A mosquito Fogger is an essential item to have if you live in an area where mosquito’s are constantly ruining your time outdoors or if like to spend a lot of time on outdoor adventures, including camping trips. Basically, a mosquito fogger is indispensable if you spend time anywhere that mosquitoes or other biting flies may cause you problems.
A Burgess mosquito fogger is a simple device, but extremely effective at clearing a 1/4 acre (over 10,000 Sq. Feet) in under ten minutes.
My hope is that you’ll quickly come to your senses and realize that a mosquito fogger is a highly practical device for those times when mosquitoes and flies are a serious problem. There’s nothing worse than not being able to enjoy sitting in your own backyard without the fear of being attacked and bitten — I’m here to tell you that there’s an easy way to keep mosquito’s from ruining your life.
Best Mosquito Fogger?
This article is focused on 4 mosquito foggers; three are from a company called Burgess. The company is owned by The Fountainhead Group Inc. which has been in business for over 125 years with a strong focus on “liquid applicator technologies.” They operate a variety of brands and products:
…the highest quality pump sprayers, backpack sprayers, mosquito foggers and more for home and professional use. Our sprayers are sold under the Roundup, D.B. Smith, Field King and Indian brands, while our foggers are sold under the Black Flag, Burgess, Cutter and Repel brands.
All of Burgess Black Flag Mosquito Foggers share the following traits:
- Applies the same effective mosquito insecticide used by municipalities across the country to kill mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus.
- Creates microscopic particles that penetrates deeply in wooded areas and landscaping where mosquitoes like to hide.
- Treats a ¼ acre area (over 10,000 Sq. Feet) in fewer than 10 minutes.
- Children and pets can safely play in the treated area within 5 minutes of fogging.
- IMPORTANT! Only use with Black Flag oil based insecticides!
Make sure you wear a respirator for safety. The 3M Tekk Paint Project Respirator is a good product that will protect your from the Black Flag pesticide when fogging. Another respirator to consider is the: MSA Safety Works 817662 Paint and Pesticide Respirator.
And for all 3 of these products you’ll need the Black Flag insecticide. You’ll use quite a bit of it so make sure you stock up — especially if you plan of fogging a lot.
This product is only geared toward killing mosquitoes and other flies as stated by Burgess:
Black Flag insecticide kills mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus, biting flies, common house flies, stable flies, black flies, biting midges & many more!
Now, let’s look at the 3 different Mosquito Foggers. They all do the same thing but one is powered by propane and the other two are electric.
Updated 2016 | Mosquito Trap
Mosquitoes kill more people than any other creature on earth. As you probably already know, the Zika virus is spreading in Central and South America and threatening to move into the USA, having an effective mosquito control solution is absolutely essential for now and the foreseeable future. So, for 2016 we feel it’s important to inform you of a unique product that we feel our readers will be interested in — the Mosquito Magnet.
It’s helpful to add another layer of defense by using a mosquito trap alongside your mosquito fogger — which we’ll get to in a moment.
Mosquito season begins when the temperature warms up. Usually in the spring, more specifically, when the temperature reaches 50° Farenheit, the mosquitoes will emerge. Will you be ready?
Mosquito Magnet | Mosquito Trap
You’ll truly be impressed at how many mosquitoes this mosquito trap will will kill. Watch the video below and see for yourself. We highly recommend the Mosquito Magnet to trap and kill mosquitoes around your home. Spend your summer enjoying the outdoors not retreating from mosquitoes every time you want to go outside.
How does the Mosquito Magnet work?
It mimics the way humans attract mosquitoes. Mosquitoes love us for a reason — they love the carbon dioxide (CO2) our bodies release. The Mosquito Magnet incorporates a trap mechanism that converts propane into CO2, mixes it with the precise level of heat, moisture and attractant to make it seem human-like and eventually lures mosquitoes to the device, which then vacuums mosquitoes into the one-way net where they dehydrate and die.
- Silent trap steadily emits a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture to attract and catch, and kill mosquitoes.
- Covers up to 1-acre.
- Starts working immediately and you see results in 7 to 10 days
- Heavy-duty build quality. Durable plastic.
- Operate the Mosquito Magnet continuously to destroy the mosquitoes’ breeding cycle.
- Self-enclosed net locks mosquitoes away, making it easy to dispose of them.
- Odorless operation. Quick start-up.
- Designed so you don’t have to interact with mosquitoes.
- Patented CounterFlow Technology.
- Patented Catalytic Converter.
Video | This will show you more than words can ever say.
There are 4 different models. We’ve pointed out the differences below:
Mosquito Magnet MM4100 Patriot
- Net size: small
- A/C power cord (not cordless)
Mosquito Magnet MM3200 Independence
- Cordless : Runs on 4 C batteries (included)
- Net size: Medium.
- No Wi-Fi features.
Mosquito Magnet MM3300 Executive
- Smart Fuel-Saving Technology – Saves on Propane.
- Rechargeable Battery.
- Net Size: Large.
- No WI-Fi features.
Mosquito Magnet MM3400 Commander
- Wireless Technology-Conveniently monitor trap maintenance and performance.
- Receive updates via text messages and emails on the status of your trap.
- Rechargeable Battery.
- Net size: Large.
- 2-year warranty.
Learn more about these mosquito traps on the Mosquito Magnet site.
Mosquito Prevention is the Key to Control
Hopefully you appreciate this updated information for 2016. I think that this will be a challenging summer for mosquito control and the more tools you have to choose from the better off you’ll be. Stay tuned for more articles focused on mosquitoes as we expect mosquito control challenges to grow as the climate warms and changes.
Now, let’s get back to looking at the best mosquito fogger models. The benefits of using a fogger is that it kills mosquito larvae before they hatch, not to mention, killing all the mosquitoes that are already buzzing around. It’s best to incorporate several protective measures to effectively deal with mosquitoes.
The video below will show you everything you need to know in order to use your Burgess 1443 Mosquito Fogger properly. You’ll notice that there are 2 additional products that you’ll need in order to operate the propane model. You’ll need the following:
Watch this instructional video from the manufacturer, The Fountainhead Group Inc:
The Black Flag mosquito fogger has been designed to give homeowners the same quality and effectiveness as professional mosquito fogging systems, but at an affordable price. Perfect for using around your yard or garden, it kills mosquitoes on contact and after fogging you’ll get about 6 hours of continuous protection.
Use this propane mosquito fogger before you have guests over for a backyard picnic, family barbecues, or outdoor parties. The last thing you want is to have your friends and family attacked by mosquitoes. I’m sure they’ll appreciate having an insect-free gathering in your yard. This insect fogger disperses a 10-foot cone of insecticide, allowing you to fog your entire backyard in just a few minutes, and you can use the yard immediately after spraying.
You’ll also need a standard propane canister to make the Mosquito fogger work. You can either buy one locally or purchase one online when you buy your Burgess Insect fogger.
You’ll need a standard propane canister to make this mosquito fogger work. This Benzomatic canister is a good value if you want to buy it online.
Learn more about the Burgess 1443 Outdoor Mosquito Fogger on Amazon.
- Convenient and portable. Take them camping, or other places where an electric fogger can’t be used.
- Foggers kill mosquitoes and flies immediately, and provide up to 6 hours of bug control.
- Ideal for use before picnics, BBQ’s, outdoor parties, pool parties, and special events.
- Fog large areas in minutes. Remain bug free for hours.
- Ideal for quickly clearing large areas of mosquitoes and insects around yard or camping site.
- Propane powered for ultimate portability. Uses standard tall propane canister.
- Dispenses 10 inch cone of odorless fog to quickly clear bugs.
Mosquito Control & Prevention
Read our comprehensive article on mosquito control. We cover a lot of topics beginning with important information on mosquitoes — how and why they grow and multiply but more importantly we tell you how to kill them before they’re ever born. Prevention is critical when it comes to mosquito control.
