools, and other equipment the extra boost of power they may need to start quickly and efficiently
- Noise Block, acoustically designed sound reduction system — Sound absorbing material, used in key locations, does not resonate sound. Innovative muffler design and molded fan produce incredible noise reduction.
- Smart Throttle, load sensing rpm control — Automatically adjusts engine speed to match current electrical load. Real-time adjustments.
- Long run time — Can operate for up to 18.6 hours without refueling (at 1/4 rated load with “Smart Throttle” function on).
- 12 Volt DC output, battery charging cables included — Recharge 12-volt batteries for RV, auto, marine, etc.
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control — Safetly operate our sensitive electronics, like laptops and smartphones.
- Centralized control panel — Well-laid out controls. Easy to find what you need.
- Electric starter — Quick starting (battery included).
- 171cc Overhead Valve (OHV) engine — Ultra-quiet when running. You won’t even notice. As quiet as a conversation.
- Oil Watch Warning system — Engine shutdown when oil gets low.
- Four wheels with parking brake — Move it around with ease and grace.
- Yamaha generators have the longest emission durability engine ratings issued by the environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board.
- Factory Warranty — Covers the entire generator for defects in parts and workmanship for three (3) years
- Legal for sale in all 50 states. EPA and CARB Compliant.
Yamaha EF6600DE | 6600W Gas Generator
Should the consumer find that their power needs reach even what is provided by this model, Yamaha has even put a larger generator on the market that allows for a 6600 maximum watt load and a 6000-watt running load capable of sustained operation for up to 6.8 hours and with the use of 6.1gallon tank.
A generator is an incredibly useful addition to any home or business owner interested in emergency preparedness or those that frequently require the use of equipment in remote locations for work or recreation. With proper safety measures in place, a portable generator can be utilized in a wide range of locations for a wide range of functions. The potential purchaser only needs to consider fuel source, desired size and decide between a single phase or three phase option to select the ideal option to meet his/her specific need.
Features (Yamaha EF6600DE):
- Powered by Yamaha’s MZ360; 357cc, air-cooled (fan assist), OHV, 2-valve, 4-stroke, single cylinder engine with transistor controlled (TC) ignition.
- Electric starting backed up by a manual recoil with an auto decompression system for a light recoil starter pull. Battery not included.
- Auto choke for easy, no hassle starting
- Cast iron cylinder liner provides excellent heat dissipation and extends service life.
- Maintenance-free brushless alternator offers superior reliability and reduced maintenance.
- Dual 120 & 240 volt output makes the EF6600DE very versatile
- Non-fuse type circuit breaker (NFB) prevents internal circuit damage in the event of an over load.
- Rated AC output for continuous use is 6,000 watts / 50 amps @ 120 volts & 6,000 watts / 25 amps @ 240 volts
- Neutral bonded to frame.
- Economy Control System (when turned on) lowers the engine rpm when there is no load to conserve fuel and reduce noise and engine wear.
- Yamaha’s Oil Watch Warning System automatically shuts off the engine when oil level is low and will not re-start until oil is added, preventing costly engine damage and enhancing long-term durability. Low oil warning light will illuminate on the front panel.
- AC volt meter provides easy to read voltage output
- Electrical “noise” suppressor reduces electrical interference with TVs and radios.
- Easy access, washable foam air filter reduces maintenance costs
- Easy access oil drain plug
- On-off fuel petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carburetor dry for storage, helping to prevent stale fuel problems, which are becoming more common with ethanol based fuels.
- Large fuel fill hole for easy filling. Fuel gauge is standard
- Rubber vibration isolation mounts reduce vibration for smoother operation and reduced noise.
- Rugged perimeter frame protects the generator and engine from damage.
- CSA approved (Canadian Standards Association)
- EPA & CARB Emission Engine Durability Rating. Yamaha generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board.
- 3-year warranty for “residential / home” use or “commercial use.”
✓ View or download the MANUAL for Yamaha EF6600DE.
Details of the Yamaha EF6600DE
Learn more about the Yamaha EF6600DE on Amazon.
How To Safely Use A Generator
While generators are widely used and can be understood and properly used by most people within the general public, safety measures must be considered. The first safety consideration that must be accounted for is the flammability of the fuel source. All fuel sources are flammable only the matter of degree differs across selections.
Gas is the most frequently used and is also the most flammable, particularly due to its use of spark plugs. Just as vehicles use a similar mechanism, simple maintenance and precautions can be taken. Regularly inspecting the various parts of the machine and replacing any parts that appear to be worn or wearing.
When the generator is being used keeping it away from any equipment that could produce a spark. Do not store large quantities of gasoline. Gasoline that is stored should be in approved containers away from water heaters or fuel burning appliances. Only fuel the machine when it is turned off and away from any potential fire inducing sources such as a lit cigarette. In the case of any unfortunate accidents keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
—Don’t Use Indoors
Never use a generator indoors or in or near any enclosed spaces. A generator exhaust carbon monoxide which is a potentially deadly substance that can be inhaled without detection if not properly ventilated.
— Avoid Backloading
Do not connect a generator directly to an electrical outlet. Doing so can produce backed into the power lines, that is capable of injuring or killing utility line workers. An outdoor approved, heavy-duty power line should be connected to the generator with appliances connected to that power cord.
— Do Not Overload The Generator
Do not overload a generator. Ensure that the wattage of each device is properly accounted for in order not to overload a generator. Not only could this cause damage to equipment or the generator, it could also result in an electrical fire.
— Grounding and Protection From Elements
Make sure the generator is properly grounded to avoid electrical and adequately covered (not enclosed) to avoid the elements. Doing so will prevent electrical shock or other potential hazards.
— Consult the Manual
The manual that accompanies the generator provides a wealth of information to properly and safely connect, install, fuel and operate the generator. It also provides information to assist in troubleshooting and contacts should a problem persist. Consulting the manual and if necessary contact the dealer will help to ensure proper use.
When it comes to generators, there are a lot of options for you to choose from. Yamaha is just one brand, but a very good one at that. Ultimately, you need to decide what your needs are so you can make a decision that you’ll be happy with. As well as educating yourself on how generators work, maintenance required and a range of various other topics that will ensure that you operate your new generator safely.