The Swisher LS22E gives you the best of both worlds in the sense that you get a powerful 22-Ton log splitter powered from your household outlet (⚡️120V). You don’t have to worry about maintenance, there are no fumes to inhale, it’s quiet, AND you can safely use it indoors. Look, I know you were probably looking for the best 25-ton log splitter, but don’t let the the word “electric” fool you. When you look at the data, the Swisher LS22E performs just as good as any 22-Ton gas model. In truth, this is the ultimate design in convenience and ease of use, making it one of the best 22-ton log splitters on the market. Period!
Don’t worry, I have some great recommendations for gas log splitters that will impress you for other reasons. Now back to the Swisher electric…
A few of the highlights from its feature list are that it can split logs up to 25″ long, which is about the same length you be able to split with a 25-ton, give or take an inch. In addition, it has 13 second cycle time which is only one second slower than the Champion 25-Ton splitter. It uses a two-stage pump and direct drive system which enable this electric workhorse to operate quickly and efficiently all day long.
The Swisher LS22E is an Awesome 22-Ton Electric Log Splitter ➤WATCH VIDEO
Did I mention you can use it indoors? I love that! In the middle of winter and you have firewood to split, you can do it in your garage or barn. If you want, you can split firewood in the middle of your living room if you want. The point is, it’s safe and it’s just as good as a gas wood splitter without all of the negative qualities that come with gas power equipment. You know what they are.
Review: Swisher LS22E / Best Heavy-Duty Electric Log Splitter
Use it Indoors. No more spending time in miserable weather splitting firewood.
Everyone has different intentions for the log splitter they are looking to buy, and you’re no different than anybody else. Some people believe that nothing beats a gas log splitter, and you’d be wrong. Electric tools do have limits whereas gas-power does not. You won’t find a 30-ton electric log splitter because a 120V circuit doesn’t have enough amperage to drive 30 tons of force. With gas engines, you can continue to increase the engine size and this is why gas-powered equipment is still superior at the higher end of machinery.
In this case, Swisher has made an en extremely well-engineered log splitter that can split wood up to 25″ in length and it takes 13 seconds for each split. It can be adjusted to work as a vertical splitter or horizontal. This allows you to work optimally depending on the area you’re working in and the size of the logs you’re splitting. One of the main advantages of the vertical position is you can split larger logs and you don’t have to lift the log as you would in the horizontal position.
A great buy in 2023!
Features (Swisher) —
Best 25-Ton Log Splitters / 2023
The next wood splitter on our list of recommendations is special for many reasons. You can always spot a quality piece of machinery when you see that it’s powered by a Honda engine. This is precisely what you get with this 24-ton model from Brave. This heavy-duty 24-ton is powered by a Honda GC160 engine — a 160cc 4-stroke engine that you know will be reliable for a very long time.
Review: Brave VH1724GC / 24-TON
Brave is one of those companies that represents manufacturing from a bygone era, when companies used the best quality components to produce commercial-grade power equipment. This is brave, their machinery is built to be used daily, not a few times every year. The VH1724GC is one of the best 24-ton commercial log splitters on the market and you can see in the photos how rugged this machine is.
The reason you’d buy such a powerful log splitter is because you have a need for high-volume splitting. In this case, the manufacturer rates this model for anyone who intends to go through 2 to 500 cords per season. That’s a wide range but I will add that the primary factors to consider are: the amount of wood you need to split (how many cords?) and how big the logs are. If you only intend to split two cords of wood you can easily get away with a small electric log splitter, like 7 to 10-tons.
On the other hand, if you value your time and you estimate you’ll be splitting over 5 cords of wood this season then I’d say you’re a good candidate for any of these models in this article.
Incidentally, if you’re considering more power, Brave makes 30-Ton log splitter (VH1730GC) that has a more powerful 189cc Honda engine (GC190). It gets you an extra 2-inches of splitting height for a total of 30″ but you lose one second of splitting time. It takes 14 seconds for one cycle.
VIDEO — A Closer look the Brave 24″ wood splitter
Best 3-Point Tractor Log Splitter / 25-Ton
Hydraulic Titan Attachments / LS3PT25
If you have a tractor with a category 1, 3-Point hitch, then this might be a good wood splitter for you. Designed to split wood up to 25″ long and 8.5″ in diameter. There are several different types of log splitters available to consumers, this 3-Point model exploits the hydraulics of your tractor and uses it to drive the log splitter wedge. Why not use what you already have?
