Bike Storage Shed Review : A Thoughtful Buying Guide. We review a wide range of bicycle storage sheds so you can decide which one is right for you.
Not everyone has thought of using a bike storage shed. You might not have known they exist. To be honest, I didn’t know anything about bike storage sheds until quite recently. What a wonderful idea. We all collect a lot of stuff, and finding an organized way keeping our possessions safely stowed away becomes challenging.
Intro | Best Bike Storage Shed
Cycling isn’t just a way of keeping fit and shedding those extra pounds, it’s a fantastic way to enjoy ourselves outdoors in the open fresh air. It’s a way for the family to all get together and enjoy some good old-fashioned, healthy fun. If you live in a small home with a small yard, it isn’t that easy to store your bikes out of sight and out of harm’s way. The garage can be great place to store your bikes, but not everyone has a garage. Even if you have a large garage, there’s usually a lot of stuff that you keep there. Getting your bikes in and out without scratching your car can be a hassle.
Suncast BMS4700 | How much space do you need?
When it comes down to it, a bike shed is the best solution. They come a variety of attractive designs. So instead of having bikes cluttering up the yard, you can have an elegant designated storage place for your bikes, in the form of a practical and elegant bike storage shed. Depending on your needs, you can get a small bike storage shed that will actually improve the usage of space in a small yard or you can go as large as you need and accommodate more than just bicycles.
Best of all, you don’t need to spend a lot on a bike storage shed. Prices vary, but there are very affordable solutions available. They are all designed to be the most practical way to store bikes and maximize your usable yard space. A bike storage shed never needs to be as big as a regular outdoor storage shed, they’re designed to be as small as possible whilst giving you easy convenient access to your bikes.
Arrow Woodridge (8×6) : Large Bike Storage Shed | Galvanized Steel (WR86)
While these versatile and practical storage solutions are the perfect way to store a bike, they can be used for any number of household items. All those toys that your kids use around the pool, leaving the yard looking like a toy dumpsite, garden tools, you name it.
With prices ranging from a little over $100 up to larger, more expensive options, we have a great selection bike storage sheds in this review. If you need a compact storage solution for an inner city yard with very little space, or simply want a neat and elegant way to store your bikes and other recreational equipment, you’re going to find it here.
The Stow-Away. Best bike storage if you want a small compact storage shed for your bicycle. Make sure you measure your bike to ensure it will fit the space (5′ 10.5″ W x 4 ft. 4″ H x 3 ft. 8.25″ W)
- Multi-wall panels are engineered for strength and stability.
- All weather construction provides water resistance and UV protection.
- Site preparation and foundation construction required. Materials not included.
- Lockable lid for added security (lock not included).
- 10-year limited warranty.
- Easy Open Lid With Gas Shocks
- Large enough to hold two 96-gallon garbage containers
- Manufactured in United States
- Exterior Dimensions: 5 ft. 10-1/2 in. W x 3 ft. 8-1/4 in. D x 4 ft. 4 in. H;
- Interior Dimensions: 5 ft. 5-1/2 in. W x 3 ft. 2-1/2 in. D x 4 ft. 1-1/2 in.
- Ideal for storing lawn and garden supplies and tools, smaller bicycles, patio cushions and more
Do you have limited space for a bike storage shed? Then the Suncast BMS4700 is bound to win you over. It looks great in off white, is wonderfully practical and very durable.
With a height of only 4’ 4”, a width of 5’10½”, and a depth of 4’4”, you’ll easily find a space in your yard to unobtrusively tuck the handy little Suncast away. It opens to the front with two wide doors and the entire top façade will open on hinges. The lid has gas shocks that will prevent it from closing unexpectedly. So you have easy access to everything inside and you can get in to clean it without straining your back.
VIDEO | See the Suncast BMS4700 up close
It’s molded from a highly durable resin that requires no maintenance. It’s weather resistant and offers total protection for whatever you store inside. Your bikes won’t be exposed to rain, snow, or harsh sunlight. The finish is really appealing with a wood look and the top has a molded finish resembling shingles. It even has a latch for a padlock, so you can secure the contents. The double wall construction makes it very sturdy and insulates the interior well. The floor is also reinforced and has a ramp for easy access.
