When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. ➥Learn more
▶ Peak Atlantic hurricane season is around September 11, 2021.
We are in the midst of hurricane season. Over the next couple months, the potential for more hurricanes is high. Hurricane season ends on November 30 for 2021. Choosing the best hurricane generator is an important component when it comes to dealing with the aftermath. In this article we focus our attention on heavy generators with enough power to get you through a hurricane.
The question is : Are you ready if a hurricane strikes close to your neighborhood? Do you have a plan? The time to think about these things is long before it happens. As you know, weather changes quickly and predictions are only accurate within days, not weeks.
Table of Contents...
- 0.1 Intro — Hurricane Generators
- 0.2 WEN 56475: Best Cheap Hurricane Generator
- 0.3 Best Dual-Fuel Hurricane Generator: Westinghouse iGen4500
- 0.4 Best Tri-Fuel Generator for Hurricanes: DuroMax XP13000HXT
- 0.5 Preparing for Hurricane Season
- 1 Reviews — Best Hurricane Generator
- 1.1 Westinghouse WGEN7500DF — Dual-Fuel Generator
- 1.2 WEN 56225i — Inverter Generator
- 1.3 Honda EU7000iS | BEST Hurricane Generator
- 1.4 A-iPower SUA12000E — 12,000-Watt
- 1.5 Champion 46597 | Cheap Hurricane Generator
- 1.6 DuroMax XP12000EH | Propane & Gas
- 1.7 Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium
- 1.8 Generac 7043 | Stand-by Generator
- 1.9 Guide to Hurricane Preparation
✓ Visit the NOAA site for live hurricane tracking and all the latest hurricane related news.
Excellent Buy ►Westinghouse WGen12000 / 30A / 50A
- 12,000 running watts, 15,000 peak watts
- Runs for up to 11 hours on a 10.5 gal. fuel tank with built-in fuel gauge
- Powered by the ultra duty 713cc OHV V-Twin Westinghouse Engine constructed with a durable cast iron sleeve
- Push-Button Electric Start pairs with a key fob for seamless Remote Start
- Weighing 352 lb. with as low as 74 dBA operating volume
- Safely powers sensitive electronics such as laptop computers, cell phones, and more with less than 5% THD
- OUTLETS :
- 2x 5-20R household duplex outlets, 1x L5-30R
- 1x Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 120/240-Volt twist-lock
- 1x 120/240V 14-50R
- 1x USB ports with rubber outlet covers
- VFT display gives you real time updates with the voltage output, frequency, and lifetime hours
- Smart Idle automatically lowers idle speed with no load to enhance fuel efficiency and extend run times
- Low oil shutdown, automatic voltage regulation and overload protection
Intro — Hurricane Generators
In truth, these generators are recommended for any natural disasters. Most people don’t realize how helpless they are until the power goes down. Just imagine no power for days, weeks or months. Having a generator (and fuel) will keep you self-reliant when you’re on your own.
WEN 56475: Best Cheap Hurricane Generator
SHIPS FAST — Affordable 4750W (Peak)
Great value as WEN makes affordable generators that are well made and reliable. This is a small portable generator but when a hurricane is coming it can be hard to get a generator in time. This model ships fast. Highly recommended.
- Digital readout helps manage oil changes and maintenance schedule
- Features electric start, low-oil shutdown, an automatic voltage regulator and overload protection to maximize safety
- CARB & EPA III meet requirements for sale in all 50 states
- Includes wheel kit and foldable handles for easy transport
- 223cc engine provides 4750 surge watts and 3750 rated watts
Best Dual-Fuel Hurricane Generator: Westinghouse iGen4500
Quiet power. Dual Fuel allows you to choose gas or propane when fuel is scarce
Ships fast! When buying a portable generator to prepare for an incoming hurricane you need to make sure that the model you buy will arrive in time. There’s no point in spending money on something that won’t arrive before you need it. Unfortunately, most people wait until it’s too late before they order their hurricane. You can’t order the day before the hurricane is going to be in your neighborhood.
The time to prepare and buy is now. You can’t wait to be 100% sure the hurricane will come your way because as soon as they announce landfall, everybody in your area will also be trying to buy a generator and they will sell out fast. It happens every year. If you’re reading this and you’re concerned about the hurricanes forming in the Gulf of Mexico, then you should be buying a generator right now, not tomorrow or in a few hours.