It’s essential that you double-check that your tractor is compatible with the requirements of this model, otherwise it won’t work. Check the GPM, PSI
- Fits tractors with a Category 1, 3 Point hitch
- Quick hitch compatible
- Up to 25 Tons of splitting force
- Accepts logs up to 25-inches long and 8.5-inch diameter
- Ideal flow: 8 – 15 GPM
- Ideal pressure: 1,500 PSI
- Max pressure: 2500 PSI
- Weight: 430 lbs.
- Vertical or horizontal orientation with built-in log cradle
- Auto return valve with adjustable detent
- Industrial strength ground stand
- Single-cylinder hydraulics
- Hoses and Pioneer Coupler included
- Log Catcher included
- Split some of the most difficult logs from Oak, Elm, Walnut, and Cherry
- Ideal for homes, cabins, or lodges that use wood-burning stoves and fireplaces
Winter is Coming : Are you Ready?
Winter is slowly and steadily slinking its frosty fingers into our homes. The time has come to wake up and ensure that the warmth remains within. Talking is easy. The process of keeping our homes warm however requires a lot of hard work. In fact, everything starts from the moment you start splitting up the logs.
The advent of log splitters has made our lives so much easier as far as this task is concerned. This piece of equipment was developed to split firewood (both hardwood as well as softwood) from pre-cut sections. These sections or rounds are easier to handle, transport and split.
Best Value Log Splitter – 37 Tons under $2000
XtremepowerUS 65070 / Kohler engine / Logs up to 25.5″ in Length
FEATURES: XtremepowerUS 37-Ton
- Designed for versatility and safety: Switch to the vertical position if you need to split large logs. Simply roll them in position
- Powerful 37-Ton gas log splitter / Phenomenal value compared to other brands
- Maximum log size is 25.5” in length.
- Auto-return with a fast 13 second cycle time
- Towable – has a 2” ball coupler / You can tow it up to 45 mph
- Heavy-Duty hydraulics
- Powerful and reliable Kohler Engine – Model SH265 / 9.5 hp / 277cc
- Oversized wheels and premium tires make sure you get to where you need to split wood
OVERVIEW / Thoughts
XtremepowerUS makes a 37-Ton, 30-Ton (65069) and 25-Ton. You can see the 30-Ton by scrolling down. They all look the same. All have Kohler engines.
XtremepowerUS is relatively new brand and information about the company is scarce. Generally I shy away from recommending products from unknown brands but their products seem to be above average, generally speaking. Occasionally they release sub-par products, so they can be hit or miss, depending on the product. This 37-ton log splitter appears to be a very good deal, assuming the quality lives up to the promise.
The Kohler engine gives me a lot of confidence that this will be a true workhorse. The retail price on this is $6000 so I’m not sure why the pricing is so cheap. Perhaps they are selling off their stock. I definitely recommend that you purchase this on Amazon and get the extended warranty. You can get an additional 3 year warranty for $134 and you’d still be ahead considering how inexpensive it is.
Nowadays I tell people to get the extended warranty when buying brands that don’t have a long sales history. Don’t assume everything will work out as expected. Also, you can read some customer complaints on the Better Business Bureau site before you make your decision. This has all of the features of an excellent log splitter, but I have not used it so I can’t say for certain.
30-Ton / Smaller engine
XtremepowerUS 65069 / 30-Ton – 196cc Kohler
With the 30-ton you get a smaller Kohler engine. It has 6.5 hp/196cc of power. Everything else is the same as the 37-ton, at a few hundred dollars less. If you plan on splitting a lot of wood, having more splitting force will be money well spent. The model you choose should be determined by how many cords of wood you’ll be splitting.
If you intend to cut a lot of large green hardwood logs then you definitely need the extra power you’ll get from the 37-ton model. But if your log sizes will be under about 18″ even for green hardwood then the 30 ton size will get the job done. The more specific you know the species of wood, the easier it will be to choose the right size log splitter.
I’m sure you already know, but for those who don’t, all wood species have a number associated with its hardness. This number is stated in pounds. The higher the number of pounds , the more splitting force (Tonnage) you need. For example, Hickory is a hardwood and its rated at 1820 lbs. A 24″ seasoned log will require about 30-tons of force to split it reliably, whereas the same 24″ log that’s still green will require about 35-tons of force.
Contrast that with a softwood like Spruce, that’s rated at 510 pounds for hardness. If it’s a 24″ seasoned log, expect to use 27-tons of force and a 24″ green log will require about 30-tons of force. It helps if you have an idea of the species of wood you’ll have to deal with. If you don’t know, then get the 37-ton because that will handle anything. The extra cost is negligible if you plan to use it consistently.
VIDEO – What Size Log Splitter do You Need?