We tell you everything you need to know to keep mosquitoes from ruining your life.
Okay, sorry for that interruption, now let’s get back to the mosquito foggers…
To be honest, the Electric 960 Mosquito Fogger works essentially the same as the propane model. The only difference is that you’ll need an extension cord but there’s nothing more to say about it. Just follow the instructions below and you’ll be ready to go.
Follow these guidelines when using the Burgess 960 Electric Mosquito Fogger.
- Wait for it to heat up and start smoking before using.
- Keep tank at least 1/2 full for the best pumping efficiency.
- Use early in the morning or at dusk to reduce wind.
- Use sweeping motion at base of bushes and foliage. Fog will rise up and get into higher branches.
- Wear breathing protection and gloves.
- Drain tank and air dry between uses. DO NOT clean with water or it will rust.
- Use wire to clean nozzle occasionally.
View or download the instruction manual for the Burgess Electric 960 Outdoor Insect Fogger.
- Easy to use, just plug it in and begin fogging. Do your whole backyard in minutes with long lasting effect.
- Dispenses 10′ cone of odorless fog to immediately clear bugs from area.
- Made in the USA.
The Burgess 982 Electric Mosquito fogger is considered a professional-grade product. It’s more costly than the others but if you need a top-of-the-line fogger then you might want to consider this particular model.
View or download the instruction manual for the Burgess 982 Electric Outdoor Insect Fogger.
- Easy to use! Just plug in and heats up in minutes, and it will last for hours.
- Can also be used for professional cleaning jobs.
- Easily converts to all-purpose electric sprayer.
- 110 Volt.
- Made in USA.
If you want an easier solution to your mosquito problem then you can also try the convenient Cutter Backyard Bug Control Outdoor Fogger. It won’t be as effective or as penetrating as the Burgess mosquito foggers but it’s still a good alternative if you don’t want to invest the money to get a more advanced mosquito fogger.
Controls the following insects: flies, mosquitoes, flying moths, gnats, wasps, ants (except carpenter, fire pharaoh and harvester ants) crickets, sowbugs and firebrat.
- Repels and kills mosquitoes and other annoying insects.
- Perfect for backyards, decks, patios and picnic areas.
Watch this video by Cutter to learn more about how this product works:
The Commander Tri-Jet Fogger is made in the USA by a company named Createch, based in Tallahassee, Florida. The Tri-Jet Fogger can be used for a variety of reasons, including: Pest control, sanitation, and odor and mold control. The combination of adjustable valve and the tornado action nozzle allows you to maximize mist up to 30 feet directionally. The Commander Tri-Jet Fogger is versatile as it enables you to fog with either water or oil based materials. Can also be used indoors or outdoors.
This a ULV fogger but what does that mean? Ultra Low Volume (ULV) generates a fog or mist formed out of droplets between 5-50 microns (μm) in diameter.
The Commander Tri Jet Fogger can also handle your pest control needs. The unit can apply both water and oil based insecticides and fumigants and is used in a wide range of applications, including: residential, commercial, agricultural and industrial environments.
Kennels, Stables, Barns, Warehouses, Restaurants, Apartments, Residential Homes, and under almost all buildings.
The Commander Tri Jet Fogger is great for misting biocides and disinfectants for sanitation. The tornado nozzle spreads disinfectants up to 30 feet, enabling quick coatings for a variety of applications. Excellent for penetrating hard to to reach crevices.
Food Processing Plants, Cruise Ships, Hospitals, Schools, Daycare, Warehouse, HVAC Ductwork, Cargo Containers, Veterinary Clinics.
The Commander Tri Jet Fogger is excellent for handling odor control applications. Eliminate musty, sewage, compost and smoke smells. A Great product for rental cars, hotels and kennels.
Hotels, Lounges, Solid Waste Transfer Stations, Landfills, Sewage Lift Stations,Treatment Plants, Composting Facilities, Waste Pits, Lagoons.