- Bring power to your home during a power outage or recreational activities
- 4500 peak watts, 3700 running watts and runs for up to 18 hours on a 3.4 gal. gas tank
- Enhanced fuel efficiency – variable engine speeds allow 30% to 50% higher fuel efficiency than a traditional generator
- Compact and powerful design – features telescoping handle and never-flat wheels for easy portability at 104.7 lb.
- Remote start (key fob) and push button start make this generator convenient to operate
- Super quiet – as low as 52 dBA with double-insulated acoustic enclosure, asymmetrical cooling fans, and low tone mufflers to reduce operating noise
- Safely powers sensitive electronics such as laptop computers, cell phones and more
- Real-time LED display with runtime, remaining fuel, load/output, volts and lifetime hours data
- RV Ready TT-30R outlet keeps this compact generator versatile for campgrounds, tailgates, and other outdoor festivities
- All Westinghouse portable generators are functionally tested in the factory and may contain minimum residual oil and/or fuel odor
Read our Guide on the most effective flood barriers, including sandbags
Best Tri-Fuel Generator for Hurricanes: DuroMax XP13000HXT
Features / DuroMax XP13000HXT
- Tri fuel technology: Gas, Propane or Natural Gas
- Gas: 13,000W Start / 10,500W Running
- Propane: 12,000W Start / 9500W Running
- Natural Gas: 10,000W Start / 8500W Running
- Ideal for home backup: Has a 50 Amp plug that hooks up directly to your home via a transfer switch
- Powerful 500 cc OHV engine
- CO alert: Generator will shut off automatically when unsafe levels of carbon monoxide is detected
- Push button start and remote start
- Advanced computer Panel: View the gas gauge, load gauge, as well as the voltage, frequency and time used
- OUTLETS: 4X 120-Volt 20 Amp GFCI outlets, 1X 120-Volt 30 Amp twist lock, 1X 120-Volt/240-Volt 30 Amp twist lock and 1X 120-Volt/240-Volt 50 Amp heavy-duty outlet
- 100% copper windings
- All-metal construction: built tough
- Approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board)
- 5-year warranty
The DuroMax XP13000HXT is the ultimate hurricane generator because it solves one of the biggest problems people have after a hurricane. The problem is getting your hands on fuel to run the generator. Ideally you stock up on fuel long before a hurricane but if you wait until the last minute to buy a generator then you’re simply not going to be prepared.
This can run off of gasoline, propane or natural gas. Gasoline can’t be stored long-term so I wouldn’t even consider gas if you’re preparing for a hurricane or other natural disaster. Propane is great because they can be stored indefinitely and they come in their own heavy duty canister. These canisters come in a wide variety of sizes. As long as you store them safely and in a manner that they won’t be destroyed or floated away during a hurricane then you’ll be in good hands.
What I love about this Duromax Tri-fuel is that it’s very well made and it has enough power to run your entire room. You get 9500W or running power off of propane and 10,500W from gas. It’s enough power for a normal home. This is the biggest tri-fuel generator you can buy. Champion also makes a great 11KW Tri-fuel.
In this article we give you a range of options to allow you to choose the Best Hurricane Generator for your specific needs. If you live in an area where hurricanes are probable, or likely then you would be wise to invest your money into a hurricane generator to get you through the days and weeks that follow. Most people wait for a disaster to strike before taking action but in the case of a hurricane, you really need to prepare beforehand because you won’t be able to find a generator locally in the days before a hurricane is predicated or in the weeks after it arrives.
I hope this article inspires you to plan ahead and choose a hurricane generator to match your budget and power needs.
Preparing for Hurricane Season
Hurricane season is upon us. If you haven’t started preparing for the storms, you shouldn’t delay it any longer. This article should serve as your one stop hurricane preparation guide, starting with a review of the best hurricane generators. We’ll feature a wide range of generator products that will keep the lights on when the powerlines go down.
Whether you’re looking for a large standby generator to keep your whole house supplied with electric power, or something smaller to keep the essential equipment powered up during a hurricane, we’ve searched for the ideal solutions for every circumstance. Following the hurricane generator review, we’ll also provide the essential hurricane checklist and all the advice you could possibly want when preparing for a hurricane.
VIDEO | What you Need for the 2024 Hurricane Season
Reviews — Best Hurricane Generator
Here’s a quick reference to the generators that I’ll be reviewing, as some of your best options for a hurricane generator.
- Mid-range Dual-Fuel Generator — Westinghouse WGEN7500DF
- Keep the refrigerator running during a hurricane — WEN 56225i
- Quiet & Powerful Inverter Generator — Honda EU7000iS
- Cheap Hurricane Generator that will get you through the night: Champion 46597
- Affordable Heavy-Duty Dual Fuel Generator: DuroMax XP12000EH
- Indoor Generator, battery power station for small electrical devices: Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium
- Ultimate Hurricane Generator (Standby Generators): Generac 7043
This list comprises some excellent value hurricane generators, as well as some of the very best options, for those who have more money to spend.
Westinghouse WGEN7500DF — Dual-Fuel Generator
Ideal for hurricanes and other natural disasters, when fuel is scarce you’ll want the option of using gas or propane to run your generator. Propane can be stored indefinitely whereas gas has a limited shelf-life of about a year.
- Dual Fuel – gasoline or propane
- Gasoline: 9,500 peak watts and 7,500 running watts
- Propane: 8,550 peak watts and 6,750 running watts
- Push Button and Remote Start
- Up to 10 Hours of Run Time at 50% Load
- 420cc, OHV Engine with Cast Iron Sleeve
- 3-Year Warranty and Lifetime Technical Support
- EPA, CSA, CARB Compliant
- 6.6 Gallon Gas Fuel Tank w/ Gauge (Propane Tank NOT Included); Electric Push Button Start with Remote Key Fob
- Intuitive Control Panel Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household
- Duplex Outlets and One L14-30 120/240V 30A Twist-Lock Outlet (Common for Transfer Switch Hookup)
- Plug-and-Play! Includes Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, Funnel, Tool Kit, and User’s
- Manual – Everything You Need to Get Started Right Out of the Box
- 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- EPA, CARB, and CSA Compliant; Backed By a 3-Year Warranty
Documents for for the Westinghouse WGen7500DF.
- ✓ View or download the MANUAL
- ✓ View or download the SPEC SHEET
- ✓ View or download the QUICK START GUIDE
If common sense practicality, and value for money is your thing, then Westinghouse WGEN7500DF may well be your number one choice for a great backup generator during the hurricane season. The Westinghouse brand has certainly won me over for their outstanding quality, durability, and very reasonable prices. In a nutshell, incredible value for money.
Being a dual fuel (hybrid) generator, the Westinghouse WGEN7500DF has a great advantage as one of the best hurricane generators. When gas is in short supply, as so often happens during a hurricane, you can use propane as an alternative fuel supply.
The Westinghouse 420cc (13HP), OHV, 4-stroke engine is superb. It is one of the most fuel efficient generator engines, providing 11-hours runtime (at 50% load) from a 6.6-gallon gas tank. A 20-pound propane tank, at 25% generator load, will also last for about 11-hours. This is also a clean engine and is CARB, EPA, and CSA compliant. The Pulse-Flo muffler is world class, noise levels can be as low as 74dBA, well above average for a large, open frame generator.
Power output is sufficient to keep most of your household electrical equipment functioning during an outage: 9,500 peak watts and 7,500 running watts when using gas; 8,550 peak watts and 6,750 running watts for propane. Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is less than 23%, and the generator has an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR).
Considering the ultra-tough (1¼”) full wrap around steel tubing frame, and general rugged build quality with plenty of steel protection plates, this is a reasonably lightweight generator at 194 LBS. The inclusion of a 10” never-flat wheel kit, and foam covered handle help when it comes to portability.
VIDEO | A Closer Look at the Westinghouse WGen7500DF
The Westinghouse WGEN7500DF has most of the outlets for the home (transfer switch ready), jobsite, or RV: 2 X duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI outlets, 1 X 120V/240V (L14-30R) outlet, and 2 X 5VDC USB ports. I’d prefer to have seen a 50A 120V/240 AC outlet, as this would be more practical when using a transfer switch for the home. RV use is also not ideal, as this generator doesn’t have a 120V 30A (RV style) output.
A nice additional feature is the remote control fob, that allows you to switch the generator on from a distance of 109-yards. A great benefit in a storm. The WGEN7500DF has the usual electric starter and recoil starter setup.
I can’t think of a better hurricane generator for under $800. I would almost call this an industrial grade generator, but not quite. It is one of the best home generators and is tough enough for most jobsite applications. The 3-year residential (1-year commercial) warranty is more than one would expect for a generator in this price range.
WEN 56225i — Inverter Generator
Excellent value. Clean energy. Safely power your sensitive electronics. Quiet. Affordable. Built in economy mode automatically adjusts power depending on your power load. Enough power to keep your fridge running (check the wattage to be sure). One of the best small and affordable hurricane generators for the money.
- EPA III and CARB-Compliant 79.7cc 4-Stroke OHV engine produces 2250 surge watts and 1800 rated watts
- Extremely quiet 53 dB operation comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to safely operate sensitive electronics such as smartphones, tablets, televisions and computers
- Includes two three-prong 15A 120V receptacles, two 5V USB ports, an oil access panel, and a two-year warranty
✓ View or download the MANUAL for the WEN 56225i.
In the world of domestic power supply, few can beat WEN portable generators for good basic quality and affordability. The WEN 56225i is one of the few cheap inverter generators worth considering. I wouldn’t recommend this little generator for heavy-duty jobsite conditions. But as a basic power supply for the home during an emergency, like a hurricane, it’s worth every dime of its very reasonable price tag.
The WEN 56225i is an inverter generator with less than 1.3 THD at full load. This makes it the ideal small generator for the home. It won’t harm the myriad of electronic devices that are common in most modern homes. It has the added advantage of being wonderfully fuel efficient and blissfully quiet. Like most inverter generators, the WEN 56225i has ports for parallel connection, allowing you to expand your power output by using more than one WEN generator in tandem. It also has an economy mode to reduce fuel consumption at lower loads, as well as noise levels. You get an astounding 6-hours runtime (at 50% rated load) from the 1-gallon gas tank. The noise level of 53dBA is quieter than someone speaking next to you.
While this is not the most powerful portable generator, with a peak capacity of 2,250W and 1800 watts of running power, it will keep a single refrigerator running, along with basic lights, your TV, stereo, and laptop. The upside to this small size, and a lightweight 79cc engine, is that the WEN 56225i weighs only 48.5 LBS.
With this kind of output, there is no need for high-amp outlets for a transfer switch or RV. So, it has 2 X 15A 120V household outlets and 2 X USB outlets. There is also no electric starter, though with an engine this size, there really is no need, the WEN generator starts easily using the recoil starter.
It’s great to have the advantage of pure sine wave inverter power at such an affordable price. This lightweight, quiet generator is easy to take anywhere, and will keep your essentials powered up during a hurricane.
✓ Hurricane Watch : Monitor the NOAA site for active hurricanes.
Honda EU7000iS | BEST Hurricane Generator
If I had to choose one generator to have in my garage, this would be it. Yes, it's expensive but it truly is the best portable hurricane generator you can buy. It's an inverter generator which puts out 5500W of clean and quiet power (7000w starting). Honda has truly made a wonderful (and useful) generator for a wide range of applications, including for emergencies such as hurricanes. Amazing generator if you can afford it.
- Starting Watts : 7000W / Running Watts : 5500W (120/240V)
- Engine : Honda GX390 EFI
- Perfect for home back up power, RVs, outdoor events, and more
- Super quiet : Operates at 52 to 60 dBA
- Fuel efficient - Runs up to 18 hours on 5.1 gal of fuel
- Convenient electric start
- Inverter - stable power for computers and more
- Fuel injected - better fuel efficiency and lower maintenance
- Advanced inverter technology - reliable power for computers and other sensitive equipment
- handles that can be raised for transport and lowered for more compact storage.
- i-Monitor provides information on hours of operation, wattage and engine speed, as well as diagnostics for convenient dealer servicing.
- Outlets : Two GFCI 20 amp, 120 V duplex outlets
- Meets ETL and NEC standards.
- 3 year residential and commercial warranty
- Choose between using both 120 and 240 Volts, or 120 Volts only.
- Electronic circuit breakers
I consider the Honda EU7000iS to be the very best portable generator ever made. Many an esteemed expert seem to agree with this. Then again, at close to $5,000, anyone would expect a lot from this machine. It is, to the best of my knowledge, the most powerful inverter generator that you can buy. With 7,000 peak watts and a rated running capacity of 5,500W, you can continue using most of your household electrical equipment with little compromise. You’re also assured of pure sine wave, low HD power for your electronics.
Built tough, with the ultimately reliable and durable Honda GX390 (389cc) engine, this generator is a long term investment. Unlike the sleek, lightweight enclosure that is common to most modern quiet inverter generators, the Honda is enclosed using sturdy steel panels inside a rugged metal frame. Make no mistake, this is a remarkably quiet generator producing only 58dBA at the rated load, as low as 52dBA at 25% load. Almost unbelievable for a generator this powerful. The downside to all this heavy-duty metal and sound insulation is the weight of 261-pounds. Large, extremely tough, all terrain wheels and great fold down handles do make this generator portable enough.
