The Zodiac Baracuda G3 automatic pool cleaner is an effective and inexpensive automatic pool cleaner that does a fantastic job of cleaning your entire pool, including walls, bottom floor, steps, lights and other fixtures and pool features. Most pool owners will appreciate how simple the Baracuda G3 is to setup and use.
This model is known as suction-side pool cleaner and has a patented FlowKeeper Valve – which is essentially an automated variable flow control valve capable of regulating water flow to maintain peak performance at all times — even with low-speed pumps.
Zodiac Baracuda G3
This Baracuda G3 pool cleaner does an excellent job of scrubbing and vacuuming your pool — the floor, walls, steps, lights and other variable surfaces. It’s not a perfect automatic pool cleaner; and not as thorough or as ‘intelligent’ as the other pool cleaners we’ve recently reviewed, but in all fairness, it’s comparatively inexpensive and still does a great job of maintaining a clean swimming pool.
Here’s a list of pool cleaners we’ve recently reviewed. The Barracuda G3 is the least advanced automatic pool cleaner of the group but it’s significantly cheaper as well so keep that in mind. I felt it was important to give my readers a more affordable option for cleaning their inground pool without breaking the bank.
If you can afford to spend a little more money, I would highly recommend the Hayward Tigershark QC or the Dolphin Triton Plus. Why? Well, because they’re exceptional cleaners with more advanced technology powering them and they truly are automatic pool cleaners because they don’t need to be watched and babysat. They’re smart and sophisticated. And yes, they’re quite a bit more expensive.
The best robotic pool cleaner that’s situated in-between the Barricuda G3 and either the Tigershark QC or the Dolphin Triton Plus is the timeless classic — the much beloved, and reasonably priced: Dolphin Nautilus.
- Dolphin Nautilus | Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Hayward Tigershark QC | Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Dolphin Triton & Triton Plus | Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Polaris 280 | Automatic Pool Cleaner
I want to be clear on one thing — The Baracuda G3 is a very good pool cleaner overall, but it does have some issues; like getting stuck randomly on pool surfaces. For example, it seems to consistently get caught on raised anti-vortex drain covers, which if you don’t already them installed, you definitely should as they are much safer and prevent injury from entrapment; especially if you have children.
Read more about pool safety by reading: Swimming Pool Safety – Guidelines for Entrapment Hazard.
Inexpensive, Competent and Durable
The Zodiac G3 pool cleaner delivers efficient, effective cleaning performance. Zodiac recommends that you use a low speed pump for maximum efficiency.
The G3 quickly inhales small and medium debris while thoroughly cleaning your pool floor, walls and steps. The Baracuda G3 cleaner includes robust hoses that are durable and scuff-resistant; appropriate for all pool surfaces, along with a FlowKeeper Valve. This proprietary valve automatically regulates water flow, maintaining peak performance even with low-speed pumps.
Four Key Features of the Barracuda G3:
- Long-Life Diaphragm provides superior and reliable performance since it only has one moving part driving the cleaning mechanism. You don’t have to worry about gears, wheels or flippers. Simple, silent operation and low-cost maintenance.
- 36-Fin Disc: This disc is the point of contact with your Baracuda G3 and it’s been designed to ensure maximum connection and adhesion to all pool surface; eliminating hang-ups on lights, drain covers and fittings.
- Wheel Deflector: Enables enhanced agility for negotiating tight corners.
- Patented Quick Release Cassette: Quick and easy access to the diaphragm for basic maintenance.
Optimizing Your Baracuda G3
When using the Barracuda G3 make sure you check the cleaning positioning of the pool cleaner and then make the necessary adjustments if it’s out of alignment. It should clean perpendicular (flat) to the pool surface. If it’s positioned on an angle then correct it before allowing it proceed, otherwise your pool won’t be be sufficiently cleaned at the end of its cycle.
A return line can be used to guide the cleaner away from steps or areas with V-shaped corners,
and reduce patterning. Direct the return to gently push the cleaner hose by positioning the return directional so it aims towards the wall on the opposite side of the pool, and surface movement is visible 8 feet out from the return.
The hose weight is positioned to compensate, and balance out, for the buoyancy of the hose. A properly balanced hose will create a 45-degree angle between the cleaner and the bottom of your pool. In pools 8.5-feet or deeper, an extra hose weight (Part#: W83247) is recommended. Just position the weight 5 to 8 feet from the Baracuda G3 pool cleaner.
In just three simple steps, the Baracuda G3 cleaner is ready to clean your pool. Simply attach the disc, wheel deflector, and hose, and connect to the skimmer or dedicated suction line. No tools or special plumbing required.
Baracuda G3 Documents | View or download
- MANUAL for the Zodiac Baracuda G3 automatic pool cleaner.
- INSTALLATION Baracuda G3
- QUICK START GUIDE for the Baracuda G3.
- WARRANTY: Zodiac Pool Cleaners.
- BROCHURE: Zodiac Baracuda G3.
- BROCHURE: Full Line of Zodiac Baracuda Pool Cleaners.
Learn more about the Baracuda G3 at Amazon.
- Suction-side cleaner pool cleaner.