With enough storage space for quite a few bikes and room to spare for other items, the Suncast is a very practical solution for any yard. Even if you don’t have much skill in the DIY department, it’s not at all difficult to assemble and the instructions are easy to follow. That’s one of the benefits of buying an American made product, the instructions are written by someone who actually speaks English.
The Suncast BMS4700 is a winner on every level. It’s deceptively small on the outside for the generous storage space it provides. It’s made to the highest standards with a 10-year limited warranty. For a bike storage shed that can be used for just about any form of outdoor storage, this is a fantastic product.
The YardStash III and The YardStash IV
Features (The YardStash III) :
- Space saving size (74″ wide x 30″ deep x 65″ high, fits two adult bicycles with room to spare) and water shedding design to easily stash two adult bikes, pool floats & supplies, kids toys, lawn mowers, long handled garden tools and other outdoor gear.
Full top and bottom zippers on door to completely seal the door and provide full protection against water, dust, and pests.
- Industrial grade, ripstop, vinyl tarpaulin roof with UPF 50+ protection and an even stronger polyester body bonded to interior weatherproof coating.
- Quick & easy set-up (no tools required, less than 15 minutes), heavy duty materials (2.5x heavier than other storage tents), reinforced integrated floor, large zippers with storm flaps, back panel for locking bikes to a fence or pole, and front mesh vent to eliminate condensation.
- Front mesh vent to eliminate condensation
- Includes free carrying bag for easy portability
- Size 74” wide x 30” deep x 65” tall
- Weight 15.8 lbs
- Body – Material 210D Oxford Polyester (9oz/yard)
- Roof Industrial grade vinyl tarpaulin (.02” thick), 16oz/yard)
- UV Protection 50 UPF
- Full Top & Bottom Zip Yes – Full zip complete protection
- Poles 11 (fiberglass)
- Warranty One year
Perhaps not the most attractive bike storage shed, these two YardStash offerings have a lot of practical advantages and are extremely affordable. They pitch like a tent, so you can set it up in minutes and take it with you everywhere you go. While the polyester and vinyl materials may look a little flimsy, these are actually very high-grade materials. This is not your average lightweight plastic.
VIDEO | YardStash III | Get A Closer Look
The YardStash III looks like a small tent and this goes up like one two. It really shouldn’t take you more than about 15-minutes to set it up. Now you may think that a tent is not going to be all that durable and it probably won’t last as long as the double wall resin bike storage sheds if you leave it out in the sun. Though with a reasonable amount shade, it’s going hold up very well to the elements.
I’ve done a lot of camping in my time, and I know that not all polyester tents are the same. The YardStash is way tougher than most. The roof is made of industrial grade, rip-stop nylon, this is the type of material they use for long haul trucking tarpaulins, it’s super-tough with UPF 50+ ultraviolet protection. The walls and floor are made of heavy-duty polyester that won’t rip too easily. Though one has to be more careful than with solid walls. A weight tag of 16 LBS for the lightweight YardStash III, is a clear indication that the materials are much heavier than the average tent.
The YardStash IV is only a few inches bigger than the YardStash III. The difference is in the materials used. The YardStash IV is an extra heavy-duty version of the YardStash III. By using only ultra-heavy duty nylon materials throughout, the slightly more expensive YardStash IV is about as tough as any bike storage shed, whether it be wood, steel, steel or resin. The benefit here is that it’s super quick to erect and take down.
- The YardStash III measures: 65” (H); 30” (D) and 74” (W).
- The YardStash IV measures: 68” (H); 32” (D) and 74” (W).
The YardStash IV —
Best bike storage shed if you’re looking for a soft canopy solution that will withstand tough environmental conditions. Very affordable.
Features (The YardStash IV) :
- Constructed entirely of thick, heavy duty, weatherproof, tear proof, and UV fade proof vinyl tarpaulin, the YardStash IV will stand up to Mother Nature and keep your stuff dry – guaranteed. Beware of cheap imitations!