Fuel efficiency is unbeatable, for a mighty 7KW generator. The 5.1-gallon gas tank will keep the Honda supplying 25% rated load for around 18-hours. At 50% load, expect around 6.5-hours runtime. Naturally, you have the convenience of an electric and recoil starter, as well as a reasonable array of electric outlets: 2 X duplex 125V 20A outlets with GFCI protection, a 125V 30A twist lock outlet, and a 125V/250V 30A twist lock outlet. It can be used to supply an RV, or transfer switch to your house wiring. However, I find it quite disappointing, especially at this price, that it does not have a 50A 125V/250V outlet for a transfer switch. It also has a comprehensive digital display for critical system information.
When you’re paying this much for a generator, you are obviously going to expect the very best. I believe that Honda has met this challenge. The solid build quality, and expert Honda service, should mean years, more like decades, of reliable backup power for countless hurricanes, on a jobsite, or when camping. Honda is one the few generator manufacturers that offer a 3-year warranty for both residential and commercial use. A worthy testament to their legendary durability and service.
Get A Generator with Wheels! — Briggs & Stratton 30679 (8000W)
✓ Recommended Reading : Hurricane Preparedness Guide from Ready.gov
A-iPower SUA12000E — 12,000-Watt
Recommended Hurricane Generator.
- 12,000 starting watts/ 9,000 running watts with electric start
- 1.2inch (32mm) dia. rigid tubular steel frame with attractive silver grey powder coat finish
- 7.0 gallon, large heavy duty all steel construction fuel tank provides up to 9 hours of run time at 50% load
- Effortless Move. Large 9.5in never-flat wheels designed for heavy duty loads and improved traction and mobility over rough terrain, ultimate on the job mobility
- GFCI Protected Outlets provides added protection and safety under damp condition
- Built-in DC Adapter Plug. Built for charge your battery or use with your USB adapter to charge your cellphone. DC charging cables included.
Read our dedicated review to this A-iPower generator.
Champion 46597 | Cheap Hurricane Generator
Best cheap (inexpensive) hurricane generator to get you through the night and keep your fridge running plus much more. Overall, a good dependable generator from Champion.
- Fuel Tank – 3.8 Gallon (14.4 L)
- RV Ready - Equipped with a standard 30A outlet, enough power to start and run a 15,000 BTU RV air conditioner
- Intelligauge - Monitor voltage, frequency and operating hours with ease
- Runs up to 12 hrs. on a full tank of gas
- Rugged & Portable – Durable steel frame with folding handle and never-flat tires
- Voltmeter - Displays power output
- Cold Start - Optimized to start easily in cold weather
- Noise Level – 68 dBA from 23 ft.
Buying a cheap generator is not always the best idea. You can’t always trust unknown brands, no matter how irresistible the price may be. This is where Champion Power equipment has won over the American public for many years, offering affordable machines of a good quality standard. The Champion 46597 can never compete alongside heavy-duty machines. It is however, a delightfully cheap portable generator and perfectly capable of meeting your residential and camping power supply requirements.
The peak output of 4,000W (3,500 running watts) is ample to keep you comfortable during an outage and is great for the RV. The 196cc engine is remarkably solid for a generator this cheap, with a cast iron sleeve for added durability. It’s not too quiet, at 68dBA, but still reasonable. You also don’t have the luxury of an electric starter, but the clever cold start technology ensures easy starting in all weather.
This generator is about as cheap to run, as it is to buy. The 3.8-gallon gas tank won’t cost much to fill and will provide 12-hours runtime at 50% of the rated load. It has all the basic outlets for a generator of this size: a 120V household outlet, a 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and a 120V 30A RV outlet. An old-fashioned analog voltmeter displays output voltage. The spec list specifies an Intelligauge with more output info, but I don’t see this on the generator.
The weight of 107.8-pounds is perfectly reasonable, and it has a solid wheel kit, with a fold down handle for improved portability. The metal tubing frame seems to be strong and shouldn’t rust too easily.
You won’t find any bells and whistles on the Champion 46597 portable generator. At such a low price, this a good thing. Your money is better spent on areas where it counts, like a reliable and durable engine. Few cheap generator manufacturers, if any, offer the same 3-year warranty as Champion does. This is a good indication that you’re not wasting your money on cheap junk.