- Works in a all shapes and sizes of inground pools.
- Connects directly to your skimmer or dedicated 1.5″ vacuum line
- Includes 39 ft. of feed hose
- Long-Life Diaphragm : Only one major moving part.
- Quiet operation.
- 36-Fin Disc: Optimal adhesion on all pool surfaces. Prevents getting caught on lights, drain covers and other pool surfaces.
- Wheel Deflector: Designed for negotiating tight corners.
- Easy to access the diaphragm when it’s time for maintenance.
- Simple, quiet, automatic pool cleaner.
- Includes a long lasting hose.
- Shipping weight: 19.7 lbs.
- 1-year warranty on manufacturer defects and wear and tear; 2-year warranty on hose.
Watch the Baracuda G3 Cleaning:
How to set-up your Zodiac Baracuda G3:
The Baracuda G3 is quite simple in its design and has been around for many years which means the design has been improved upon and refined over the years. Customer satisfaction is exceptionally high on this pool cleaner so if you decide to purchase it you should be confident in your decision knowing that it has a strong reputation for reliability.
Specs (Baracuda G3 Pool Cleaner):
- Pool Type : In-Ground
- Cleaner Type : Suction-side
- Connection : Skimmer or 1.5-inch Vacuum Line
- Warranty : 1 Year
- Hose Type : Long-Life, 39 ft. of Feed Hose
- Diaphragm : Long-Life
- Pool Surface(s) : tile, vinyl, gunite, and fiberglass
- Model #: W03000
Pentair GW9500 Great White | Worth your Consideration
The Kreepy Krauly GW9500 Great White is an advanced robotic pool cleaning device that scrubs dirt and vacuums pool debris as it travels across your pool surfaces. This Pentair GW9500 is engineered for the most challenging pools. Its bristle-drive mechanism has the power to knock loose the most difficult and stuck-on dirt, while the powerful vacuum removes both small and large debris.
This model is a step up from the Baracuda G3 but not as fast or thorough as a robotic pool cleaner.
This pool cleaner will cover the majority of spots in the pool within a six (6) hour period but it’s not specifically programmed for your pool, and cannot see the dirt you are seeing so don’t get mad at the device when it misses a spot. It uses a random motion pattern to clean your pool. It’s not perfect.
As I said earlier, if you want an intelligent cleaner then you need to buy a robotic pool cleaner which is programmed to calculate the fastest and most efficient path to clean your specific pool. The Barracuda G3 or the Pentair GW9500 are “automatic pool cleaners” and are not that sophisticated. But the Hayward Tigershark QC or the Dolphin Triton Plus use sophisticated technology and powerful motors to quickly clean your pool — and I mean fast — between 1.5 to 3 hours, depending on the cleaning cycle.
The Pentair GW9500 cleaner was designed to spend the majority of its time in the deepest part of the pool, where most of the floor and wall area exists. During a six (6) hour period, the cleaner will visit the shallow end a few times.
The Kreepy Krauly GW9500 comes with everything you need, which includes:
Cleaner, Swivel Assembly, Handle Adapter, Reducer Cone, Hose: Twelve 4’ lengths, Vacuum Regulator, Regulator Cap, Vacuum Port Fitting, Flow Gauge.
Tip: Sometimes the pool cleaner will pick-up large debris which may jam it. If that happens, stop the pump and remove the debris from the oscillator, or the swivel assembly.
If you need to order parts then visit the Pentair site.
- View or download the MANUAL for the Pentair GW9500 Great White.
- View or download the BROCHURE for the Kreepy Krauly GW9500 Great White.
- Bristle drive easily dislodges dirt and debris from your pool.
- Cleans gunite, fiberglass, vinyl and other specialty pool surfaces.
- Designed to clean thoroughly and efficiently, leaving your pool spotless.
- Programmed steering easily navigates around pool obstacles for uninterrupted cleaning.
- Wide 15″ cleaning path for optimal clean cycle.
- Free Vac-Port door fitting for easy fitting into dedicated vacuum line.
- Adjustable regulator valve and free flow gauge allows you to set the cleaning speed to match your needs.
- No assembly required. Plug and play!
Zodiac Baracuda G3 Parts:
The Baracuda G3 comes with everything you need to get started. Below is a diagram of all the parts, accessories and components that you’ll find in the box — before getting started make sure all of the parts are in the box. There’s nothing more annoying than assembling a new product with enthusiasm in your heart, only to realize that something is missing.
Looking for parts? You can use the online interactive parts catalog to find all of your Baracuda pool cleaner parts.
Click the images below for more details.
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W60050 | Flowkeeper Valve
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W83247 | Hose Weight
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W70329 | 36 Finned Disc
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W20460 | Vacuum Replacement Hose
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W69526 | Bumper Fin
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W69698 | Long-Life Diaphragm
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W70328 | Foot Flange
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W70345 | Cassette Chamber w/Compression Ring
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W70327 | Foot Pad
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W83278 | Wheel Deflector
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W69541 | Main Body, Left Side
Baracuda Pool Cleaner | W69542 | Main Body, Right Side
Readers who liked this article, also liked these pool related articles: