The Intex 12x30 Metal Frame Pool Set is an easy to set-up above ground pool that the whole family can use. As you know, it’s that time of year when people start planning for the hot weather — and you know it’s coming. Summer is around the corner and you’re probably wondering if you should take the plunge (no pun intended) and buy a pool for your backyard.
Well, I’m here to give you a thorough overview on the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool — the good and the bad. There are several different sizes of the Intex metal frame pool, which includes the following sizes:
- 24X52 | Largest Available Pool Size
- 18x48 | Intex Metal Frame Pool
- 15x48 | Intex Metal Frame Pool
- 12x30 | Smallest Available Pool Size
By the the way, the first number is the width (in feet) and the second number is height (in inches).
On a hot Summer day, what’s more fun than having a refreshing pool to cool you off or to just lounge around in. The Intex 12x30 Metal Frame Pool is a good choice for most homeowners — actually an excellent choice, but I’ll show you a few other options because I think it’s always a good idea to know what’s available in order to have confidence in your decision.
Let’s begin with our feature review, the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool set, but first here’s a brief history of the Intex brand.
Intex is a major manufacturer and distributor of airbeds, above-ground pools, spas, toys, furniture, and boats. They belong to a worldwide group of companies with a rich history of more than 40 years.
Intex started their inflatable product line with a beach ball and in 1977 they started making their first above ground swimming pools.
Here’s are a couple images from their catalog in the seventies when Intex was called “The Wet Set.” Ah, the seventies…I don’t miss that decade for a second. Everything was much uglier back then.
Intex Pool Products : 1975 / 1977
Also, if you care about the environment then your values also align with Intex because For over 10 years, they’ve worked closely with their supplier to recycle their PVC. The PVC material from returned products are recycled or re-manufactured. Read more about their accomplishments on their safety & sustainability page.
Watch the VIDEO (below) of the Intex 10x30 above ground pool to get a better idea of how this pool is constructed. It’s the exact same pool Structurally and aesthetically, just a little smaller.
Intex makes many different sizes of these metal frame pools. Only you can decide which size is best for you. The main difference with these larger pools is that they’re deeper.
- Intex 15x48 Metal Frame Pool
- Intex 18x48 Metal Frame Pool
- Intex 24X52 Metal Frame Pool
- Intex 12X30 Metal Frame Pool
VIDEO | How to level and install your Intex metal frame pool:
Designed with customers in mind, Intex made this 12x30 above ground swimming pool easy-to-assemble. You get a DVD that includes step-by-step instructions for setup and maintenance. If everything goes smoothly, you should be ready to fill it up with water in about 30 minutes.
The Intex 12x30 metal frame pool is built to last as it’s made with a rust-resistant galvanized steel frame, as well as durable sidewalls constructed with three separate layers. It also includes a filter pump rated at 530 gallons per hour. You can read the full feature list at the end of this section.
The great thing about this particular swimming pool is that you get a lot of pool for not a lot of money. It’s the type of product that the entire family can enjoy together, while allowing a space to create great memories over the years. If you’ve never owned an above ground swimming pool before I reason why I highly recommend the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool because it’s a good size — not too big or small, and it has a high rate of customer satisfaction. As Goldilocks said, “It’s just right.” On top of that, it’s inexpensive, well-constructed, and relatively easy to maintain.
The maximum amount of people for this pool is 4 to 7, depending on how big they are. Obviously small kids won’t take up much space. The pool weighs only 61 lbs.
If you need to replace your Intext pool ladder here are two versions:
Intex Pool Maintenance
Watch the video below to get a better idea of the scope of maintenance that will be required for your Intex 12x30 metal frame pool (or any Intex above ground swimming pool).
All pools require a certain degree of maintenance and upkeep. You can’t just setup the pool in the backyard and leave it. It’s important to ensure the ph levels are where they should be, the filter is clean, the pool circulation is healthy, and the chlorine levels are just right. You know there’s a problem when the water starts getting cloudy, the sidewalls feel slimy or you see visible signs of algae. These are all symptoms of poor pool maintenance.