- Space-saving footprint (74 inches wide x 32 inches deep x 68 inches high, fits two adult bikes with room to spare) with integrated floor to stash hard to store stuff like long handled garden tools, furniture cushions, bicycles, lawnmowers, coolers, pool toys & more.
- Quick & easy set-up and take down (less than 10 minutes and no tools required) for convenient and portable multi-purpose storage.
- Rugged large rubber tabbed top and bottom zippers with storm flaps for easy access and full protection against water, dust, and pests.
- Sealed seams and a new snow shedding roof design for four season protection,
- Front mesh vent to eliminate condensation
- Size 74” wide x 32” deep x 65” tall
- Weight 18.7 lbs
- Body – Material Industrial grade vinyl tarpaulin (.02” thick, ), 16oz/yard)
- Roof Industrial grade vinyl tarpaulin (.02” thick, ), 16oz/yard)
- UV Protection UV Proof
- Full Top & Bottom Zip Yes – Full zip complete protection
- Poles 8 (fiberglass)
- Warranty Two years
Both have a large D-shaped door, giving you very easy access to the interior. In keeping with the general high quality standard, the zippers used for the door are large and very durable.
My only issue with these two YardStash Bike storage sheds is that don’t look too great. Though they’re small enough to hide somewhere out of sight. A big attraction for many, would be the price. They are entirely weather proof and will stand up to heavy rain, wind and snow without a problem.
VIDEO | See the YardStash IV up close
The high level of UV protection means that they should tolerate a fair amount of sunlight without perishing. So it’s a very convenient and easy storage solution at an amazing price. For a few dollars more, the YardStash IV is an incredibly tough, lightweight bike storage shed. Both are incredibly good value for money.
Keter Manor – 4 x 6 ft.
(Model : 212917) — 4 ft. x 6 ft. / 133.2 cu. ft
Maximum Roof Load : 15 lbs. / sq. ft.
Maximum Wind Resistance : 55 mph
- Suitable for all weather conditions and will not peel, rust, rot or decay.
- Sturdy build makes this shed ideal for storing a wide variety of items.
- Floor panel keeps items off the ground to help keep them clean and dry.
- Window provides natural light while ventilation provides added safety.
- Roof supports more than 15 lbs/sq.ft. of snow
- High enough ceiling for an adult to move around in with ease.
- Easy to assemble.
- built-in window and skylight
- Weather-resistant, double wall construction
- Double doors
- Floor panel
- Fixed window
- High ceiling
✓ View or download the ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS (4’x6′ model)
This is as much a small multi-purpose garden shed as it is an excellent bike storage shed. It’s big enough to store a lot more than just your bikes. It’s also high enough to walk inside, so you can have shelves against the walls for extra storage. Though you can’t attach shelves to the walls of this shed, they need to be free-standing which does take up some of your floor space.
The Keter Manor 4 x 6 ft. bike storage shed is made of extremely high-grade materials. A steel frame supports polypropylene resin walls with an attractive wood texture. It has a door at the front with sturdy hinges and a padlock loop. No matter what you store in this shed, the contents will be protected from the weather and pilfering hands. It also has a small window on one side to let the light in.
It will occupy a 51.2” X 75.6” footprint, with an exterior height of 78”. This gives you an internal storage space of 43.7” X 69.7” and a generous height of 74.8”, so a 6-foot tall person will have no problem walking inside the shed. The total storage volume is 131.8 cubic feet and, because there’s plenty of extra height, you can make full use of this space with hangers and shelves. Vents at the top of the walls help keep it cool inside.
It’s a really easy bike shed to erect. Even though this is a full-height storage shed, you won’t need foundations. You’ll need to level the ground and it’s better to raise it above the frost line. Laying down wood chips or fine gravel is all you’ll really need to do for a better installation. The pale grey color looks great and it’s easy to clean. You just need to hose it down to get rid of the dust.
With its attractive looks and low-maintenance, durable materials, the Keter Manor is a fantastic storage shed for bikes and a whole lot more. It’s very affordable for a shed of this type and has a 10-year limited warranty.
