The Champion 100251 should be at the top of your list for the best 25-ton log splitter for the upcoming winter. It’s relatively fast, with a 12-second cycle time — the speed it can split your wood. This is obviously important if you have a lot of logs to split. Champion is a reputable brand that makes excellent products, not just log splitters. From my perspective, the brand does matter. You want to make sure you get support in case it malfunctions while under warranty. Champion has an excellent, full support network to help you if things go wrong. You have to factor that into the price you pay.
Let’s compare this Champion 25-ton to the Southland 25-ton. Both are good but one is better. Can you guess which one?
Editors’ Picks : 25-Ton Log Splitters
Champion 25-Ton (100251)
- 224cc Champion engine
- 12-second cycle time
- Logs up to 24″ long (up to 100 lbs.)
- 16″ wheels / Towable
- 2-stage : 11 GPM
- Horizontal / Vertical
- EPA & CARB Certified
- 2 year warranty
Southland 25-Ton (SLS20825)
- 208cc / Torque = 8.5 ft-lbs
- 17-second cycle time
- Logs up to 26″
- 16″ wheels / Towable
- 2-stage : 11 GPM
- Horizontal / Vertical
- 8″ splitting wedge
- 3-2-1 Warranty
Fast 25-Ton — Yardmax YU2566
- 25 Ton / 6.5hp / 14 GPM / 208cc Briggs & Stratton Engine
- Fast : 9.7 second cycle time
- Horizontal and vertical
- Splits logs up to 26″ long
- 4-way wedge / Two large Log cradles
- U-beam design = Stronger than common i-beam design
- Log Spinner foot Plate : Rotates logs = less stress on beam
Winter is Coming : Are you Ready?
Winter is slowly and steadily slinking its frosty fingers into our homes. The time has come to wake up and ensure that the warmth remains within. Talking is easy. The process of keeping our homes warm however requires a lot of hard work. In fact, everything starts from the moment you start splitting up the logs.
The advent of log splitters has made our lives so much easier as far as this task is concerned. This piece of equipment was developed to split firewood (both hardwood as well as softwood) from pre-cut sections. These sections or rounds are easier to handle, transport and split.
Log splitters come in different sizes. There are those that are meant for residential use (with a rating of about 10 tons) and there are those that meant for commercial use (with a rating of 25 tons or more). The log splitter uses a rod and piston assembly which may be hydraulic or electric. This assembly helps produce the force that is required to split the logs. It is important to note that this force is measured in tons.
Another simpler version of the log splitters that are available in the market are the manual log splitters. These are meant for residential use and function by using a screw or corkscrew design.
Classifying Log Splitters Based On Their Power Source
There are three kinds of power sources that a log splitter may use.
- Manual energy
Gasoline/Diesel and electricity based engines have a hydraulic piston. This piston pushes a stationary blade through the log that you want to split. Some models of log splitters have a rotating cone shape screw mandrel. This pulls the log over the wedge till it splits.
Wood Splitter Safety
As with any kind of power tool, safety is a big consideration. Since the log splitter can operate at anything between 10 to 25 tons of force one needs to be careful that our limbs are out of harm’s way. That is why companies that manufacture these products have a long list of safety instructions. Let’s take at a few instructions that could very well save the users from a debilitating injury.
- Inspection: The machine must be inspected before use. Ensure that there are no parts of the machine that are bent or broken. Do not use the machine if you feel that it is not functioning appropriately.
- Use The Guards: Most log splitters come with a protective guard. Ensure that the guard is in place before you operate the device. The same holds true for any other kinds of safety gear that comes along with the log splitter.
- Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Diesel and gasoline produce Carbon Monoxide when combustion takes place. In order to provide power to the log splitter, the engine will burn fuel. This means that there will be high concentrations of Carbon Monoxide in the vicinity of the log splitter. This is the reason why people are advised not to use log splitters in closed rooms.
- Accidental Starting: The dangers of accidentally starting the machine does need not be explained. In order to prevent this from happening ensure that the device is switched off when not in use. Also ensure that the plug is removed from the socket as a secondary precaution. The same advice holds true when you are moving the log splitter from one place to another.
- Burns: One may not associate burns as an injury that a log splitter may cause. The lack of knowledge is precisely the reason why burns are so common. The muffler, the engine and the hydraulic components tend to heat up during the operation of the machine. The heat is significant enough to cause nasty burns. It is wise to remember that it takes a while for these parts to cool down too.
- Never Allow children To Operate The Machine: Remember that log splitters are dangerous machines. They can cause grievous harm to anyone who is operating it in case they do not know what they are doing. That is why it is essential that children do not play with the log splitter or in its vicinity.
- Establish A Safety Zone: The safety zone is important to ensure that no one wanders very close to the machine. The chances of flying pieces of wood are high and you wouldn’t want anyone getting hurt.
- Wear Safety Equipment: The user is advised to wear safety glasses/goggles for his own protection. Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing as they may get caught in the machine, pulling you and potentially causing serious harm. Please heed this warning.
- Risk For Fire: Diesel and gasoline powered engines carry a risk for fire. To avoid this ensure that you never fill a fuel tank in doors. Fumes of these fuels are highly flammable. Hence it is important not to smoke when refueling. Avoid spillage of fuel. In case a spill does occur, move the machine away from the spillage before starting it.
Southland Outdoor Power Equipment : SlS20825
25-Ton Log Splitter
- 208cc, 8.5 ft-lbs, OHV engine
- 25 ton splitting capacity is capable of splitting all wood species.
- 26″ log length capacity with a 17 second log split cycle time
- 16″ pneumatic, D.O.T. approved wheels. Max towing speed of 45 MPH.
- Can split in the vertical or horizontal orientation.