DuroMax XP12000EH | Propane & Gas
Best dual-fuel hurricane generator. A Dual-Fuel generator is perfect for when fuel is scarce, such as the days and weeks following any type of disaster. Propane can be stored indefinitely whereas gas has a limited shelf life.
- Plenty of Power – With 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Dual Fuel Technology – This generator runs on gasoline or propane giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice. Why Dual Fuel? Learn more about Dual Fuel Technology CLICK HERE
- Powerful 18HP Engine – The DuroMax 457cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools.
- Idle Control – Lowers the RPMs of the generator when not in use saving fuel and reducing noise. Ideal in situations like on job sites where power is used intermittently.
- MX2 Technology - Get the maximum power from each of the 120 Volt Receptacle. Choose between operating the generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power. Ideal for usage with Rv’s.
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low.
- Fully Featured Power Panel – The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 2 120V household GFCI outlets, 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet, 1 240V 30A outlet, and 1 240V 50A outlet. The panel also includes a voltmeter and 12V DC charging posts for charging external batteries.
- Complies with Emissions Standards – All DuroMax generators are both approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board) and follow strict guidelines to ensure our generators are as environmentally friendly as possible.
- DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Electric Start Generator.
- 12V Generator Battery.
- Generator Wheel Kit.
- Generator Tool Kit.
- DuroMax Operating Manual.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is not only a well-made heavy-duty generator that will leave you in good standing when a hurricane strikes, it is also very affordable for a portable generator this powerful. The extra-strong metal frame and steel wheel rims indicate a high standard of durability. The fact that this is a hybrid (dual Fuel) generator, with a high output, makes it one of the best hurricane generators for home use.
With 12,000 peak watts and 9,500 running watts when running on gas, you should have no problem meeting most of your household electricity needs during a power outage. Even when using propane, you have a good deal of power – 11,400W peak output and 9,025W rated power continuously. The powerful, and rugged, 457cc 4-stroke engine is CARB compliant, but isn’t too fuel efficient. The gas tank is larger than most (8.3-gallons) which will provide 8.8-hours runtime at 50% load. It is also quite heavy at 260-pounds. Though this is to be expected from a tough, heavy-duty generator. It has really good wheels and dual fold down handles for portability.
The DuroMax XP12000EH has an electric, as well as recoil starter, and all the power outlets that you need. It’s good to see a 50A 120V/240V twist lock outlet as this generator has the goods to deliver a lot of power to the home and is ideal for use with a transfer switch. It also has 2 X 120V 20A GFCI outlets, a 30A 120V outlet, a 120V/240V 30A outlet (both are of the twist lock variety), and a 12VDC battery charging outlet. An analog voltmeter shows the output voltage. This is, however, quite a noisy beast, reaching 74dBA.
VIDEO | A Closer Look at the DuroMax XP12000EH
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a dependable machine with an output higher than most portable generators. It comes in at really good price for a heavy-duty dual fuel generator and has a 3-year warranty.
✓ Read our comprehensive review of the DuroMax XP12000EH.
Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium
Safely use indoors. This is a battery-powered generator. It's completely silent, no fumes and can be used inside. They also come in larger sizes, equaling small gas generators : Goal Zero 1400 and the Goal Zero 3000.
- Quiet, portable power station recharges from the sun with a Goal Zero solar panel (sold separately) or from a wall outlet
- More powerful than its predecessors, the Yeti 400 features increased surge allowances, advanced battery protection, user-replaceable lithium battery pack and longer shelf life
- 1425Wh lithium portable power station can power up to 10 devices at once (single cell equivalent capacity: 396Ah @3.6V)
- Patented AC inverter (output, pure sine wave) and 60W USB-C power delivery ports
- WiFi connectivity, simply connect a Yeti through your WiFi router and control it remotely using the Yeti App
- Charge a wide range of devices, such as : phones, tablets, laptops, cameras, drones, and more. Powers your refrigerator, blender, TV, lights, power tools and medical devices
- Using the App : check battery level, power in and out, even turn ports on and off, all from the palm of your hand.
- 428-Wh battery capacity with 39.6Ah and 10.8V is ideal for powering lights, smartphones, tablets, laptops, a mini fridge, TV and portable medical devices
- 4 USB power outputs and 2 AC power outputs let you power up multiple devices at the same time
- Fully charged, the Yeti 400 offers the following approximate power: headlamp (100 charges); smartphone (30+ charges); laptop (3-5 charges; tablet (10+ charges)
- ✓ View or download the MANUAL for the Yeti 400 LITHIUM.