The Commander Tri Jet ULV Fogger is great for mold remediation and prevention in large or inaccessible spaces. This fogger evenly mists mold control products by saturating the air in the enclosed environment, which evenly coat all surfaces. Moreover, the Commander disperses liquids up to 30 feet, helping both do it yourself and professional applicators with tough to reach crawl spaces.
See how the Commander Tri-Jet works:
Includes: Intake Filter, Power Supply Cord (110V or 220V), Heavy Duty Motor, Triple Action Nozzle, Operation Instructions, Five Year Warranty.
Alternative but similar pro fogger: Silver Bullet ULV Fogger
- Adjustable valve and tornado action nozzle allows directional mists up to 30 feet.
- Use indoors or outdoors.
- Triple nozzle with two-stage action.
- Rust proof and rugged.
- Heavy Duty Motor.
- 5 year warranty.
Use this mosquito fogger with Bonide Mosquito Beater. This is an above average product that produces thick fog that penetrates plants, cracks, crevices and other nooks and crannies where insects hide. When used correctly, this mosquito fogger will quickly collapse insect populations, leaving you with a comfortable, pest free environment for people, pets, plants and livestock. Leaves no pesticide residue.
In all honesty, I would recommend the Burgess 1443 Mosquito Fogger over this Bonide model. Why? Well, because Burgess foggers are very good and made to a higher standard than this model. Some of the components are cheaply made, like the propane shut off handle.
Effective on the following insects: mosquitoes, flies, black flies, gnats, and moths,
Can be safely used for a wide variety of applications and circumstances, including: picnics, outdoor events, camp sites, and for gardening treatments.
NOTE: The Bonide 420 is is a thermal fogger so please make sure you only use products designed for thermal fogging.
View or download the MANUAL for this Bonide mosquito fogger.
- Clears areas of insects for hours
- Area stays bug free for hours
- Construction: nylon, plastic, metal
- Made of durable nylon
- Self starting ignitor switch
- Translucent bowl allows you to see contents
- Easy trigger action dispenses microscopic particles
- Lightweight and portable, use almost anywhere
- Easy to use, effective and portable
- Fog disappears quickly, leaves not active residue
- May be used in camping areas, picnics, yards, and around swimming pools
You can probably buy a cheap propane cylinder if you visit your local hardware store but if you would rather order it online for whatever reason then the Benzomatic Propane Cylinder will do the job. As I said, it’s more expensive buying it online so if you can, buy it locally.
Specs (Bonide 420 Fog-Rx):
- Weight: 4 pounds (1.8 kg)
- Dimensions: 8.2 x 13 x 5.5 inches
- Capacity: 40 oz (1.18 l)
- Material: Plastic, Nylon
- Propane gas cylinder: Not included
- Auto ignite button: Yes
Longray is a China based company that specializes in fogging machines. Learn more on their main website.
The electric Longray Mosquito Fogger can safely spray chemicals, such as: insecticides, pesticides, disinfectants, deodorants, odor neutralizers etc.
- Durable plastic tank made with chemical resistant polyethylene.
- Comes with an adjustable fabric strap. Comfortable to carry on shoulder.
- Designed with a flexible hose with a nozzle handle that allows you spray into those tricky difficult-to-reach spaces like between cabinets, under carpets, above ceilings, & other tight spaces.
- ULV electric fogger that produces fine, 5-50 micron droplets.
- Bundled 24″ flex-hose lets you reach into narrow spaces and around corners.
- Powered from a standard electrical outlet.
- Compatible with water and oil-based pesticides, disinfectants, deodorants, and fogging agents.
- 18 month extended warranty.
Note: I don’t recommend this Hudson mosquito fogger. It’s expensive and based on the few reviews online, it’s not worth your money. The choice is yours.
View or download the MANUAL for the Hudson 62691 mosquito fogger.
- Piezo ignition switch enables you to light it without matches.
- Creates effective insect-killing fog that lingers.
- 90-day limited warranty
Diagram of all the major components