- 8” Wedge : Features wedge wings and tapered ends for efficient splitting.
- Beam : 9.7” wide
- Safety Chains : Prevent losing log splitter when towing.
The Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SLS20825 is a 25 ton gas powered log splitter. The fact that this log splitter can produce 25 ton of pressure means that it is designed for commercial use. Many homeowners use it for residential use because it is so easy to handle and great for splitting firewood.
The SLS20825 is designed to split hardwood in both horizontal and vertical positions. It is this versatility that makes it extremely popular.
The SLS20825 has a 280 cc OHV engine. This engine produces a ram force of 25 tons which helps the SLS20825 split logs as if they are mere toothpicks. The engine has a cycle time of 16 seconds. This means that the log is placed in the machine, split and the machine resets to the original position in just 16 seconds. The quick cycle time ensures that the SLS20825 is efficient and fast.
The engine of the SLS20825 has a high speed of 3750 RPM when there is no load on the engine. It functions by using regular unleaded gasoline. The SLS20825 has a gasoline capacity of 2.6 liters.
Portability is always an issue with large log splitter. The SLS20825 however does not face this issue. The entire unit is really heavy and weighs in at 199 Kg. The weight however isn’t an issue because the SLS20825 is fitted with 16 inches x 4.8 inches big pneumatic wheels. The 2 inch ball and coupler hitch also helps in towing the SLS20825 to the desired location. In fact, the SLS20825 has a maximum towing speed of 45 miles/hour.
Video | Southland Outdoor Power Equipment Sls20825
Other Specs :
There are a few other points about the SLS20825 that I would like to highlight.
- The wedge: The 8 inch hardened steel wedge is what helps the hydraulic piston split the wood so easily.
- The Log Dimensions: Every log splitter has a maximum dimension specified for the logs that can be split. The SLS20825 has this too. In this case the maximum length of the log should be nothing more than 26 inches and the maximum log diameter should be nothing more than 30 inches.
- The Gear pump: The SLS20825 has a 2 stage gear pump that pumps hydraulic oil through its systems.
- Low noise and overall low vibration.
Beautifully Crafted 25 Ton Log Splitter / Full Beam / Towable
- Full Beam Log Splitter.
- Horizontal and Vertical wood splitting.
- 12 Second cycle time (no load).
- 2 in. Hitch ball coupler for towing.
- 2 Year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support.
- Extended receiver hitch neck.
- 2″ hitch ball coupler.
- DOT approved wheels.
View or download the MANUAL for the Champion Power Equipment 100251.
Another great 25 ton log splitter is the Champion Power Equipment 100251. This full beam log splitter can split logs in both the horizontal and vertical position. It has a 12 second cycle time when there is no load placed on it. Let’s take a more detailed look at what the Champion Power Equipment 100251 has to offer.
The Champion 100251 has a 224 cc 4 stroke OHV engine. This engine can produce 25 tons of ram force. It is this force that can split logs that are as 100 lb in weight. The cycle time of the Champion 100251 is 12 seconds. That is 4 seconds less than the previous model that we discussed. Despite its small stature, the Champion 100251 engine can easily keep up with its peers.
The net weight of the Champion 100251 is 195 kgs. This means that the log splitter is a little heavier than the Southland SLS20825 but as with all heavy-duty log splitters, the Champion 100251 also comes with its own set of wheels and it’s designed to be moved around easily. The tire size is around 16 inches. The 2 inch ball coupler and the extended tongue also contribute to the log splitters portability. The log splitter has a max towing speed of 45 miles/hour.
Other Specifications You Should Make A Note Off
Portability and the engine are not the only things that make the Champion 100251 popular. There are a few other specifications that you should take a look at before choosing the Champion 100251 as your log splitter.
- The Fuel: Always check the type of fuel that a log splitter uses before buying one. The Champion 100251 uses unleaded gasoline. The gasoline however needs to have a minimum octane rating of 85. It also needs to have an ethanol count of less than 10 percent.
- The Fuel Tank: The Champion 100251 has a fuel tank that can store 3.4 liters of fuel. This is significantly more than the SLS20825. This means that the number of times that you have to stop to refuel will be less.
- The Dimensions Of The Log: It is important to note the size of the logs that can be split by the machine. This will tell you if the log splitter fits your requirements or not. In the case of the Champion 100251 the maximum log length is 23.8 inches and the maximum log weight is 100 kilograms.
- The Automatic Cylinder Return: This particular features means that the Champion 100251 automatically resets without you doing any work. It is a particular useful feature when you spend hours splitting logs in the hot sun.
Learn more about the Champion Power Equipment brand.
Yard Machines Gas Log Splitter | 24BG55M1700
208cc / 25-Ton Log Splitter
This product is No longer available. For reference only.
- 208cc PowerMore OHV 25-ton engine.
- Can slice up to 25-inch logs every 19 seconds.
- Horizontal/Vertical Operation.
- Towable wood splitter up to 60mph.
- Cast-Iron splitting wedge can be sharpened to preserve factory cutting efficiency.
Yard Machines is a brand owned by MTD, which is based in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. MTD also owns Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet, and other brands. The company has been around since 1932 so even though you may have never heard of them, they’ve have been making quality products for a very long time.
Why Invest in a Log Splitter?
The need for a log splitter in a household is becoming more and more evident. We spend hours laboring over the wood that we cut. Each swing that we make with the axe slowly makes our hands feel more and more like lead. A log splitter makes the amount of time we spend working more productive and a lot less tiring.
Choosing a log splitter however depends on personal preference.
- How much wood do you need to split?
- What are the dimensions of the logs?
- What kind of fuel is easily accessible?
You will find that by asking the right questions, the choice becomes so much easier.
For more wood splitter options we recommend reading our article on Gas Log Splitters.