In 2019, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher is still one of the best chainsaws for homeowners and farmers — and that’s not hyperbole. I started ‘Chainsaw Journal’ on August 18th, 2014 and the 455 Rancher was a top selling chainsaw even back then — that was over 5 years ago — and it’s still a best seller.
Why? Because it’s very well-made, reliable and provides enough power (55.5cc) to handle almost everything most homeowners require.
Want an alternative, not as expensive : Consider the Remington Outlaw RM4620 (20″ bar and chain, 46cc)
✓ Read customer reviews on Amazon, and decide for yourself.
Unless you’re a professional logger, the Husqvarna Rancher series is more than enough chainsaw to satisfy your needs.
A common question people search for online is : What’s the difference between a regular Husqvarna, such as the 450 vs the 450 Rancher vs the ‘E’ model. The same is true for the 455 models. If curious, read more about the variations in our dedicated article on the topic.
- Made for landowners or homeowners who need to cut firewood and/or fell large trees. Versatile power.
- 55. 5cc — 20″ gas chainsaw with guide bar and chain
- 2 cycle engine with intertia activated chain brake
- Bar and chain oil must be purchased Separately
- Automatic chain oiler delivers
- Simple, side-mounted chain tensioning system
- The quick-release air filter
- X-torque engine lowers fuel consumption & reduces emissions
► We’ve updated our comprehensive GUIDE on the BEST Chainsaws for Homeowners for September — 2019. Check it out. Our latest recommendations. Plenty of new chainsaws.
There’s no doubt that Husqvarna is at the top when it comes down to quality but not everyone can afford a Husqvarna, or perhaps you don’t need to use your chainsaw on a regular basis. It’s good to have other options to consider. Consider the Remington Outlaw below, which is actually very well made, with die-cast chassis, 5-point anti-vibration and other pro-grade materials. If you’re on a budget, it’s a great choice.
★ Alternative Gas Chainsaw (cheaper) : Remington RM4620
- Powered by a 46cc 2-cycle engine
- Equipped with an 20-inch bar and chain
- QuickStart technology to make pull starts easier
- ★ 5-point anti-vibration system
- Comfy : Cushion wrap handle
- Side-access chain tensioner
- Automatic oiler
- Tool-free access
- 2-year limited warranty
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher can be considered a professional-grade chainsaw, or maybe a better way to put it is that it’s at the high-end of consumer chainsaws; capable of handling almost anything you throw at it around the home or farm. Perfect for landowners or casual weekend warriors who need a heavy-duty chainsaw for a wide variety of tasks. It’s been engineered for comfort and power and if you don’t believe me just read what customers have to say, whether through the Husqvarna site or Amazon, or better yet, read the Consumer Reports review.
Video | A Closer look at the Husqvarna 455 Rancher
If you purchase this Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw (or any other 2-stroke, gasoline-powered product from Husqvarna) along with 3 of their 32 ounce cans of Husqvarna pre-mixed 2-Stroke fuel and oil, and your consumer warranty will be extended from 2 years to 4 years. Read the full details of the Husqvarna warranty program. Make sure you register your product online.
Note: The 2-stroke fuel purchase has to be on the same purchase order (receipt) so make sure you buy it together.
The Husqvarna Rancher 455 is packed full of features to make your life easier. It has a fast cutting speed, allowing you to get a lot of work done in less time. Like all Husqvarna chainsaws, it uses the proprietary X-Torq engine, which has reduced emissions, good fuel economy, providing you with a refined and efficient cutting experience. You can read an overview of all the features at the end of this review, as well as visually see the main features of the Rancher 455.
I know I said this is a professional chainsaw but don’t expect it to compete with fully-professional logging chainsaws, such as the STIHL 241 C-M, the Husqvarna 562XP or the Husqvarna 372 XP. What’s the difference? Well, more power; a extra heavy-duty crankcase, crankshaft, and a carburetor that has vibration dampening allowing it to handle fast speeds and demanding loads. These are true pro chainsaws intended for loggers, or anyone who needs to fell large trees on a regular basis.
Cutting Test | Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Professional chainsaws begin in the 70cc territory and the Rancher only has 55.5cc. You need the raw engine power for a professional grade chainsaw, but make no mistake, the 455 Rancher is an excellent chainsaw for the money and for the average homeowner you’d be hard-pressed to find a better chainsaw in the $400 price range.
The fuel tank is on the small side at 14.88 fl oz, which means you may have to fill your gas tank every 30 minutes or so. Unfortunately, every product has drawbacks but overall, the quality on this Rancher is extremely high.
Video | Starting the Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Another reminder: Make sure you keep your chain sharp when working because a dull chain will make your gas chainsaw feel like an electric. Seriously, a sharp inexpensive chainsaw can out-cut a powerful chainsaw with a dull chain. Learn how to sharpen your chain and you’ll be far more productive.
If you need a little more power than you can get the slightly more powerful Husqvarna 460 Rancher with a 60.3cc engine.
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher isn’t meant for limbing as it’s too heavy and it will tire you out but for cutting firewood and felling trees it’s the perfect chainsaw to have around the yard. As always, practice safety every step of the way. And if you don’t need a powerful chainsaw then read these articles to see the other cheaper options available to you:
- Homeowner Chainsaws
- Electric Chainsaws
- Battery Chainsaws
- Cheap Chainsaws
- Best Chainsaw for the Money
- WORX Chainsaw
- Blue Max Chainsaw
Let’s move on to the features of the 455 Rancher.
Great Features | Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Features (Husqvarna 455 Rancher):
- 20-inch. 55.5cc engine. 3.5 hp.
- 12.8 lbs (excluding bar and chain).
- X-Torq Engine: Designed to reduce emissions while providing lower fuel consumption. Watch video.
- Quick-release air filter: Easy to clean and replace, when needed.
- Convenient combination of choke/stop system, allowing easy starting while reducing the chance of flooding the engine.
- Air Injected Centrifugal air cleaning system keeps large dust particles and debris out while improving engine life.
- Side-mounted chain tensioning system for easy access.
- Durable 3 piece crankshaft.
- Ergonomic front handle provides a comfortable grip while reducing fatigue.
- LowVib System greatly reduces vibration and minimizes fatigue.
- Adjustable oil pump enables you to control the amount of lubrication depending on your needs.
- Felling marks help you fell trees with precision.
- Smart Start: The Husqvarna 455 Rancher is engineered to be easy to start with minimal effort.
- Air Purge: Makes starting easier by clearing air from the carburetor and fuel system.
- Inertia activated chain brake for increased safety and reducing the chance of kickback.
- CARB compliant.
Is The Husqvarna 455 Rancher Right For You?
If you have a need to fell large trees and/or cut a lot of firewood then I’d say that the 455 Rancher is the best chainsaw for the money for homeowners and farmers. This saw is well-constructed with fast cutting speeds and engineered with excellent features at a very reasonable price.
A very popular and well-reviewed high-end consumer grade chainsaw that has gained the respect and admiration of countless consumers. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with this chainsaw but if you don’t need a powerful saw then visit the links in this article to see what other, less-powerful and cheaper, chainsaws are available to you.
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher should certainly be at the top of your list if you spend a lot of time cutting wood around the house or farm. You won’t regret the purchase. Make sure you read the manual in full and follow all maintenance procedures to extend the life of your investment, and get the extended warranty for peace of mind.