Log splitters come in different sizes. There are those that are meant for residential use (with a rating of about 10 tons) and there are those that meant for commercial use (with a rating of 25 tons or more). The log splitter uses a rod and piston assembly which may be hydraulic or electric. This assembly helps produce the force that is required to split the logs. It is important to note that this force is measured in tons.
Another simpler version of the log splitters that are available in the market are the manual log splitters. These are meant for residential use and function by using a screw or corkscrew design.
Classifying Log Splitters Based On Their Power Source
There are three kinds of power sources that a log splitter may use.
- Manual energy
Gasoline/Diesel and electricity based engines have a hydraulic piston. This piston pushes a stationary blade through the log that you want to split. Some models of log splitters have a rotating cone shape screw mandrel. This pulls the log over the wedge till it splits.
Wood Splitter Safety
As with any kind of power tool, safety is a big consideration. Since the log splitter can operate at anything between 10 to 25 tons of force one needs to be careful that our limbs are out of harm’s way. That is why companies that manufacture these products have a long list of safety instructions. Let’s take at a few instructions that could very well save the users from a debilitating injury.
- Inspection: The machine must be inspected before use. Ensure that there are no parts of the machine that are bent or broken. Do not use the machine if you feel that it is not functioning appropriately.
- Use The Guards: Most log splitters come with a protective guard. Ensure that the guard is in place before you operate the device. The same holds true for any other kinds of safety gear that comes along with the log splitter.
- Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Diesel and gasoline produce Carbon Monoxide when combustion takes place. In order to provide power to the log splitter, the engine will burn fuel. This means that there will be high concentrations of Carbon Monoxide in the vicinity of the log splitter. This is the reason why people are advised not to use log splitters in closed rooms.
- Accidental Starting: The dangers of accidentally starting the machine does need not be explained. In order to prevent this from happening ensure that the device is switched off when not in use. Also ensure that the plug is removed from the socket as a secondary precaution. The same advice holds true when you are moving the log splitter from one place to another.
- Burns: One may not associate burns as an injury that a log splitter may cause. The lack of knowledge is precisely the reason why burns are so common. The muffler, the engine and the hydraulic components tend to heat up during the operation of the machine. The heat is significant enough to cause nasty burns. It is wise to remember that it takes a while for these parts to cool down too.
- Never Allow children To Operate The Machine: Remember that log splitters are dangerous machines. They can cause grievous harm to anyone who is operating it in case they do not know what they are doing. That is why it is essential that children do not play with the log splitter or in its vicinity.
- Establish A Safety Zone: The safety zone is important to ensure that no one wanders very close to the machine. The chances of flying pieces of wood are high and you wouldn’t want anyone getting hurt.
- Wear Safety Equipment: The user is advised to wear safety glasses/goggles for his own protection. Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing as they may get caught in the machine, pulling you and potentially causing serious harm. Please heed this warning.
- Risk For Fire: Diesel and gasoline powered engines carry a risk for fire. To avoid this ensure that you never fill a fuel tank in doors. Fumes of these fuels are highly flammable. Hence it is important not to smoke when refueling. Avoid spillage of fuel. In case a spill does occur, move the machine away from the spillage before starting it.
REVIEW : Southland Outdoor Power Equipment : SlS20825
25-Ton Log Splitter
- 208cc, 8.5 ft-lbs, OHV engine
- 25 ton splitting capacity is capable of splitting all wood species.
- 26″ log length capacity with a 17 second log split cycle time
- 16″ pneumatic, D.O.T. approved wheels. Max towing speed of 45 MPH.
- Can split in the vertical or horizontal orientation.
- 8” Wedge : Features wedge wings and tapered ends for efficient splitting.
- Beam : 9.7” wide
- Safety Chains : Prevent losing log splitter when towing.
View or download the MANUAL or the PARTS LIST.
The Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 is a 25 ton gas powered log splitter. The fact that this log splitter can produce 25 ton of pressure means that it is designed for commercial use. Many homeowners use it for residential use because it is so easy to handle and great for splitting firewood.
The SLS20825 is designed to split hardwood in both horizontal and vertical positions. It is this versatility that makes it extremely popular.
The SLS20825 has a 280 cc OHV engine. This engine produces a ram force of 25 tons which helps the SLS20825 split logs as if they are mere toothpicks. The engine has a cycle time of 16 seconds. This means that the log is placed in the machine, split and the machine resets to the original position in just 16 seconds. The quick cycle time ensures that the SLS20825 is efficient and fast.
The engine of the SLS20825 has a high speed of 3750 RPM when there is no load on the engine. It functions by using regular unleaded gasoline. The SLS20825 has a gasoline capacity of 2.6 liters.