Keter Factor – 4 x 6 ft.
Model : 213139 — 4 ft. x 6 ft. (23.4 sq.ft.) / 140 lbs. Best bike storage shed if you have want something that will last for years to come and allow you extra space to store more than just bicycles.
- Sturdy and weather-resistant build makes this a low maintenance shed that won’t rust, peel, rot or decay.
- Made from polypropylene resin plastic
- Designed with steel reinforcement to ensure it will endure over the years
- Window and skylight provide plenty of natural light while ventilation provides added safety. (some models)
- Heavy-duty floor, spacious design and double doors make it easy to store even large items.
- High enough ceiling for an adult to easily enter and move around.
- Easy to assembly with just common household tools.
- Made out of a durable, weather-resistant resin with steel reinforcement
- Attractive wood-like texture
- Heavy-duty floor panel Double doors (except for 4’x6′ model)
- Shelf support included
- 10-year limited warranty
The Keter Factor shed is an upgraded version of the Keter Manor that we’ve just reviewed. It costs a little more and, although it’s the same size, this bike storage shed has a few aspects that make it worth the extra cost.
Unlike the Keter Manor, the Factor has no exposed steel. The steel reinforcing is enclosed in the polypropylene double walls. This appeals to me, because there’s no need to keep the steel frame from rusting, so it’s completely maintenance-free. The same applies to the strong door that doesn’t have exposed hinges. With no exposed steel, this one also looks cooler. The wood finish is clean and crisp.
Another practical advantage to the Keter Factor is that there are shelve kits available that slot effortlessly into precast channels in the walls. It’s a very versatile multi-purpose bike storage shed. The door can be locked, but you’ll need to buy the lock separately. It has a window to let light in and very effective vents for better cooling.
The dimensions are exactly the same as the Keter Manor 51.2” X 75.6” X 78” exterior and an interior space of 43.7” X 69.7” and a height of 74.8”. This is with the added advantage of shelves that don’t need to stand on the floor – you can slot any of the available shelve kits directly onto the walls without any tools or effort. It’s also a very easy bike storage shed to erect. It’s even easier than the cheaper Manor version because the panels slot together without he more complicated steel frame.
If you’re on a tight budget, the Keter Manor is going to be your cheapest option for the same amount of storage space. Though, I’d say that if a few dollars more isn’t a problem, it’s worth the extra investment when choosing the Keter Factor. You’ll never need to worry about any form of maintenance, it looks a bit nicer, and is more practical because of the shelving options available. This shed also has a 10-year warranty.
Erecting Your Bike Storage Shed
Because these are small, relatively lightweight structures, none of the bike storage sheds in this review require much know-how or time to assemble. Large outdoor storage sheds require a wooden or concrete foundation. Fortunately, a bike storage shed only needs to be placed on level ground. It’s better to elevate it above the normal ground level because this will prevent damage from rain runoff, frost, or accumulating snow. But this is easily done. You can lay down gravel or wood chips, or simply compact dirt to build up the ground level. Allow a base that’s extends a few inches beyond the width and depth of the shed.
Your bike storage shed comes in kit form with everything you need. They have clear instructions with diagrams and pictures to help you along. If assembling your bike storage shed seems daunting, you can always check out YouTube. There are plenty of video step-by-step guides for most major bike shed brands. It isn’t at all difficult to build a bike storage shed, once you have a basic idea of how it works. Even the tall walk-in bike storage sheds won’t take a whole day to build. It’s easier with two people on the job, but it’s possible for a reasonably skilled DIY person to do it alone.
Because all of the bike storage sheds in this review don’t require any real maintenance, you don’t have to worry about this too much. The plastic and resin materials need no attention for the lifespan of the shed. They’re also very easy to clean. If the bike storage shed has any exposed steel components (like the Keter Manor), you should keep an eye on these. Although these metal parts will arrive with a durable coating to protect them from rust, they can become scratched and the coating will deteriorate over time. It might take years, but at some point the exposed steel surfaces will need to be sanded down and painted. Preventing rust is always your number on concern with steel.