An indoor generator, like the Goal Zero Yeti 400, is very convenient during a hurricane. Because there is no gas engine, it’s safe to use indoors. No going out in the rain to start your generator, no extensions cords, no noise. Though it does have its limitations.
This is not really a generator, in the conventional sense of the word. The Goal Zero Yeti does not generate electricity, but rather stores power in a battery for when you need it. It consists of a pure sine wave inverter/charger with a peak output of 1,200W and a continuous output capacity of 300W. It charges the 428 Watt-Hour (WH) lithium ion battery using the mains power, with the option of using the Boulder 50 Solar kit to charge the battery when the sun is out. Though, in a hurricane, using the sun to charge your generator, might not be the best idea. Using the wall charger, your battery will charge in about 7-hours. With good sunlight, the solar charger will take about 16-hours to charge the battery to full.
VIDEO OVERVIEW | Goal Zero YETI 400 Lithium
The limitations of using battery backup during a hurricane are obvious. You don’t have too much standby time before you need to recharge the battery. You could keep LED lights going for a few days. Though even a 42” plasma TV would probably drain the battery within a couple of hours. So, the Goal Zero Yeti 400 is great for supplying hassle-free emergency power for low-watt appliances, over a limited period of time. You’ll need to monitor your power usage, perhaps switching less essential equipment off as the batter level drops. Fortunately, the goal zero has a large LCD display, giving you all the information that you’ll need. It even estimates the remaining battery time, based on the load that you’re drawing from the inverter.
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium is great, in that it is virtually silent, and emission-free. With the addition of a solar kit, you could keep the lights on with little or no interruptions. This is provided you have the available sunlight. The pure sine wave PWM inverter is perfect for electronic equipment.
Generac 7043 | Stand-by Generator
This will get you through any disaster.
- Natural Gas or LP Gas Operation
- Mobile Link Remote Monitoring FREE with every Guardian Series Home standby generator Allows you to monitor the status of your generator from anywhere in the world using a smartphone, tablet, or PC. Easily access information, such as the current operating status and maintenance alerts. Connect your account to your authorized service dealer for fast, friendly and proactive service. With Mobile Link, you are taken care of before the next power outage.
- Up to whole house protection with the 200-amp, NEMA 3R (aluminum outdoor enclosure) smart switch.
- 5 Year Limited Warranty for automatic standby generators.
- True Power Technology delivers best-in-class power quality with less than 5 percent total harmonic distortion for clean, smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances.
- Generac generators and engines are engineered and assembled in the USA*.
*Assembled in the USA using domestic and foreign parts
- Generac's G-Force Engine is a purpose-built, pressure-lubricated engine capable of handling the rigors of generator use, resulting in power that’s more reliable and requires less routine maintenance than any competitive engine. Learn more about the G‑Force Engine »
- Quiet-Test Self-Test Mode runs at a lower RPM for a five or twelve minute test, making generators significantly quieter than other brands while consuming less fuel.
- 24/7/365 Customer Support Team standing by all day, every day from our headquarters in Wisconsin to answer any questions you might have.
- Our RhinoCoat powder-coated finish helps make corrosion-resistant aluminum perfect for all weather conditions.
- Generac’s Evolution Controller features a multilingual LCD display that allows users to monitor battery status and track maintenance intervals to ensure your generator is always in top operating condition.
- True Power™ Electrical Technology
- Two Line LCD Multilingual DigitalEvolution Controller (English/Spanish/ French/Portuguese)
- Two Transfer Switch Options Available: 100 Amp, 16 Circuit Switch or 200 Amp Service Rated Smart Switch.
- Electronic Governor
- Standard Wi-Fi™ Remote Monitoring
- System Status & Maintenance Interval LED Indicators
- Sound Attenuated Enclosure
- Flexible Fuel Line Connector
- Direct-To-Dirt Composite Mounting Pad
- 5 Year Limited Warranty
A home back-up (stand-by) generator is the ultimate hurricane and/or emergency generator. It will deliver continuous power as soon as your power goes out.
A standby generator, like the Generac 7043, is the ideal solution for home backup power during an outage. This model generates 22KW, enough to supply an entire mid-sized home. Though, standby generators tend to be prohibitively expensive. The good news is that Generac home standby generators aren’t too expensive, and with a 5-year warranty, you can be assured that you’re getting the type of durability you want. You’ll probably be paying a little over $5,000 for the Generac 7043 22KW standby generator with a 200A automatic transfer switch. You’ll also need a professional installation, which will increase the cost.