A way to make your life easier to seriously consider spending a little extra money on the Intex salt water system because you’ll save money over the long run. The salt water system produces natural chlorine from saltwater & use copper ionization to sanitize. You’ll save money on chlorine.
It’s important to know that the filtering system that comes with the pool isn’t compatible with the salt water system, so unfortunately if this is something that interests you then you’ll also have to upgrade the filter to the Intex 1000 gallon model. If you want to save money over the long-term then you’ll need the following:
Or you can just purchase the Intex 15X48 metal frame pool set which comes with the 1000-gallon filter pump, but it’s considerably more expensive and you’ll still have to buy the saltwater system. At the end of the day you have to decide what’s important to you. But to calculate the true cost you should look at how much the pool will cost you over the long-term. Chlorine costs add up over time and the saltwater system is very low maintenance — not to mention the fact that it’s a superior system.
Keep it Clean with Chlorine
If you’re sticking with the chlorinated system then you’ll need a couple accessories:
First, you’ll need chlorine; I recommend tablets. You can buy them online or at your local pool store. Here are a few options:
- Clorox Pool & Spa (3″ pool chlorine tablets)
- In The Swim (3″ pool chlorine tablets)
- Pool Mate (3″ pool chlorine tablets)
You can select a variety of sizes for each of these chlorine tablets.
And the Swimline Floating Chlorine Dispenser is the most effective dispensing system, or any similar floating system.
The Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer is an inexpensive accessory that will collect leaves and other random debris before it hits the bottom of the pool. Nobody ever said buying a pool would be cheap, but if you’re committed to doing the proper maintenance and you buy the pool then I can guarantee you that Summer will never be the same again — and I mean that in a good way. Having your own pool is a wonderful place that you can take a break from life — and the heat.
If you haven’t figured it out yet, owning a pool requires a bit of effort. If you’re lazy and want to avoid the required upkeep of the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool then you shouldn’t buy one. It’s not a lot of work but you do have to consistently monitor your pool — less so with the salt water system.
You’ll also need a cover for your Intex swimming pool: Intex Solar Pool Cover. You can learn more about at the end of the article.
- Download or view the Instruction guide for the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool.
- Download or view the Owner’s manual for the filter pump (model 603).
If you have specific questions then I suggest you read the FAQ section on the Intex site. Make sure you select the correct pool-type on the left side of the screen. For the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool select “metal frame.”
Learn more about Intex 12x30 metal frame pool at Amazon.
Features (Intex 12x30 metal frame pool):
- Long-lasting Rust-resistant, galvanized Steel Frames.
- Durable laminated sidewalls have 3 separate layers of material for additional strength.
- Easy to remove the water via the included drain plug that connects to a garden hose allowing you to drain water away from your pool area.
- Size: 12′ x 30 inches.
- Comes with a 110-120V Krystal clear filter pump with a 530 gal per hour flow rate.
- Water capacity at 90 percent: 1,718 gallons.
- Reinforced with a wraparound band to keep the frame legs securely in position.
- Comes with a set-up and maintenance DVD.
- Automatically shuts off the pump if electrical current is exposed to water via the ground fault circuit interrupter.
- Better water hygiene and clarity due to the dual suction outlet. Also improved water circulation.
The Intex site has some excellent videos on setting up your metal frame pool, and other components. Here’s a video on basic setup instructions:
More Above Ground Swimming Pools
If you’re unsure about the Intex 12x30 metal frame pool is the right one for you then you have lots of options. I’ve hand-picked a few that are also very good above ground swimming pools. It’s important to determine your needs in order to make the right decision. Here a few factors to consider:
- How many people will use it at one time?
- Level of maintenance you’re willing to do
- Available backyard space
- Preferred shape? Oval, round or rectangular?
If you want to swim laps or play team sports like water volleyball then a rectangular or oval shaped swimming pool is the right choice.