Portability is always an issue with large log splitter. The SLS20825 however does not face this issue. The entire unit is really heavy and weighs in at 199 Kg. The weight however isn’t an issue because the SLS20825 is fitted with 16 inches x 4.8 inches big pneumatic wheels. The 2 inch ball and coupler hitch also helps in towing the SLS20825 to the desired location. In fact, the SLS20825 has a maximum towing speed of 45 miles/hour.
Video | Southland Outdoor Power Equipment Sls20825
Other Specs :
There are a few other points about the SLS20825 that I would like to highlight.
- The wedge: The 8 inch hardened steel wedge is what helps the hydraulic piston split the wood so easily.
- The Log Dimensions: Every log splitter has a maximum dimension specified for the logs that can be split. The SLS20825 has this too. In this case the maximum length of the log should be nothing more than 26 inches and the maximum log diameter should be nothing more than 30 inches.
- The Gear pump: The SLS20825 has a 2 stage gear pump that pumps hydraulic oil through its systems.
- Low noise and overall low vibration.
REVIEW: Champion Power Equipment 100251
Best 25 Ton Log Splitter / Full Beam / Towable
- Full Beam Log Splitter.
- Horizontal and Vertical wood splitting.
- 12 Second cycle time (no load).
- 2 in. Hitch ball coupler for towing.
- 2 Year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support.
- Extended receiver hitch neck.
- 2″ hitch ball coupler.
- DOT approved wheels.
View or download the MANUAL for the Champion Power Equipment 100251.
Another great 25 ton log splitter is the Champion Power Equipment 100251. This full beam log splitter can split logs in both the horizontal and vertical position. It has a 12 second cycle time when there is no load placed on it. Let’s take a more detailed look at what the Champion Power Equipment 100251 has to offer.
The Champion 100251 has a 224 cc 4 stroke OHV engine. This engine can produce 25 tons of ram force. It is this force that can split logs that are as 100 lb in weight. The cycle time of the Champion 100251 is 12 seconds. That is 4 seconds less than the previous model that we discussed. Despite its small stature, the Champion 100251 engine can easily keep up with its peers.
The net weight of the Champion 100251 is 195 kgs. This means that the log splitter is a little heavier than the Southland SLS20825 but as with all heavy-duty log splitters, the Champion 100251 also comes with its own set of wheels and it’s designed to be moved around easily. The tire size is around 16 inches. The 2 inch ball coupler and the extended tongue also contribute to the log splitters portability. The log splitter has a max towing speed of 45 miles/hour.
Other Specifications You Should Make A Note Off
Portability and the engine are not the only things that make the Champion 100251 popular. There are a few other specifications that you should take a look at before choosing the Champion 100251 as your log splitter.
- The Fuel: Always check the type of fuel that a log splitter uses before buying one. The Champion 100251 uses unleaded gasoline. The gasoline however needs to have a minimum octane rating of 85. It also needs to have an ethanol count of less than 10 percent.
- The Fuel Tank: The Champion 100251 has a fuel tank that can store 3.4 liters of fuel. This is significantly more than the SLS20825. This means that the number of times that you have to stop to refuel will be less.
- The Dimensions Of The Log: It is important to note the size of the logs that can be split by the machine. This will tell you if the log splitter fits your requirements or not. In the case of the Champion 100251 the maximum log length is 23.8 inches and the maximum log weight is 100 kilograms.
- The Automatic Cylinder Return: This particular features means that the Champion 100251 automatically resets without you doing any work. It is a particular useful feature when you spend hours splitting logs in the hot sun.
Learn more about the Champion Power Equipment brand.
Yard Machines Gas Log Splitter | 24BG55M1700
208cc / 25-Ton Log Splitter
This product is No longer available. For reference only.
- 208cc PowerMore OHV 25-ton engine.
- Can slice up to 25-inch logs every 19 seconds.
- Horizontal/Vertical Operation.
- Towable wood splitter up to 60mph.
- Cast-Iron splitting wedge can be sharpened to preserve factory cutting efficiency.
Yard Machines is a brand owned by MTD, which is based in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. MTD also owns Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet, and other brands. The company has been around since 1932 so even though you may have never heard of them, they’ve have been making quality products for a very long time.
Why Invest in a Log Splitter?
The need for a log splitter in a household is becoming more and more evident. We spend hours laboring over the wood that we cut. Each swing that we make with the axe slowly makes our hands feel more and more like lead. A log splitter makes the amount of time we spend working more productive and a lot less tiring.
Choosing a log splitter however depends on personal preference.
- How much wood do you need to split?
- What are the dimensions of the logs?
- What kind of fuel is easily accessible?
You will find that by asking the right questions, the choice becomes so much easier.
For more wood splitter options we recommend reading our article on Gas Log Splitters.