VIDEO | A Closer Look : Hear the Noise Level — Generac 7043
You are getting a lot extra for your money, compared to using a portable generator. You have a lot more power, a generator like this will have no problem supplying a central air conditioner, or central heating furnace, along with water heaters, and all your regular electrical equipment.
The fact that this generator is fully automated is another reason why it may be worth paying more for. Using an automatic transfer switch, the Generac 7043 will automatically start when the power fails. It will switch from mains power to generator backup without you having to do a thing. When the grid power is restored, it will automatically switch back to mains power and shut the generator down.
Heavy-Duty Stand-By Generator
The Generac G-Power engine is designed specifically for this application. It is incredibly reliable and has electronic self-testing. True Power technology ensures clean power for your electronic equipment, with less than 5% THD. This is really the full package when it comes to effortlessly supplying emergency electricity to your home.
Weighing up the convenience of a fully automated standby generator, against the extra investment, it can be worth it. The Generac 7043 will allow you to keep all the creature comforts working during a hurricane, with the least amount of effort. When considering this option, you also need to keep in mind the extra cost of keeping the generator fueled. It is much thirstier than small portable generators.
Guide to Hurricane Preparation
Hardly a day goes by that we don’t see some mention of climate change. On popular websites, social media, and the TV news, the effects and causes of climate change are a hot topic. No one seems to agree on the exact causes of climate change, but I think we can all agree that it is happening all around us. The evidence is clear.
We’ve noticed in recent times is that hurricanes are becoming more frequent, are growing in intensity, and cover a larger area, affecting more people every year. Now, more than ever, it’s important to understand hurricanes and what to do in the event of a catastrophic storm. You have to deal with winds strong enough to demolish a house, flooding, and power outages. The key is to be prepared and know what you’re in for.
When does hurricane season start?
Officially, the Atlantic hurricane season starts on the 1st of June and continues through to the 30th of November. The Central Pacific hurricane season falls within the same time period. But the weather is becoming harder to predict, not that anyone has ever got it precisely correct. In 2020 the first Atlantic hurricane (Subtropical Storm Andrea) started on May the 20th 2020. Hurricanes can occur long after the official November end period, continuing into January. Hurricanes don’t observe the rules. It’s always best to keep up to date by watching the weather reports or listening to the weather stations in your area.
VIDEO | Outlook for the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season
The Essential Hurricane Preppers’ Checklist
The CDC has compiled a comprehensive guide on Preparedness and Safety Messaging for Hurricanes. You can download the complete Hurricane Preparedness Guide from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Though, for a quick reference, you might want to keep our hurricane checklist close at hand. It can save your life and protect your family.
Preliminary Preparation for a Hurricane
Do all your hurricane checks in a timely manner, on a regular basis, long before a storm is imminent. The following is your essential pre-hurricane checklist.
Safety First: Stock up on emergency supplies for your home and your car. This would include flashlights and batteries (for the home and car). Other important items for your car should include flares, jumper cables, sleeping bags, and emergency food (like canned goods). Medical supplies for the home and basic emergency kit for the car. Check your emergency first aid kit, making sure that none of the medication has reached (or is close to) expiry date. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, buy one. Ensure that the fire extinguisher service is up to date. Know where the closest hurricane shelter is and plan your emergency evacuation route in the event of the worst happening. Post all emergency phone numbers where they are easily accessible.
Food Supply: Make sure you have enough non-perishable food, like canned goods, dehydrated food, long life milk, etc. Check the expiry date for this food. Have at least 3-day’s supply of food for you, your family, and your pets, up to two weeks is better. Try keep food that requires little water and heating to prepare, as utilities may go down during a hurricane.
Fresh water: Storing water before a hurricane is vital to your survival. Filling the bathtub and other containers can be enough for cleaning and basic hygiene. For each person in the home, keep 1-gallon of clean drinking water per day. Keep enough water for a minimum of three days, ideally two weeks.
Fuel, Power, and Heat: It is a good idea to have an emergency generator for at least basic power. You will want to keep up to date with regard to the weather, this will require power. At at very least a battery, or self-powered radio is needed. Ensure that your generator is good working order. Fill the car with gas and keep emergency gas in cans. Check that you have propane for cooking and heating. Make sure that all rechargeable batteries are fully charged and functioning.
Prepare your Home: Secure windows with shutters or nailing boards to cover all windows. Do the same for exterior doors where possible. Check that your CO detector is working properly. Be prepared to shut of the electrical and gas supply.