Intex also has a helpful page to help you select the right pool: How to Select an Above Ground Pool.
The Bestway 12x30 above ground swimming pool is a good alternative to the Intex 12x30 model. It’s a similar pool but more expensive. Composed of durable polyester mesh and heavy-duty three-ply PVC walls and a rust-proof frame. Easy to setup and take down at the end of the Summer. Also comes with a setup DVD.
- Measures 12 feet x 30 inches high.
- Includes a PVC repair patch kit.
- Includes a DVD showing you the setup and maintenance.
- Flow drain valve attaches to hose for easy draining.
- 330 gal filter pump.
- Fast & easy assembly.
Includes: 1600g sand filter, ladder, ladder barrier, ground cloth, cover, deluxe maintenance kit, volleyball set, GFCI, setup DVD.
This pool will take a little effort to setup and expect a large delivery box but once this is setup you’ll be in heaven all Summer long.
Includes: Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 1000 gph (gallons per hour), ladder, ground cloth, and debris cover. Set up and maintenance DVD, super tough laminated PVC sidewalls, and convenient drain plug that connects to a garden hose so water can be drained away from pool or house area.
For any inflatable pool you’ll need an electric air pump. You can buy one locally or online. The Intex Quick-Fill Rechargeable Air Pump is a good choice for your inflatable pool.
Features (Intex 15x48 Easy Set pool):
- Equipped with the Ground Fault Interrupter. Will shut off the pump if electrical components are exposed to water.
- Ready for water in 15 minutes.
- Water Capacity: 3736 gallons (80%).
- Recommended ages: 6 years and up.
The Intex 18x10x42 is an excellent above ground swimming pool for the whole family. It’s easy to set up. Perfect for swimming laps and water volleyball with its long, oval-shape. Can fit smaller yards that cannot accommodate large round pools.
Includes: Ladder, ground cloth, pool cover, maintenance kit and wall mounted skimmer.
- Easy set-up: Inflate the top ring and attach the steel frame side supports.
- Durable laminated sidewalls are triple strong: 3 layers of material for added strength.
- Convenient drain plug connects to garden hose for draining.
- Includes set-up and maintenance DVD.
- Includes 110-120 volt Filter Pump with 1,000 gallon (3,785 L) per hour flow rate and GFCI.
- Ready for water in 30 minutes.
- Approximate Set-up Size: 18 ft x 10 ft x 42 in (549cm x 305cm x 107cm).
- Water Capacity (80%): 2,885 Gal (10,920 L).
This Intex 18x52 above ground pool is more durable than most other above ground pool due to it’s extremely tough metal frame.
- Intex 18-feet by 52-inches. 1600 gallons. Combination of pool filtration, salt water system, & convenience
- Advanced environmentally-sensitive filtration and sanitation system using sand and salt.
- Rust-resistant, galvanized steel frames.
- Strong sidewalls composed of 3 separate layers.
- Drain plug connects to garden hose for control over draining.
- Easy maintenance as sand only needs to be routine back-washing and replacement every 5 years; salt never needs replacement under normal conditions
- For ages 6+
- Comes with setup DVD.
- Includes Krystal clear system.
Weighing only 38 lbs this little pool is perfect for kids and it the imagery on the outer sidewall adds a nice artistic touch. I wish more pools had art on the outside of the pool. It looks fantastic.
- Quick set-up: Spread out on firm, level ground, inflate the top ring, and fill with water.
- The pool goes up by itself.
- Touch laminated sidewalls are made with 3 separate layers of material.
- Included drain plug connects to garden hose for convenient draining.
- Set-up and maintenance DVD included.
Keep out debris while keeping the water warm with the Intex Solar Pool Cover. Suitable for 12-foot round pools.
- Solar-heat-retaining cover for 12-foot round pools.
- Reduces evaporation by 95%; retains heat.
- Drain holes to prevent water accumulation.
- Easy to store; Includes a reusable carry bag for storage.
- 1-year limited warranty.